RF CV Shaft Replacement

thebrakeman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Canton, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mercury Mountaineer
RF CV boot (outer) is torn, and I want to fix it whenever spring ACTUALLY arrives here in Michigan. From what I can see, replacing the entire shaft is the way to go, with the assumption that I'm not spending over $300 for the Motorcraft.

Rockauto::
APWI - $37 - 12 month warranty
HERI - $41 - Limited Lifetime
SURTRACK/TRACKMOTIVE - $49 - Limited Lifetime (but says not if boot is damaged...no thanks!)
CARDONE SELECT - $54 - Limited Lifetime

Thoughts? Anyone with experience?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haven't had to do this yet so I'm watching.

And bumping the thread.

I just had to replace the left one about 1 month ago. Went online to Advanceautoparts.com. Running a 20% off online special. Brand new with limited lifetime warranty for $64. Used these for other vehicles and never had a problem with them. Orderd it online and picked up a hour later at my local store. Couple bucks more than online but saved and had it fixed the same day

Got one from Detroit Axle on eBay for about 50, no problems.

RF CV boot (outer) is torn, and I want to fix it whenever spring ACTUALLY arrives here in Michigan. From what I can see, replacing the entire shaft is the way to go, with the assumption that I'm not spending over $300 for the Motorcraft.
I have a brand new right front Motorcraft one still in the box I'll sell you...I actually have both sides.
List price at the dealer is $694.75 each...I'll do both for $600 shipped or make me an offer.

Wow, Ford wants $ 700 for a CV shaft.
So technically, my 06 with 263 k miles is worth about 2 1/2 CV shafts (book value of about 1,800) LOL

Wow, Ford wants $ 700 for a CV shaft.
So technically, my 06 with 263 k miles is worth about 2 1/2 CV shafts (book value of about 1,800) LOL
And that is one of the ways they get you to buy a new vehicle. If you do dealer service only then at some point it no longer makes financial sense to repair.

Of course, I think most of us figured that out years ago.

And we know a way around it :thumbsup:

I have a brand new right front Motorcraft one still in the box I'll sell you...I actually have both sides.
List price at the dealer is $694.75 each...I'll do both for $600 shipped or make me an offer.
Thanks, but I already said I'm not spending that kind of money.

I just had to replace the left one about 1 month ago. Went online to Advanceautoparts.com. Running a 20% off online special. Brand new with limited lifetime warranty for $64. Used these for other vehicles and never had a problem with them. Orderd it online and picked up a hour later at my local store. Couple bucks more than online but saved and had it fixed the same day
You didn't say what brand it was.

Back