Reverse Sensing System (RSS) Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reverse Sensing System (RSS) Issue

CheesePuff

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer EB 4WD
I have a 2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer with the reverse sensing system. The light on the switch inside now stays light all the time and does not work anymore.

I tried to take off the back strip off the bumper but it doesn't look like that's the way it comes off (I tried a little bit of force but it seems like I was about to rip it off if I tried any harder).

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same issue. Light stays on (meaning automatically shutting offf) but no sound. Every once in a while i get a faint sound for like 2 seconds but nothing else. Always shuts off in reverse and even if i turn it on manually it still does not work. How do we troubleshoot this issue? Anyone?

My sisters 2002 Eddie also has this problem. Her back windows also don't roll down, which started happening about the same time, but may or may not be related. I have searched some but couldn't find much of anything about it.

I have a 2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer with the reverse sensing system. The light on the switch inside now stays light all the time and does not work anymore.

I tried to take off the back strip off the bumper but it doesn't look like that's the way it comes off (I tried a little bit of force but it seems like I was about to rip it off if I tried any harder).

Any suggestions? Thanks!

if still under warranty i would call ford and raise the issue with them.

What about the RSS disabling switch? Any effect when you try to operate it?

Any fix with this reverse sensing issue? Having the same problem for few days now. It will automatically turn off once gear put in reverse, tried switching it back on while in reverse gear and it won't turn on. You have to put it back to park or neutral then you can turn the switch back on. But then again, once you put the gear in reverse, it will turn off again by itself.

Any fix with this reverse sensing issue? Having the same problem for few days now. It will automatically turn off once gear put in reverse, tried switching it back on while in reverse gear and it won't turn on. You have to put it back to park or neutral then you can turn the switch back on. But then again, once you put the gear in reverse, it will turn off again by itself.

Same thing for me for the past couple days..
anyone fix this?

Mine works. In fact, I sort of forgot it even was equipped with it until the first time it went off, and it freaked me out.

It really goes nuts if you're towing a trailer and backing up!

I've had this issue since I bought my '03 XLT a year ago, I didn't realize there was something wrong until now I see all you guys saying the same thing! Every now and then when I put it into reverse it will chirp for no reason, there's nothing behind me in the driveway I know that..

SAME ISSUE again.... any solutions for the RSS???

So I am glad (I guess) to find that I am not the only one with this issue, but it really is kind of a pisser that there isn't a solution short of spending an a$$-load to take it to the dealership... The recommended post on the prior post basically says "your screwed -- go to Ford" -- I don't want to, and I would think that with such a common problem that everybody is having (like the vent door motor on the back HVAC system that is broken, BTW -- anybody else?) HOW do I fix the RSS??? Thanks for the help!

RSS Always Off

Found this old thread with a few diagnostic procedures:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153264

Thanks for this thread and supplemental information. Same problem here on a 2000 Eddie Bauer, just quit working today. My radio LCD has been going in and out for a while now and just noticed it came back on when this RSS became stuck in the "Off" spot. Does anyone know if this is even related? Is the "Fuse" for the RSS called the "Parking Assist" fuse? I can't find anything related to this in the Passenger Fuse Compartment in my manual and in the thread I quoted refers to #26 and #27, which aren't the same on mine apparently and those two fuses are good. I did notice the RSS Light "Off" with flicker when I put it into reverse from park, but always is on. I can't even disable the fuse or switch because I don't know what its called in the manual :(

Also, I checked my brakes lights and those work fine, but the wiring harnesses are pretty nasty looking and somewhat covered in dust or some sort of corrosion from being up North perhaps. I also noticed one of the sensors on the far right has some chips in the sensor. Could this be the problem? Does anyone have a wiring diagram or know where I can find a schematic for this? Have a feeling a fuse might be causing the problem, but am not sure... Any help would be appreciated, I won't take this to the dealership... :(

Thanks for this thread and supplemental information. Same problem here on a 2000 Eddie Bauer, just quit working today. My radio LCD has been going in and out for a while now and just noticed it came back on when this RSS became stuck in the "Off" spot. Does anyone know if this is even related? Is the "Fuse" for the RSS called the "Parking Assist" fuse? I can't find anything related to this in the Passenger Fuse Compartment in my manual and in the thread I quoted refers to #26 and #27, which aren't the same on mine apparently and those two fuses are good. I did notice the RSS Light "Off" with flicker when I put it into reverse from park, but always is on. I can't even disable the fuse or switch because I don't know what its called in the manual :(

Im hunting for the awsner to the back up sensors, but I can help you with the display. The display is a common problem I beleave with the 98-01(I think) That have the top of the line system. That have the AMP and Sub in the back is the easiest way to tell. But with the display going out...Hmmm...Had this problem with mine. I sent it to this guy I met and he completely rebuilt my head unit with new parts! Let me see if I can fine my thread...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205920&highlight=head+unit

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209364&highlight=head+unit

Hope that help you!

Update on my RSS:::

I took the dive following the lead of another post I found on one of the various RSS threads, and bought a sensor, one sensor. It's like the lottery (it might be the control unit or something else), but if you get one on ebay (got mine delivered for about $50), its not as bad as the $120+ the dealership wants.

Actually, I first disassembled the bumper and did the "wiggle" routine, used some air duster, di-electric grease, all to no avail. Then I started with the driverside sensor (swapped for the new one), and voila, it worked. Picked the right one (the bad one) first! Strangely enough, the bad sensor was the one that, physically, appeared to be in the best condition.

So if you can manage pulling apart the bumper cowling and doing the aforementioned routine with compressed air, connector lubing, etc. -- you might not need to buy the sensor... that said, if you do need one, you'll want to just drive your rig around for a couple days with a bare a$$ until you get it working -- it takes at least an hour to get it dis-assembled/assembled... hope that helps!

search parking sensor, reverse sensor, backup sensor, RSS, PAM (parking assist module), etc... the actual sensor was used on a bunch of models I think... best of luck.

Actually, I first disassembled the bumper and did the "wiggle" routine, used some air duster, di-electric grease, all to no avail. Then I started with the driverside sensor (swapped for the new one), and voila, it worked.

That's great news and thanks for the update.
Was your system working intermittently or never worked at all?
My fathers seems to work when it wants to.
Just wondering if a bad sensor would have that symptom. Im sure he'd pay $50 to attempt to figure this out though.

Well I just looked on ebay and someone has them for $8 each.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...oryZ6779QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Looked up the part number and they fit just about every Ford model from 02-08.
Ford Direct Parts sells these for $83. List price is $118.

so I bought 4. Total was $36 shipped.
Figure for that price Ill try it.
I'll have to send them to my father and then wait for him to install them so I wont have results for a while. Will post back at some point to let everyone know.

Back