Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2 | Page 156 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2

i don't know man, for the 8.8 the change from 4.56 to 4.88 should be a very negligible change in terms of strength, but the jump to 5.13 is where it makes a significantly smaller ring gear.

we run 60's out here a lot more than the popular hybrid 9 in axles that seem to be really popular elsewhere in the country, my buddies truck horton for example has a shaved 14 bolt in the rear, and a bone stock 60 in the front(with the exception of the detroit locker) and he runs 42's all day with almost no breakage ever. he had 44's on but was always paranoid about breaking stuff, even though he almost never did. and thats in a pretty heavy rig, at just about 5700 lbs. when we start talking about a vehicle that is 2000 lbs lighter i would have 0 problem running a stock 60 with 44's on mine, yeah i would have 0 problem with that hahahaha :D. now im posting to your thread and getting ideas again!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now just to cloud up the water some, I'm thinking the weight or lack there of on the rear axle might just make a smaller axle a little stronger then what Ford designed it for.
I mean if I put the jack under the front 4 link on the furthest link towards the rear, which is still more to the front in linear feet, the rear still wants to come up first.
So what I've noticed is the rear will break traction due to the much lighter friction coefficient. With that 50 cent word, Dana 60 sure sounds cool no matter what. Especially viewed from the rear.
I forgot all about the pinion to ring gear foot print, if I may steal those words.

At this point still undecided on an axle but the added weight of a 60 which would be weight added low sure would be nice. Even if it is unsprung weight.

Tuscarora-20111008-00571.jpg

So nice to have all that space above truck that used to be taken up by the roll up door, not mentioning all the lighting that is now not blocked. Of course the main reason is for suspension mods and larger meats.

Checked out a few D60 axles on craigslist, sure seems cheap enough to consider one. Hmm
Don't want to get a 9" with all the goodies, only to wish I had of gotten a 60 and then to buy another locker and more rear link hardware. And who knows one day this truck may not pass the yearly modified inspection and then it will be "Katie bar the door cause the mods are coming" ha ha.
Hey, gotta give um somethin to talk about.

Still need to check out the ring gear thickness and pinion size in a 9" compared to a 60. The nine might just be thicker in any gear ratio, Need to call some gear suppliers. The ability to yank out the center section would be a benefit also.
A custom built HP 9" would be cool but mighty costly.

I really had Way too much time on my hands, so I made these worthless videos. But it was fun trying not to crash through the new door or the back wall.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...ew&current=torquetest14rearaxleonlypinned.mp4

This is really a case study in applied torque under different set ups.
In this vid only the rear axle is engaged in low. I call this my Hot Rod mode. With a pair of slicks it would easily carry the front wheels.
Interesting watching all vids and how the working dynamics change depending on how the driveshafts are engaged and if the rear torque arm suspension is wristed or not.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...current=torquetest15lowbothaxlesandpinned.mp4

Here both axles are engaged and the rear radius arm still has the pull pin installed.
RPM is only around 900. Afraid to give it too much peddle for fear of crashing into the wall ha ha.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...=torquetest16bothaxlesinlowrearisunpinned.mp4

Here both axles are engaged and the rear now has the pin removed.
Now doing trails I would not be giving it gas like this, but it does show how the suspension changes. Gets a little radical now.
Remember that each corner only has one half inch diameter bolt at bottom of the coilover so there's a lot of twisting and flexing going on. It would have a totally different handling characteristics if there were a large coil spring and then a shock next to it as in a more conventional suspension.
Must admit it's fun sitting in this thing doing this.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...ew&current=Torquetest17frontaxleonlyinlow.mp4

Now with just the front axle engaged it's a totally different acting beast.

I could change the links for a different ride, but i like the way it is.

Went over to an old friend of mine who's an avid Hot Rodder who has several rear axles he said I could have.
Him and his dad have been into cars for years, I mean ultra cool show cars, drag cars and roundy round dirt track cars.
Well I went over yesterday and looked at 4 Ford axles that he was not too sure what model they were. He thought some were D60s but I quickly noticed that two had the 70 casting into the housing which means only one thing...both Dana 70s and they were full floating. Only thing was that they are both duallys. Just need to know about changing over to one tire and how involved it would be to cut down being that the axles shafts are longer then for a single wheel application.
I really don't see a problem changing to disc brakes with all the aftermarket stuff.
I'll try to get some pics today.
Be cool if i can get it under the Bronco in the rear.
Could always use the second one for parts or make a front axle out of using the center section with some modifications.
Hate to see um go to the salvage yard or being used as boat anchors.
The again, just hold on to them and use as they are if this truck is taken off the street and trailered for hard core wheeling.
Oh ya, the others, one is a Sterling and the other a D44 ttb. Like I'd yank out the solid for that 44 Uni sex axle.
I told ya that the crane was also going to be used for lifting axles.

