Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2 | Page 158 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2

Love it, just no reason to make a bad shot. If you can split aspirins at 40' there's no reason for a bad shot. It's just that accurate with the scope.
Somewhere back I posted a video of it doing this.
I have the special crossbow permit that i got due to that damn Brown Recluse spider bite that dissolved some of my ligaments in my left shoulder.
Knew I was in trouble after I smashed it. No pain at that time, but never had any bite that itched so much, then over 40 days and nights of shoulder burning while the first layer of skin fell off. Only thing that really saved my shoulder was I went to the doctor the next day and took medicine for so many days straight.
In WV there is only two disabilities that allow for the use of a Crossbow to hunt. One is a shoulder injury the other is a hand. Went for therapy for a year after being bit. Not a fun thing seeing your skin rot off. Got bit while Spring Turkey hunting, darn thing climbed up into my loose fitting hunting jacket.
I just can't hold a bow out with left arm anymore. What I do now is to build a blind and rest bow on limb

I've been shooting a long bow since I was 12 so it's not like I have not shot a long bow. When I first started bowhunting their was no such thing as a compound bow.

Yeah, TN and AL both allow crossbows during regular archery season, though I don't know anyone that uses one. Used to require a disability, but they changed it a couple years ago.

What kind do you shoot?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Potomac-20111030-00643.jpg

It was an unique experience driving around the open snow covered fields the day after the wet snow with the Atlas in front wheel drive only.
Not mentioning all the fallen trees and limbs along the roads. Most of the snow had melted when this pic was taken.
The fact that most the trees still have their leaves coupled with the wet snow was Mother Natures way of pruning Millions of trees I suppose.

Being that the rear is locked it has a tendency to want to push you through the turns or maybe saying that it wants to make a wider turn radius would be a better way of saying it.
But that changes quick once you push the rear axle stick into N position.
It was a totally different beast driving this way with the front Aussie going in an out of lock.
I had to really grasp the steering wheel firmly cause it had a tendency to want to jerk hard one way or the other. This could be hazardous on snow covered roads doing faster speeds.
But it sure wheeled better on the tight turning slow trails with no power going to rear axle.

Did some hunting on the farm before playing in the snow and found these bear tracks about 40' from my stand under this Pear tree. Which BTW are great baking pears Both pics are of his/her rear foot. The rear foot leaves an impression just like a humans bare foot print. The front leaves an impression as if you just placed your palm in the snow and added some toe prints to it.
Generally I don't bother hunting the bears and don't purchase a Bear stamp, but if this keeps going on, I may just change my mind. Especially if the front pug mark had of been around 5" wide :eek: instead of the 3" wide one that I found. I would love to capture him on my video mounted on my Parker built Xbow.

Almost got this Buck yesterday. Look close as he walks away and you can see his rack which came out even with his ears. What happened is this long eye lashed doe came out and he changed his mind about coming closer to me, can you blame him, I mean think about it, how would you feel if you only worked your hydraulics once a year ;) May have to view in full screen.

Last edited:

Posted Broncobra's thread

guess Rookie's been hunting the fabled stag (venison roast or a nice stew of stag sounds tasy right now) at least I hope you been wheelin' 'lil Sampson some.

Every day since the hunting season started. No rocks or poser shots but a lot of soft forrest trails which are mostly mud and open fields the farmers let me cross since there are no crops growing now.

AdamStephens-20111102-00650.jpg

Here's one of the best mods I've made. I've had enough of Dunkins coffee spilling all over my hunting clothes after washing them each evening in scent free detergent. Don't laugh, it took a lot of planning to get the position right.
Think about it, had to be able to get to heater controls, Atlas twin sticks, my knee, ignition switches and be able to read the tranny temp.

IMG-20111102-00649.jpg

Tuscarora-20111110-00660.jpg

At least i give the off-road lights a work out each morning and evening along private property trails and front hubs get a work out also, can't have then rust in the unlock position ha ha.
The rear cargo light and backup lights come in real handy when locking all the gates i drive thru.

