Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2 | Page 155 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2

Carpentry

Garage conversion looks great and could more overhead room be an indication of suspension 37" or larger meats? More shelving is also attractive and the whole idea of more lighting alone would sell me on the project. I actually have overheads at each end of my work shop, for both increased access and utility and cross flow ventilation. I installed lighting above the doors also but when opened, which is most of the time they are blocked off by the doors just wasting electricity. Course during the winter the lights work just fine.
I envy the thought of any rain let alone every day. Just too dry and wild fires are a constant danger to outdoor activity. Couldn't agree more with you on the SAS benefits and quirky TTB just about sums it up only much more kindly than some comments I have seen. I've seen the cut, bent & lengthened TTB work amazingly well but a lot of time and $$ were involved to reach the level displayed...difference might just not be worth the trouble and though the race trucks are amazing most of us are just trailing and not competing. Guess you can tell I'm leaning more towards the SAS, coilovers and linking...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tuscarora-20111004-00545.jpg

Getting closer to finishing this garage door job.

Tuscarora-20111004-00546.jpg

The inside of the door has those bracings at 2' centers. The far left panel is the only one so far that has the interior piece on. Behind this one is 1/2" insulation.

Its looking great Rick! :thumbsup:

Garage conversion looks great and could more overhead room be an indication of suspension 37" or larger meats?

:thumbsup: including lower gearing.

the whole idea of more lighting alone would sell me on the project

I'll probably be puttintg up more lights tomorrow where the 16' wide roll up door used to be.

Couldn't agree more with you on the SAS benefits and quirky TTB just about sums it up only much more kindly than some comments I have seen. I've seen the cut, bent & lengthened TTB work amazingly well but a lot of time and $$ were involved to reach the level displayed...difference might just not be worth the trouble and though the race trucks are amazing most of us are just trailing and not competing. Guess you can tell I'm leaning more towards the SAS, coilovers and linking...

I agree that there are some bad a$$ TTBs but for what I do it would not out perform the solid axle. I'm sure in some forms of racing under a whole lot different style terrain and speeds that I do, it would work.
But this is not some light weight dessert racer taking all those jumps and such.
The lack of forced articulation, not enough droop, too much camber change, too many parts which include an extra U-joint I do believe, now throw in the evil drop bracket which is weak enough without lengthening it which really produced a tremendous leverage effect, well you can see why I'll never run another one. Now throw in the fact that I'm crawling along really slow.
Give this some thought...When Ford wanted the strongest axle in their large work horse trucks, they designed the D60 solid not the D60 ttb. Never ever built a D60 ttb. Why take a step backwards in strength.

Now a different truck under different conditions, then that's another matter. Not some full size overweight 5000+ lbs non-chopped B2 dessert racer wannabe doing 12" jumps and then proclaiming how great they are LOL.
Something along the lines of a Ranger with super long travel A arms with rear links that go over half way to the front bumper would be cool.

Last edited:

Its looking great Rick! :thumbsup:

Thanks MrQ. It will look a whole lot better once trimmed all out in weather proofing and some exterior white paint.

The fact that this is all done for the anticipated suspension work is a clear example of the Tail Wagging the Dog.

Tuscarora-20111005-00555.jpg

Plenty of room now for all kinds of suspension and tire heights. A lot more work to be done on this Trail Truck. And it's going to stay on that path as a dedicated Super easy to work on Trail Rig.
Only thing left to do for larger tires in to recut the rear of the rear wheel well once I get the new meats.
37s seem a little lame now.

IMG-20111006-00558.jpg

Oops, forgot to add Work Truck to..DD/Trail Truck/Hot Rod.
Makes for a good portable ladder. Just step on the inside of the rim, top of tire, exo cage and then into bed. From show field to work field, what ever it takes.
Installing some aluminum flashing to the 14" overhang.

Potomac-20111005-00557.jpg

Could just cut the crane vertical boom down to clear the garage opening but I like the height of it. But not going to have it bouncing around in the bed either. So need to make some hold down brackets. After the hunting season I'll just leave it sitting in the garage except when loading driveline goodies.

