Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

reverse camera wiring

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by drumming1monkey, June 11, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. drumming1monkey

drumming1monkey Member

City, State:
      long island, new york
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2001 explorer sport
      I installed a reverse camera on my 01 sport but need to find the wire for the reverse lights so the camera comes on when I put my truck in reverse. I checked the wire coming from the reverse light itself and it is black and pink. I used a meter to check every black/pink wire in the drivers and passenger running boards and none of them are the correct wire. I'm sure I could run another wire all the way from the taillights but would rather have a wire closer to the head unit.
      I've read that the wire is attached to the neutral safety switch but is there any easier location to run this wire from?
      thanks
      -Matt

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. drumming1monkey

drumming1monkey Member

City, State:
      long island, new york
      2001 explorer sport
      bump... anyone know?

4. rgoltsch

rgoltsch New Member

City, State:
      Fairfield, NJ
      2006 Explorer XLT V8
      I know that it has been a few years since this question was asked, but I figure I'll answer it since I faced the same quest this afternoon.

It is a black wire with a pink stripe. The problem is in my 2001 Explorer Sport Trac, there are five different black/pink wires in the wiring bundle down by the driver's side footwell. It just took me four tries before I found the correct one.

My advice is to keep at it until you find the right one.

Ron