Potomac-20111015-00614.jpg

Now let's not forget the winch this time of the year also. Here it is getting ready to pull up a hunters buck after i reeled out some cable. Samson is at the top of the hill getting ready to flex his muscle.

Potomac-20111015-00617.jpg

The receiver front/rear crane also gets a work out this time of the year.
And here is his buck that was pulled via winch.
I'll drive it about a half mile over fields to his truck.

But later this year or early Spring there will be some major and I mean major mods.
Sitting in tree stand for hours on end is where I come up with next years mods, what else is there to think about...Well there was this girl in Chicago once.

Last edited:

Stand thoughts

Really Rookie actually winching but thinking of wenching, haha...reports of our deaths have been greatly exagerated. Sounds like there is plenty of life left in 'ya!!

Major mods sounds interesting. What could they be?:rolleyes:

Really Rookie actually winching but thinking of wenching, haha...reports of our deaths have been greatly exagerated. Sounds like there is plenty of life left in 'ya!!

Major mods sounds interesting. What could they be?:rolleyes:

Well according to my Heart doc who I spent some time with last week doing some cardiogram and ultra sound tests I should be alright for another hunting season anyway ha ha.
I'm telling you now when that big ole ten point went running by me chasing a doe a few days ago, my heart went from 65 beats to around 95 in a split second.
In fact that's why so many hunters have heart attacks each year during the hunting season according to the National Heart Association. It's not from dragging the deer but from the heart accelerating so rapidly, they said there's not much in a mans life which causes this phenomena. '
I would like to add that girl in Chicago did a nice job also. But it was the way she flexed that got me thinking of the 3 point rear suspension that I would like to incorporate on the D70 that is, when Joe ever gets that E350 loaded on the trailer.
Then a rear Air Locker installed also. The added weight of the D70 would just add so much more traction which correlates to more axle strain while turning on dry pavement with the welded rear. Plus with the Air Locker I would add the second striker brake to make turning this truck so Trick when disengaging the rear axle while unlocking the locker. The dual wheel and drum brakes would be diced for single wheel & discs.
It would just add another diminsion to the build and the way it handles.
A York AC compressor is also in the plans along with an air tank. Unless I just use the ARB set up.
Of course deeper diff gears also.
Not mentioning I've been checking into front D60 or 70 also.

Last edited:

DSC08306.jpg

DSC08308.jpg

DSC08311.jpg

DSC08325.jpg

First 4 pics shows how when I built the 23 gallon fuel cell I added an in tank large fuel filter encompassed by stuff I had laying around shop.

Potomac-20111113-00670.jpg

Well I thought it was about time to inspect the inside of the fuel cell and condition of filter.
So off comes the access door which I made large enough to get my hands into.

Potomac-20111113-00671.jpg

Other then some small pieces of silicone that I used to seal the access panel everything looked fine including the filter.
The filter sets over a 1 gallon sump which as I suspected looked fine being that all the gas has to filter through the media first.
I actually used the same filter when I put it all back together.

Just a little preventive maintenance.

Potomac-20111011-00596.jpg

Talked to my buddy Joe today and he says forget taking the one out of the E350 cause he don't have time to load it up on the trailer, instead take one of the D70s that are already out and laying in his backyard :thumbsup:
He was going to use them in his race cars but is too busy opening up his own restaurant.

Potomac-20111011-00593.jpg

Potomac-20111011-00585.jpg

I'll check out which one looks better for my build. One is the D70 SU and the other is the D70 1SU. I'll pull covers off both and snoop around inside and also count some teeth. I think the carrier break is 4:10
Cant wait to load one up and bring back to garage. I'm sure if I need parts off the other he'll let me have.

