roof rack OR rear swingout tire carrier...?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

roof rack OR rear swingout tire carrier...??

KJL

Reaction score
City, State
TURLOCK, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 4.0 4x4. 00 4.0 2x4
Ok so im on the next project for my 1992 4-door. (For referance I plan on running 31s or at most 33" tires)
I have both ideas mocked up in either autocad (thanks jefe!) Or google sketchup
And I got to thinking about center of gravity and a leaking roof so I ditched the roof rack idea and started to mock up a swingout tire carrier for my smittybilt dual tube rear bumper.. once I got the general idea down and started looking at how high the tire will sit on its rack I am now at a cross. Call me **** but I like to be able to see out the back window.

What do you guys prefer?

The roof rack is full length so I can mount lights and what not and obviously the tire would go somewheres over the rear axle (in the rack of course) it would hold a hi-lift, shovel and whatever gear I want.

The tire carrier would hold the tire, a hi-lift and maybe a gerry can.. but with a 31/33" tire it takes up most of the rear glass..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A 31" should fit in the factory spare location.

The roof rack is good, but not for a tire. It raises the center of gravity. Plus hauling a tire up and down from there...... I'd prefer not to.

I like the swing out myself. I need to get one for my 33" spare.

Modifying a Smittybuilt? I don't know. I have doubts.

My 2.5 gal viair tank is in the stock tire location..

You dont think it will hold? It seems to be pretty stout.

i was just thinking about not having to weld up a new bumper. drill a hole, weld up a tire carrier, install a comp4x4 hinge done (sort of lol)

it was just less time, money and fab' work...

It all comes down to what kind of wheelin' you do and where as well as do you park in any parking garages or go thru fast food drive thru's?

I had a Yakima MegaWarrior on top of my lifted '03 Sport Trac with shovel, offraod lights, etc... It looked cool but killed my mileage and I couldn't fit it any garages or most fast food drive thru's.

picture.php

So I fabricated my own swingout tire carrier (the 1st and only in the world on a 1st Gen ST).

picture.php

Then I integrated a steel rear bumper on to the tire carrier, still need to fab up the brackets for offroad lights. I'm mounting my hi lift jack, shovel, etc... in the bed (out of the weather and out of thievin' *******s hands) LOL.

IMG_1383.jpg

I say build a swingout tire carrier onto the Smittybuilt bumper, have any pictures of your truck now to give ideas of how to mount the carrier. Not sure if you already found a swingout tire carrier spinlde, latches, etc... but this is the kit I bought and used on mine. I welded a secondary bracket onto the latch and have a hitch pin to secure it shut.

http://www.emsoffroad.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=78&products_id=181&zenid=7e65277f506cfbcb3c5d373c0eee756f

I'd say swingout carrier. Getting a tired down off the top is a complete PITA. Plus like rebel said if it's on your roof it'll take out at least 2mpg if not more.

thats also was i was thinking... rebel i saw yours and thats how i got the idea to use was i had...

i wouldnt mind getting a tire off a roof rack... ive gotten one flat in over ten years... and when i mean ten years i mean ive only gotten one flat since ive been driving lol guess thats luck.

most of the stuff i drive in are logging/hunting roads on the western slope of the sierras. nothing too hard at all... ive seen mitsu eclipses on those roads...

ok so two questions... is the tire obstructing the rear glass that much of a PITA?

also do you guys think the SB dual tube bumper will hold up to the sway-away?

if yall say no and that i should build one myself im goin to do this...

http://youtu.be/uem6_tw8pKQ

I asked about where and what kind of terrain you wheel on because if you have a roof rack with everything up there then you'll need to worry about breaking offroad lights, getting caught on low trees, branches, etc... I wheel on mostly old logging trails and thru the forest, woods where it gets really thick and I actually need protection wires for my windshield like Gman has on his Ex.

I'll have to look up and see a picture of the SB tube bumper you have to see if it's strong enough to built off of and how to design a carrier onto it.

I researched for roughly two years before I built mine, I was actually gonna build that carrier that you linked the video to but changed my mind after thinking about all of the scenario's I would encounter while opening/ lifting it as well as dealing with the different weather here in the northeast, that's why I decided on my simple classic design. You can make it only go halfway across the back if you don't want the carrier to stick out too far when opened.

I like these carriers and accessories (pictures from web)...

jnvmv_zpsdfd566c7.jpg

ROE-PAXBRACKET-2_zps77d2a2a3.jpg

This is the original tire carrier for my Trac before I built the steel bumper onto it.

IMG_5289_zps4a94b9fa.jpg

yeah i thought about making only a half swingout.. then two halves like jefe (sp?) did but then decided on just the classic design for the cost of a second barrel hinge and all the other hardware.

its just a regular ol smittybilt dual tube bumper for the Xs

two 3" tubes with some plate (iirc 3/16 or 1/4) for mounting... very basic

if i end up building a new bumper then im going with the Lambo style no doubt... i have done some research and guys have suggested putting a 1/2" or so hitch pin in place to hold the "swingup".. up lol

I guess mine goes on the roof more often than most since it lives in my bed and goes up on the roof when I need the extra room. I have no real experience with it but I've heard a lot of jeep guys shy away from SB because of lower quality. Not sure if its the steel or the coating that is the complaint just putting that our there. I'll ask around tomorrow to some of my friends to see how they feel about SB bumpers.