Contacts

Great find no matter if used now or latter, looks almost inevitable that the law will eventually force the more agressive trail rigs off the highways, but the 70 would not only add strength but also more weight bias to the rear. Have a friend who just took a GM dually axle down to a single but wasn't around during the conversion, just know he did a great job on it and has been driving on it for the past few weeks with no concerns.

Appreciate your thoughts on this, thanks.

Potomac-20111011-00596.jpg

This is at my friends Emporium of back yard axles.
The two closest to you with no tires are the D70s. One with tires is the Sterling or sometimes called the 10.25. Then there's another Dana laying behind it the D44 tnt.

Potomac-20111011-00593.jpg

Potomac-20111011-00585.jpg

Note the two different casting #s. One does measure a little longer, this one may be the Cab & Chaise type.

Potomac-20111011-00594.jpg

Potomac-20111011-00598.jpg

May have to check out what's under this one.

After I took these pics, I went to where Joe works where he owns a HVAC shop, the same one I used for years when I needed to do some sheet metal cutting or bending on my truck.
Now his shop is about 5 miles from where I took the pics, then he lays this on me. Go around the back of the shop and see whats under the E350 Cargo box van with no transmission. Hmm, well low and behold it's another D70 which has not been out in all the weather.
I need to talk to him about this one. Just for grins and chuckles I looked on the door to check out axle code, sure enough it confirmed the D70. He may want some $$ for this one, I don't know yet. But he did say that he could lift the body up with some of his heavy equipment and cut it right out. Insert another Hmm.

i don't know of much appreciable difference between the sterling or the 70, if i had the oppurtunity id grab all of them and have a surplus of 1 ton axles laying around, maybe to barter for the front hp 60 your gonna want to match it. but now seriously, are you planning on running over 40" tires on your rig, now that i think of it seems like overkill for your rig, plus you gotta buy new wheels and you'll want want to convert to disc brakes. seems like a big investment for how you use your rig. I mean you can dd a rig on 40's or 42's but lets be realistic, we haven't seen you on a ton of trails that are going to require that size tire. so the only thing you can really do in this situation is ship one of those axles to me... lol

You had me going ha ha. Yep no trails that require 40s until 40s. And don't forget the $$ for some deeper gears.

IMG-20111012-00601.jpg

The only thing left before the front end loader comes and raises the truck is to make sure that it's not a 3:07 as per Superior axle. If it is...don't waste my time on it.
He won't let me have all 3, but at least I know where they are. Love to use the center section of one of the other 70s re tube and make a front axle using 60 parts if I could not find a front 70 which there are not too many of.
Being that I sold the Ex which I was going to use for a tow/chase truck, can't be metal to the pedal Banzi runs untill I do find some other truck.
Over kill, maybe, over priced, no way.
But actually it'good timing if it's not a 3:07 and I get it. Cause now I know not to do the 3 link rear yet.

Appreciate your thoughts on this, thanks.

This is at my friends Emporium of back yard axles.
The two closest to you with no tires are the D70s. One with tires is the Sterling or sometimes called the 10.25. Then there's another Dana laying behind it the D44 tnt.

Note the two different casting #s. One does measure a little longer, this one may be the Cab & Chaise type.

May have to check out what's under this one.

After I took these pics, I went to where Joe works where he owns a HVAC shop, the same one I used for years when I needed to do some sheet metal cutting or bending on my truck.
Now his shop is about 5 miles from where I took the pics, then he lays this on me. Go around the back of the shop and see whats under the E350 Cargo box van with no transmission. Hmm, well low and behold it's another D70 which has not been out in all the weather.
I need to talk to him about this one. Just for grins and chuckles I looked on the door to check out axle code, sure enough it confirmed the D70. He may want some $$ for this one, I don't know yet. But he did say that he could lift the body up with some of his heavy equipment and cut it right out. Insert another Hmm.

The cab and chassis axles are actually narrower. They used standard single rear wheel axles since they didn't have to be wide enough to fit under a dually bed. The 3.07 gears were only available on the dana 61 on fords as I recall, the dana 70's shouldn't have a carrier issue. (Dodge used a bunch of them in 3/4 ton trucks, but I don't think ford did, and certainly not on a cab/chassis 1 ton van) The sterling/ford 10.25 is a great axle as well, if its cheap, I might look into that, and its really easy to put disk brakes on it. http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72090

gotta love the Dana 50 TTB hiding in the background. I have that under my truck, and you really gotta wonder WTF ford was thinking when they made a TTB system with leaf springs.

gotta love the Dana 50 TTB hiding in the background. I have that under my truck, and you really gotta wonder WTF ford was thinking when they made a TTB system with leaf springs.

Thanks for the clear up on the C&C axle.
Sounds like you know your stuff on these axles. Appreciate your input as always.
Further back is a D30 solid that I did not take a pic of.

To tell you the truth, you really gotta wonder WTF ford was thinking when they made a TTB system in the first place ;) Other then to help the dwindling sales of the solid axle ride of the early Bronco so more women would find the soft ride not so hard on their soft bottoms :D
Now this came from Ford not me. Hence the name Uni Sex axle.