Ok, just did some research and the D70 1su is known as the "Super 70"
If you look at the pic of the axles laying on the ground, the one on the plywood is the Super 70 or D70 1su. So far I found out it has the tear drop housing.
You can definitely see a difference between the other 70 laying on the ground if front of the 1su. Guess i need to call Superior before selecting which one.
got to admit the name of "Super 70" does interest me. But is missing pass side hub unless he has it. Have to see if it's hard to get parts for this model and also what type gears are available.

Found this on Pirate
*70-1SU (.625” offset) Super 70. Little info available, Dana lists only available ratios as 4.10 and 4.56. Teardrop housing and HD tubes and outers.

edit: Just found out a tad more about the 1su D70. Sounds interesting for sure, just hope he has all the parts. i Like the 35 spline.

All the researching and pics i've seen the smoothies where 35 spline. And i always heard it was about 100# rule of thumb give or take depending on application/version from 60 to 70 to 14. The real bad@ss 70 is the rumoured super70. HD internals with a smoothie bottom. But i'm sure everyone seen pics of that one when they read through the 70 thread.

Rear axle's

Well it seems I have my own pics now of the rumoured Super 70 and it's mine for the taking if i thnk I can find all the stuff I need for it.

Check out pages 56 - 58, seemed they were on the E450's only Hmmm. May have to alter being in the E450 only ha ha.
Dead Link Removed

Just adding as i find out more info.

Like to see what U-joint is on the Super 70 compared to the other 70?

Last edited:

Interesting. It seems to be quite a find!

id go with the standard one, im sure parts are easier to find and cheaper.

id go with the standard one, im sure parts are easier to find and cheaper.

May be, but I'm going to do a lot of researching on the Super. I think it would be a shame not to. I'll post up after making a few phone calls tomorrow.
And the fact that the standard 70U is right next to it will make things easier.
But yes, i don't need a hard time finding bearings and such and then to find that their priced a lot higher, if in fact you can find them.
But i have a long list of Dana spicer suppliers and should be able to find out real easy about after market and standard stuff for it.

Anybody finds out likewise please post ASAP.
I even have a phone number of a guy that i got from Moser engineering who said he is the Guru of 60s and 70s. I've spoken to him before about 70s and he rattles off info so fast i can't keep up. Really need to call him also. Plus he builds these kind of rears all the time and knows where to get the parts. If he is recommended by Moser you know he's got to be good. In fact when I talked to him for over an hour, it was him and Moser who started working in their basement and that was the beginning of Moser Engineering.

Of the few that I found info on, seems the Super has the massive 1410 joint also. Now that's cool, if I do use this one I'll change the Atlas to a 1410 rear joint also.

Thought I'd add this tid bit of info, I know it's Dodge but still may be same for Ford as far as goodies.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7560301&postcount=81

Last edited:

id go with the standard one, I'm sure parts are easier to find and cheaper.

Well after posting on a hard core off road site and then contacting the leading suppliers of Diff parts, your right jon.

But Parts Mike said give him the BOM # and he can get what ever I need Hmm. I love working with this guy, he helped me out so much in the front 4 link. So shortly I'll be making a choice.

I just can't get over how not one of the leading suppliers have even heard of a D70 1SU. Love to have something a little different on this build.

As far as the Mr Carlson who helped Moser get started, his wife said to call him sat and he can give me answers. He's out of the county now.

you have the DANA BOM, just compare part numbers between the two axles. I was just glancing, but a lot of the part numbers looked exactly the same.

you have the DANA BOM, just compare part numbers between the two axles. I was just glancing, but a lot of the part numbers looked exactly the same.

Ok, here are the vital statistics

B0M of the casting D SU
605300 1 = 70/267 1987-88 E350 DRW 70 U

BOM of the casting D 1SU
605253 1 = 70/267 1985-86 E350 Chassis 70 U
The number one following the 6 digits means Standard (Open I assume) 3:54
So even though the casting says D 1SU it is still a 70 U series.
Plus this one has both hubs were the other is missing a hub.
Both have 3:54 gears as per tag ID

May need a different carrier for some deeper gears.

