RockRangerII the build up. | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RockRangerII the build up.

After loosing my last ranger a bit over a year ago I finally got onther one to replace it. The truck I am starting with is a 1993 ranger 4X4 xl standard cab short bed. It is pretty much a bare bones truck. No AC no cruise and a manualt t case. It also has a 4.0 and a 5 speed with 3.73 and an open rear diff. When I purchased the truck it came with a 2.5" rancho lift 31" bfg AT tires on aluminum rims.

I have had the truck around 3 months now and have put about 3000 miles on it sofar. Over that time I have noticed a few things about it. When they installed the lift instead of installing longer brake lines they installed limit straps that limit down travel to about 1" from ride height and also removed the sway bar. They also didnt lift the rear at all and it has a serous case of butt dragging.

Attachments

• ranger.jpg
    ranger.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 3,910

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I may have to hit you up on some of that fuel line also. Seeing how my stock filler neck is too short to reach the factory gas door area after I put in the 2" BL.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

If you found a piece of say 2" tubing I bet you could cut your filler hose and lengthen it a bit and make it work. Napa also has filler hoses from around 1.5" to 3.5". It comes in 3 ft long pieces but doesnt have teh bends in it like a ranger one does. I think I am going to add a tj filler piece to teh side of the bed in the back and get a new hose from napa to make it work. Especally cause my stock one is starting to crack and I dont think i need any bends in it.

I've thought of that too, however, the filler hose crosses the frame right where my junkyard roll bar mount is. My other thought was to just route the filler hose straight up into the bed between the roll bar and my tool chest.

Got a chance to work on the truck some more today. I got the rest of the gas tank skid plate mount welded and painted. To finish it I just need to make some straps to hold the tank to it and then drill 4 holes in teh bottom as drians for any water that gets in there. I ran out of paint so I could paint the cross member or give the gas tank a coat of paint. I also got the filler neck kind of figured out. If you cut the last 5" or so off of the ranger filler neck it will fit on teh BII tank. It is kind of a PIA to get on but between my brother and I we were able to wresele it on within a few minutes. The part taht I still need to figure out is how to extend the filler hose line about 6" more so I can cut a hole in the side of the bed and install a jeep TJ gas deal like trckmagic did on what of his explorers. Untill then the filler is behind the bed and I will have to pull it forwward a fill it through the wheel well. Hopefully next weekend I will get more time to work on it and I should get it wrapperd up. Now onto the pics

First is the skidplate in my paint booth. It sure is a PIA to use spray paint when it is windy out.

Second shows how much of the ranger filler neck I cut off to make it fit the BII tank.

Third shows the ranger filler hose on the bronco II tank.

Fourth shows the area I need to extend. I somehow need to make this about 6" longer.

Attachments

• gas 12.jpg
    gas 12.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 842
  • gas 13.jpg
    gas 13.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 834
  • gas14.jpg
    gas14.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 830
  • gas 15.jpg
    gas 15.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 836

truck looks real good. its deffinetly giving me enough motivation to want to start my sas now. I also want to go with leaf springs in the front. great job man!

Cool Matt :thumbsup:

I'm a little lost though...you said you cut off 5" the filler neck to fit the BII tank but you need to extend it another 6" :confused: Can you 'splain me please :p

Have you had a chance to play with the bender yet? Spray it down with WD-40 so it doesn't rust please :D

The end of the filler hose I cut off was like 3.25" in diameter. The inlet on the BII tank is 2.5" If you cut the last 6" or so off the ranger filler hose right where it is oval then squeeze it with a c clamp to round it out it is 2.5 " in diameter and goes on the BII tank. Now I just need to make up that difference in length and I can get it to fill out the side of the truck. Hopefully that make sence.

Yes it does, I forgot about the ranger filler hose necks down. I should've known better, i'm on my second filler hose and my current one is showing signs of cracking :rolleyes:

Mine was cracked where I cut it off. We also replaced the one on my brothers ranger as well.

Thats really a bad design by Ford...they should've made those things accordian style so it can flex more without cracking. I think Toyata trucks filler necks are that way.

It has 2 bends in it. Then down the middle there is also a second tube inside that is bent as well. Kind of a one off dealer only item. It sucks cause teh dealer is proud of them. Something like $200 plus for a filler hose.

RockRanger said:
It has 2 bends in it. Then down the middle there is also a second tube inside that is bent as well. Kind of a one off dealer only item. It sucks cause teh dealer is proud of them. Something like $200 plus for a filler hose.

When mine cracked the stealership quoted me $250 for a reg cab long box and $225 for an extended cab short box filler neck. :eek: I ended up getting a good one from the junk yard for $35. :D

RockRanger said:
Which filler hose do you want? Give me the details (year, model, etc.) and I will call my buddy to see if I can get you a better deal. His shop is a part of North County Ford.

I need to go to go to Napa and get a piece of filler hose tube and I will be good to go. They sell universal ones in one size which will work for what I need. They are listed in there belts and hoses booklets. Unfortunently I dont have the part number for them cause the counter guy wouldn't let me take that book home. I already have one of there manuals here that they gave me.

Got most of the gas tank resolved toady. Tommorow I need to go get some gas to dump in it and see if I have any leaks so I can bolt the bed down get the exhaust rerouted and start on sliders. Hopefully that will all go quickly tommmorow. Anyway here are some pictures.

First one shows all of the lines extended and hooked up. The red wiring cover gives me 3 extra HP so I went with it instead of black.

The second shows where my exhaust is coming out currently :rolleyes: Hopefully tommorow I can get it re routed and out of the way. I think I have it figured out. I am going to just get it hooked up and routed enough for moab cause in reality the whole exhaust system needs to be redone and the muffler tucked up higher.

Attachments

• pictures 005a.jpg
    pictures 005a.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 739
  • pictures 004a.jpg
    pictures 004a.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 748

Then my brother and I tossed the bed on just to check all the clearnces and make sure it was good to go. You can see how I have the filler neck right now whick might make it a challange to fill it. Still not sure how I am going to resolve it. Also snapped a rear shot and a side shot to see how far it hangs down. Hopefully I wont hit it to much and it become a problem. I willfind out after a few wheeling trips how bad it will be.

And Yes I Do still need to buy new tail lights and remount the licence plate.

Attachments

• pictures 001a.jpg
    pictures 001a.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 750
  • pictures 002a.jpg
    pictures 002a.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,042
  • pictures 003a.jpg
    pictures 003a.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 723

Jefe said:
Looking good :thumbsup:

I second that and I see the old POS of a gas tank in the background. Nice to have all that room under your truck now huh :cool:

No more driveshaft hitting the skid plate will be the best part. Also moveing a few hundred pounds to the back will hopefully make the steep down hills allite more stable.

Hopefully I can get the exhaust resolved somwhat quickly tommorow. On a short bed ranger this is about as high as you can stuff a bronco II tank. The support under the bed that goes across the bed to two of the bolt holes has been completly cut out. I cut out about 1.5" of it to make it fit. Hopefully the guy on pirates will get the doublers out soon so I can order one and install it and do a test run before moab.

Back