I agree about the Sterling being simple to do the disc brake thing and strong with the large ring and pinion, but the fact that they have so many D70s laying around for possible spare parts, I think I'll just stay with the 70s. In fact there are two of those E350 sitting behind their shop. So it's a Mother Load of spare parts ha ha.

To tell you the truth, you really gotta wonder WTF ford was thinking when they made a TTB system in the first place ;) Other then to help the dwindling sales of the solid axle ride of the early Bronco so more women would find the soft ride not so hard on their soft bottoms :D
Now this came from Ford not me. Hence the name Uni Sex axle.

yeah im sure that came straight from the ford literature, for you women and your soft bottoms we are introducing for the 1980 model year the all new unisex axle!

lol yeah id take the 70 as well, you can go suuuuuuper deep on the gearing and there are a zillion locker choices, course you gotta think of the cost of those parts. Im pretty sure both choices are fairly simple to change to disc brakes. not considering the dana 30 huh? lmao neither would i... :(, if i had the choice

Now I was paraphrasing the reason they went to that axle, they may have said "soft gluteus maximus's" :dunno:

Your so right about all the lockers and so many gear offerings.

Potomac-20111011-00594.jpg

If all this hardware creates a problem with the links or coilovers it will all be cut off and then cut axle to correct size and install 9" large bearing ends welded to the axle tube. Then have a custom set of 5 x 5.5" super strong axles made. then I'd keep my 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern and still have a way to keep the axles in place if they did snap and an easy way to add disc brakes.
But will know more after I get the axle and remove that large drum and see where the disc brake hardware would go. May just go this route anyway being the axle needs to be cut anyway.
Save some money on changing front dana44 to 8 lug and getting 5 new rims.
Be different if i did not have to pass inspection with the tires sticking out too far and the height of the truck.
Plus I really like the outboard COs and the way the rear links are. Don't want to relocate more inboard.

yeah, I'm still lurking around, even though I don't have an explorer anymore. (well, I have a wrecked one.)

even if you kept the 8 lug, the front's are super easy to convert to 8 lug. Not only did ford/chevy/dodge make a TON of 8 lug D44s/10bolts (The spindles and rotors are interchangable) but you can also salvage the spindles and rotors off a 80-97 F-250 std cab 4x4 with the dana 44 leaf sprung TTB. Easy to tell the difference because the 44 uses a small lockout, wereas the D50 uses a D60 lockout which is about 3 inches in diameter.

"saddle"

Checked out a few D60 axles on craigslist, sure seems cheap enough to consider one. Hmm
Don't want to get a 9" with all the goodies, only to wish I had of gotten a 60 and then to buy another locker and more rear link hardware. And who knows one day this truck may not pass the yearly modified inspection and then it will be "Katie bar the door cause the mods are coming" ha ha.
Hey, gotta give um somethin to talk about.

Still need to check out the ring gear thickness and pinion size in a 9" compared to a 60. The nine might just be thicker in any gear ratio, Need to call some gear suppliers. The ability to yank out the center section would be a benefit also.
A custom built HP 9" would be cool but mighty costly.

Pinion size is important but just as important is bearing strength and "support" all the Dana axles are supported only on the back shaft whereas the Ford 9" & the GM 14 bolt have a shaft which extends past the pinion gear crown which supports a bearing riding on a front bearing "saddle" and is referred to as a straddle support pinion design...pinion gear is supported on both fore and aft shafts, lot more involved than just size in good design...don't think you can go wrong with either Dana 60 or 70 as they are great diffs for all the reasons that have been stated in previous posts, but they lack this extra bearing support regardless of what the pinion shaft diameter is.
A pinion gear, all other things being equal, has a tendency to want to walk up or climb out of contact with the opposed ring gear teeth, especially when ratios are lowered and fewer teeth are engaged, this is one of the major causes of ring gear and pinion failures; the increased support at the top shaft on the Ford and GM 14 bolt diffs keeps the teeth more fully engaged which helps to prevent gear failure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To tell you the truth, if he had 14 bolts instead of D70s that were free and he had extras laying around I'd take the 14 bolts but since it's D70s I'm taking the 70s. It all boils down to economics at this point in time.
I really don't think either one would brake under this truck anyway.

Well I found out that the 52 code on the door says it's a 4:10. This is great cause if it was a 3:07 that means it has a unique case design due to the larger pinion dia of the gears, forget it.

I'll see what I can do to keep the 8 lug 91EB cause I like the way the axle shaft is not supporting the weight of the truck with FF hubs. Like it's going to hurt it anyway with this light rig. But it sure would have a killer look to it. But who knows, time will tell.
I know the fact that the axle is free does not mean that a ton of money will still be dropped on this mod. That's if Joe hurrys up and gets the darn front end loader down there before the snow starts flying.

Back