So the one that I thought was a Super is in fact the U series which have a good following of parts including after market ones.
I think the numeral 1 in front of the SU was just an indication of an Open rear that they used from 85 to 86.
Plus all Super models came with 4:10 or 4:56 only from what I get from Dana Spicer PDF
Page 57
Dead Link Removed

Posted this chart as an extra bit of info for anyone that may find it useful.

AXLE MODELS
NEW MODEL NUMBER... OLD MODEL NUMBER
174.......................... 28
181.......................... 30
186.......................... Super 30
194.......................... 35
198.......................... Super 35
200.......................... 36
216.......................... 44
226.......................... Super 44
229.......................... 50
248.......................... 60
267.......................... 70
286.......................... 80

As in 70/267 That was listed in the BOM, Personally I like the Old numbers. But I understand their reasoning. It has to do
with the strength of the axle. The higher the number the stronger the axle. So the 70 ranks right up there. May have to change 267 to
285.99...................... after beefing it up even more ha ha.

Just added: The U series is the one they call the smoothie (dumb name) cause the cast housing is flush with the bottom of the diff. Not as prone to hang on rocks.

Last edited:

Turnsignalmod.jpg

I've had to replace the turn signal switch a couple of times, not going to happen anymore. Going to rewire and place a left hand turn signal switch on left side of dash and then a RHTS on right hand side.
I may eventually get rid of the whole multi-switch altogether and have separate horn switch which i never liked the stock location anyway.
In the pic the turn sig. lever is hanging down in front of gas peddle.
Then the only thing left on the multi switch will be the High beam switch...for now.
The trick in wiring this is the flasher switch. May even run separate turn signal lamps in the back.

Also this week will be a trip to tell Joe which one of the D70s I want.

beep

I don't believe I've ever blown the horn in a B2. When I might have used one both my hands have always been actively employed in steering! I kinda want to eventually get some use out of my horn....think I'll wire up an old dimmer style, but momentary, left foot switch for the honker. Ah-oogah!!

The abrupt change of direction signal, blinder switch & the "I just pulled over to let my dog pee, so don't run over us" flasher ...also the steering wheel release ; are all knee bangers for me... the multi switch IS a cheap piece of Euro junk... glad to see your changing some of Ford's better ideas Rick

are all knee bangers for me...

That's the number one reason it's broken so many times. I don't know how many times my knee has blown the horn getting in. Then the problem is compounded with all the bulky clothing and large boots during the hunting season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't believe I've ever blown the horn in a B2. When I might have used one both my hands have always been actively employed in steering! I kinda want to eventually get some use out of my horn....think I'll wire up an old dimmer style, but momentary, left foot switch for the honker. Ah-oogah!!

I may have to steal that idea. Your so right about the horn location.
In a situation where you have to blow the horn quick, the stock location is about useless as **** on a bull. Then add the fact that you might just have your blinker on and now the horn location has changed :confused:
May just wind up having the high beam switch there.

I've already installed two lighted rocker switches on the dash.
Now stay with me cause here's where it gets complicated.
The L turn signal switch is on the left side of the steering wheel.
And if your thinking I put the R turn sig. switch on the right hand side...Your right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a little vid of the Multi Piece of Crap Switch that i never liked from day one. Once it breaks it hangs like a wet noodle.
So far I've got the two new turn sig. switches mounted. Really did not have to have lighted switches since I've had two turn sig. lights that blink with turn sig. mounted in the dash for a few years.
If you notice when I pull the lever forward you can see the High beam indicator light come on that's mounted high on dash.
Need to get the rear lights to blink, different horn switch and modified high beam switch that still uses the existing turn sig. switch.

It will be so nice not to bang into that thing with knee again when getting in and out. Plus not paying gobs of money for a new switch.
The farmers who own the farms I hunt on will appreciate it also. No more horn blowing at 5:00 am.

Last edited:

Back