Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Ronin8002's 4th Gen custom coilover conversion

Discussion in 'Offroad Projects' started by Ronin8002, December 20, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Ronin8002

Ronin8002 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Virginia
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2008 XLT Ironman
      Very good points. Now that I have a lot more fabrication experience and more tools I'd feel like I could tackle an LCA drop bracket set and put a ball joint spacer up top. Main reason to do so besides those you mentioned would be so I could run 35s. It would be super cool but not sure I want to dump the time and money into an effort that would take a while to get just right. An SAS would probably take a bit more but be more capable in the long run. Lately I've been busy enough with work and school and other projects that I've kept putting off doing the rear ones, but would at least want to get those done and roll with them for a while before stepping up to something bigger, if I decide to.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 4WDriver

4WDriver New Member

City, State:
      Las Cruces, NM
      '02 Explorer XLT
      woohoo!

35's on a 3rd gen! Nice! If I decide to mess with my suspension, LCA drop will definitely be the way I go. Also, rather than SAS the rear, I'd do another LCA drop and rearrange the frame to either drop below where the CV axleshafts would go, or stiffen the remaining portion above them. Add Eaton E-lockers front and rear, wouldn't matter if I lift tires off the ground! :D also, either get air shocks similar to an earlier caddy, or Firestone ride-rite to go between top of strut and frame.

4. Lion88

Lion88 New Member

City, State:
      Phoenix, Arizona
      Focus ST