Potomac-20111007-00566.jpg

Potomac-20111007-00567.jpg

Hey, you didn't think I was not going to test out the new crane did ya.
From using as this truck as a ladder one day to filling the larder the next.
I've got thousands upon thousands of $$ and time for it not to be earning it'
s keeps.
The swing out tire carrier came in handy also.
There were days I would not to have mechanical help. Ah youth.
Should have seen the looks from all the "Good Ole Boys". Which BTW, if you haven't noticed I'm president of ha ha. As I drove home with those two large hams still sticking out above with the crane attached to.
They opened the Bow season early this year in hopes of thinning the herd.

Tuscarora-20111007-00568.jpg

Next time I go I'll take the game hook instead of using the tire iron ha ha.
After checking in and getting it tagged, up it goes in the garage with the AC blowing right on it. Next I quickly skinned it.
No working on the garage door while the meat is cooling off. It was 48 deg this morning but quickly started to warm up.

Last edited:

Bigger is always better when it comes to tires, but I think regearing is going to rear it's ugly head pretty soon. I can't imagine what the proper gears would do I'n taking strain off the motor, but knowing you they will only lead to better, and bigger, things. :)

Bigger is always better when it comes to tires, but I think regearing is going to rear it's ugly head pretty soon. I can't imagine what the proper gears would do I'n taking strain off the motor, but knowing you they will only lead to better, and bigger, things. :)

Ya, I'll have to do my home work on tire dia/diff ratio using the 8.8 and the Aussie front D44. I do believe there's a carrier break that might also play into the equation at 3:73. But I'm going to keep in mind that the lower gears also get weaker in strength. So let's just say that 4.88 (5:13 more like it) on paper looks the best, but the 4.56 has a stronger pinion gear due to it's size then I'll step down one size to the 4.56 and let the engine torque make up the difference. Well that's what I say now. Then other things may also have to be changed as in the Power valve in the carb to open the secondaries.
I just can't imagine the brute force Samson would unleash then.
Then throw in that I have a 9" in waiting.
No matter what...the Atlas is waiting for this mod ha ha.
I've already talked to Moser Engineering on some stronger axles.

Pinion

Pinion as you know gets smaller and weaker as gear ratio goes lower, I settled for 4.56 for the 8.8" (yet to be installed) for that very reason and I'm just running 33" BFG/MT & also 35" Swampers on occassion. Ford 9" & 5.11 ratio should be significantly stronger than even the 4.56 8.8"...if I remember correctly, course double check me cause I've been wrong several times just today. If your going past 37" meats with your tork, like to spell it like that, goin' to be some serious twist back there...in more than just 1 location. Problem is you got some investment already with just the Aussie in the 8.8"....stuff like this sometimes makes me think I should buy me some Ducks to farm as a hobby 'stead of trucks! lol
Oh yeah nice doe and I personally like the spinner tire wrench as a meat hook. bet 'ya got some looks on that one...especially from the tree huggers! Probably still gagging by the roadside...gotta get me one of those car cam things you told me 'bout!

Interesting about what you said about the 9" vs the 8.8 even though the 9" is lowered gear.
Need to check that out. Also the Aussie is in the front D44 the 8.8 is welded locker.
Did not explain that well enough.

I think the 9" would be a good upgrade especially with the bigger meats you'll be turning. Then get an Aussie for that and discs. Samson would be unstoppable, er... much stronger. ;)

Lincoln locker

Interesting about what you said about the 9" vs the 8.8 even though the 9" is lowered gear.
Need to check that out. Also the Aussie is in the front D44 the 8.8 is welded locker.
Did not explain that well enough.

I really need to get that Evelyn Woods course on reading & the one by Jerry Lucas on improving memory, bought the Ginko but forgot where I put it! Truth is I just flat forgot which end you put the Aussie in,( that sounds kinda dirty)...but actually won't be the waste I was afraid it might be. Though I probably would have tried to talk you out of it, as I haven't yet placed my order for a Richmond locker. Cheers!