That would be cool thanks. From what I read the welds and coating are ****. Most say the coating sucks(a little sharpie or rattle can will fix that) a few say they have seen a weld crack. And some say theirs are fine for many years.

Patrick, I had mine in the bed after I removed and sold the roof basket but that was short lived with a baby (hauling stroller, etc...) no room for both since the tire took up most of the bed. That's what kicked me in the ass to finally build mine.

KJL, even if you just need to build up and reinforce the bracketry for the tire carrier onto the SB bumper that would be hard since you're already builing onto it. I always build things way to strong, or atleast everyone tells me that.

If I go with a new bumper then ill either weld it up myself or have a buddy of mine finish weld it and ill just tack it together
So the roof rack is pretty much out lol

I would just build the tire carrier brackets from the frame out and integrate them into the bumper so that the weight of the carrier, tire, etc... isn't putting any strain on the SB bumper and (possibly booger welds) it may have, just my thought.

I would just build the tire carrier brackets from the frame out and integrate them into the bumper so that the weight of the carrier, tire, etc... isn't putting any strain on the SB bumper and (possibly booger welds) it may have, just my thought.

yeah i was thinking bout that. i would have to, it only has plate on one side (of each frame rail) holding the bumper on. i dont have a problem throwing some gussets on it but will that be enough? i dont know if i wanna find out by looking at everyone trying to dodge my tire and gas can in the middle of the freeway...

what did you do to your factory bumper to strengthen it up?

Patrick, I had mine in the bed after I removed and sold the roof basket but that was short lived with a baby (hauling stroller, etc...) no room for both since the tire took up most of the bed. That's what kicked me in the ass to finally build mine.

KJL, even if you just need to build up and reinforce the bracketry for the tire carrier onto the SB bumper that would be hard since you're already builing onto it. I always build things way to strong, or atleast everyone tells me that.

One of these days that'll change for me too. I love the look of the swing out carriers. Right now all my tools (I have a ton) and a cooler + gear can fit in the bed without too much hassle. It's when I have 4 ppl on a 3 day wheeling trip it goes on top. I wanted to get my SAS done first before I blew out ifs components. Plus I like my tire out of the SC sun and out of sight of idiot college kids.

No such thing as too strong. It would be catastrophic if you were using a hi-lift and your mounts broke.

yeah i was thinking bout that. i would have to, it only has plate on one side (of each frame rail) holding the bumper on. i dont have a problem throwing some gussets on it but will that be enough? i dont know if i wanna find out by looking at everyone trying to dodge my tire and gas can in the middle of the freeway...

Haha that would be a horrible test. I think a few 1/4" gussets would work. I mean our stock bumpers with only the 2 plates have a 300 or 350lbs tongue weight rating and that's a safe working rating so it's truly higher. But then you have to factor in bouncing and the extra leverage creating a moment on the brackets. Max weight of a 33 and a steelie is like 100 or so lbs plus the weight of a 5 gallon can you'd be looking at no more than 175 lbs of weight plus the steel. That's what makes me think gussets would work but I think full custom would be better and talk to guys like Jerry (Rebel) who have done custom bumpers and I'm sure you'd want to integrate a hitch receiver so you'd have to think of that too when you're designing.

In the picture above of my carrier you can see I made brackets to mount the spindle and latch to out of 3/8" thick 4x6" angled steel welded to the 3" bodylift bumper brakets which are also 3/8" thick or close to it. You'll definetly need to build it up really strong since you plan on mounting other stuff to it.

If need be I'd say get a factory bumper from a boneyard and do a Jefe build just for piece of mind if you don't feel confident the SB bumper will be strong enough. You could sell the SB bumper and fund the build. jsut a though.

Gotta cut it short guys. I have a 600 mile run tomorrow and 6a.m. comes early. I'll check in tomorrow thru the day on my phone.

you make a good point.. i think its back to the drawling board... mostly cause i watched that lambo tire carrier video again and i wanna do that lol

In the picture above of my carrier you can see I made brackets to mount the spindle and latch to out of 3/8" thick 4x6" angled steel welded to the 3" bodylift bumper brakets which are also 3/8" thick or close to it. You'll definetly need to build it up really strong since you plan on mounting other stuff to it.

If need be I'd say get a factory bumper from a boneyard and do a Jefe build just for piece of mind if you don't feel confident the SB bumper will be strong enough. You could sell the SB bumper and fund the build. jsut a though.

Gotta cut it short guys. I have a 600 mile run tomorrow and 6a.m. comes early. I'll check in tomorrow thru the day on my phone.

damn good luck with that!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I drive Truck for a living, not actual running. LOL. Can you post pictures of your designs you came up with do far and we can help to try and solve the weak points of the SB bumper with the tire carrier built onto it.

Back