1. It's time for our yearly 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale! Last day is November 30!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a full two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership!

If you would like to extend an existing membership for two more years please contact "Rick" through a conversation/private message as I will have to set up existing memberships manually. Thank you and happy holidays!!!
    Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Resonator Removal on Sport

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2018 Explorer Sport Tuning' started by Rican219, September 4, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. BillyG2014Sport

BillyG2014Sport Member

City, State:
      Delawhere?
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      Maybe that is why they incorporated an X-Pipe into the design to even out the gas pulses and assist with back pressure? It's not their first barbeque so I trust them. They work on all models and makes and put in the research. Like I said it sounds fine and I very pleased with the performance of this truck. Sometimes I honestly can't believe how fast it is. It is deceptively quick and I suprise a lot of people and still managed to retain the factory look.

2. Support EF

Holiday Special through Nov 30! Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Perhaps the tune makes up for any appreciable power loss that you would have noticed. As long as it's running great, that's the important part.
      http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...arket-exhaust-discussion.378262/#post-3557940

Peter

4. midnightsun

midnightsun Member

2016 Explorer Sport
      Removed my post regarding our 4 stroke racing engines because it only relates to Naturally aspirated engines.

You can read about turbo exhausts here. http://www.tercelreference.com/tercel_info/turbo_exhaust_theory/turbo_exhaust_theory.html

Quotes from Article

"FWIW I'm an turbocharger development engineer for Garrett Engine Boosting Systems."

"less pressure downstream of the turbine is goodness. This approach minimizes the time-to-boost (maximizes boost response) and will improve engine VE throughout the rev range. "

" There is no such thing as cylinder scavenging downstream of the turbine, and hence, no reason to desire high exhaust velocity here. You will only introduce unwanted backpressure."

Last edited: August 22, 2016
    5. LROB75

LROB75 New Member

2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      If you look at the Livernois website and look at their cat-back for the Ford Explorer it doesn't look like it has a resonator. I'm starting to wonder if it is a market strategy to get people to buy their products.

6. LROB75

LROB75 New Member

2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      I'm thinking of doing a similar mod but instead of an x-pipe I want to install a custom made h-pipe. Did your muffler guy give you any advice on installing an h-pipe. I've read that h-pipe give a car a more deeper muscle car sound.

7. LROB75

LROB75 New Member

2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      Did you install an x-pipe or h-pipe? Would that help with the drone?

8. LROB75

LROB75 New Member

2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      Did you replace your resonator with an x-pipe or just straight pipes?

9. MSG Kunert

MSG Kunert New Member

City, State:
      Richmond Hill, GA
      2016 Explorer Sport
      I'd like to see where this is going as well? Any word on X or H pipes?

10. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      FYI, the member you quoted hasn't been active here since Oct. 27, 2016.

Peter

11. LROB75

LROB75 New Member

2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      Ok, so I finally removed the secondary cat (basically hollow piece of pipe with a screen inside) and resonator and replaced with an x-pipe. There's definitely a subtly sound increase. There's no drone with the x-pipe installed and the start up sounds a lot nicer than before, Obviously, if you are looking for a significant increase in sound I recommend changing the mufflers which will be my second project. The overall total cost for this project was less than $100. I'm pretty satisfied with my experiment and I would recommend this if you are looking for a little bump in your exhaust sound. Definitely worth more than spending $1000 or more on a full cat-back exhaust. The x-pipe was bought on Amazon and the 2.25" pipe and clamps from JEGS. The only reason I used clamps is to easily put back the stock piece of pipe. Let me know if you questions. Sorry I didn't load pics, I didn't pay for that feature.

Last edited: September 13, 2017
    12. MSG Kunert

MSG Kunert New Member

City, State:
      Richmond Hill, GA
      2016 Explorer Sport
      Can we get an Amazon part number??

13. LROB75

LROB75 New Member

2014 Ford Explorer Sport
    14. reserved50

reserved50 Well-Known Member

2013 Sport Exploder
      https://www.summitracing.com/int/se...5+4294900505+4294895362+4294951518+4294947481

almost any pipe with 4" center to center inlet/outlet will work. The cat also cant be removed for on street use do to emissions.

if your Exploder has under 400hp its not going to improve power by anything noticeable since the factory cat is fairly large to allow flow, over this power level who knows, never tested it.
      If you are one of those drivers that leaves the windows rolled down because you didn't realize it was open since it wasn't any louder, the removal of the 3rd cat isn't going to make a difference in sound especially if that's the only part of the exhaust that was modified. I would guess maybe 15%?? louder with a little more European car sound since its an x-pipe and a not an H. I would think an H-pipe might sound a little more raspy, its not my thing with a V6 but whatever.

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
    15. LROB75

LROB75 New Member

2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      Feel free to do want you want. I'm happy with the results.

16. reserved50

reserved50 Well-Known Member

2013 Sport Exploder
      thank you,. If someone wants to modify their vehicle that's their perogative.