9" carrier

I pulled a receipt for a 9" I bought several years ago on which I found some notes as to what it consisted of, because I had researched the 9 " and bought what I deemed the best for an extremely high HP setup.
It was a 31 spline, nodular case out of a 71 or 72 Ranchero...I added Moser axle and a Detroit locker & I believe a 4.88 for a blown & nitrosed match racer (don't condone, just what it was) for the customer. Didn't show what axle width was but I know these can be cut down for a fact.
There were a few years that the Torino had the same setup, but Ranchero would be the easiest to find I'm thinking....steer away from 28 spline units. If I could find one in good shape I would go for it if for no other reason the removable carrier that will make your life so much easier if your changing 'em out frequently. Sorry couldn't verify the pinion story Currie or Richmond gear could, just know that 1500 Hp on the strip will test a rear end and the big boys run 9" most frequently.

Last edited:

The stock 8.8 31 spline is almost as strong as the D60.

Just thought to throw another option at you here.:)

Superior makes Chromoly shafts in 5 lug on 4.5" & 5.5" that is 35% stronger than stock. Plus they are a little wider to give an inch/side width gain. You can match the front D44 lug pattern with the 5.5" axles, keep your 8.8 set up as is, and have incredible strength.

The shafts are 4340 chromoly with 31 splines and a large axle bearing found on 35-spline custom Dana 60 axles. The big bearing indexes into the new end flange and has more than twice the capacity of the stock roller bearing. The bearings and seals come pressed onto the axleshafts, so you don't need a press or a machine shop to help you.

Read more: http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techar...super_88_axle_kit/photo_09.html#ixzz1a9uz5nTU
131_0610_11_z+super_88_kit+axleshafts.jpg

The kit comes with the C-clip eliminators as well.

drool....drool..... nice!!

I've looked into this setup as well and one would need adapters, spacers on the front to match the rear width. Any ideas on where to get these spacers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dana 60

Gmanpaint has it exactly right the Dana 60 axles and bearings are tough & the ring gear size is 9.75" and this makes a huge difference in pinion size and number of teeth making contact at any given time with the numerically higher gear sets...simplifed explanation if a 9" ring gear has an approximately 3" pinion for a 3 to 1 size differential, as an example, for say a 3.08 to1 gear ratio. As the ratio is lowered fewer teeth are employed on the pinion/ring and as you reach the 5.88 or lower range you may be engaging only 1 or 2 teeth at a time, so those teeth have to be really tough. This is a primary reason that the 9.75" Dana 60 has a pinion/ring advantage over the Ford 9" the ring is larger and so is the pinion, thus allowing more teeth at a given ratio to engage.

dirtcowboy had a setup question, which as far as I know, may be only the first of several for your purposes with the Dana 60. Ford 9" doesn't have great bearing size but they make up for this with a strong pinion support in the very easy to service carrier housing, no axle clips as 4 bolts retain the axle at the hub, very safe, and will handle large "tork", price is between cheap and unreal expensive to build...depends on your requirements... and it's strong. Over 30 gear sets are available for the 9" and seems everyone builds standard and performance products for them.

Been awhile since I've been inside a 60 but I think gear sets are available up to about 7.5 to 1 Ratios.I beleive the Ford9" only runs to about 6.5to1, which I have never seen, and the 8.8" ring & pinion sets only go to the low 5 to 1 range. Just by the ratios offered you can see that the vendors don't want to make a product they can't afford to warranty. I wanted to run 4.88 in my 8.8" and backed off to 4.56 as a compromise to strength & my largest tires are 35"x12.5".
Ford 9" or Dana 60 should support up to 40" and mid 5 ratio, but Dana 60 has to get the nod somewhere in that combination range. If 44" tires or larger & 5.88 + ratio are in your future think Rockwells, cause size does matter!

Back