Roof Rack / Rail Removal | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rack / Rail Removal

I ended up doing something similar. A couple rubber washers and (currently) spraypainted black bolt heads and metal washers (powdercoating would obviously be ideal). All that would be needed each time switching the rails is new rubber washers (they were more than $0.25 at Lowes, tho... all in all 36 washers cost me about $15. I'll probably look for a good bulk price now tho).

There's multiple spots where the paint is chipped / peeling off the tape. [MENTION=249466]bigryanh[/MENTION], did you end up using some touch up paint, and if so how'd it work out? ps. keep us updated on the fabrication of the bracket to hold down the front rail trim! thats the only other thing missing from this mod!

This is the front most hole with the rubber washers. Only in this one did I use an oversized lower washer (in an attempt to cover / hold down some of the paint peeling off). Hopefully this will soon all be covered with some touch up paint and the rail trim.
norails_frontwithwasher.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is how mine look without the rack. I filled the holes with a silicone made for marine applications and bonded to metal. I also found a trim piece to fill the gutter.
Will post better pictures as soon as we get some nice weather again ;)

I am purchasing a used 2013 (Explorer) Police Interceptor Utility. Being an actual Police Interceptor Utility model, it doesn't come with roof racks. However, the first owner ordered this vehicle from Ford with the optional roof rack option. Now that it's mine, I want to remove the roof racks. Is the actual Police Interceptor Utility model roof rack option the exact same as the civilian Explorer roof rack or is there a different design/parts?

I am purchasing a used 2013 (Explorer) Police Interceptor Utility. Being an actual Police Interceptor Utility model, it doesn't come with roof racks. However, the first owner ordered this vehicle from Ford with the optional roof rack option. Now that it's mine, I want to remove the roof racks. Is the actual Police Interceptor Utility model roof rack option the exact same as the civilian Explorer roof rack or is there a different design/parts?

Technically speaking, a true Interceptor would not have come with roof racks. But that is not to say that it never could. A gutter seam would remain and be more apparent, but some Interceptors have used this part to minimize the appearance of the seam and mitigate the odd appearance of no roof rack:

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/C...m=Ford&mo=Explorer&initSearch=1&partNo=51728#

The first owner you mentioned likely installed the roof rack before you bought it and it can be removed. The roof rack should be the "same" in the sense that it can be installed on either a civilian EX or Police Interceptor because both vehicles have the bolt holes and same roof measurements.

Shad0w, thanks for your reply. I according to the manufacture window sticker. The roof rack was an Optional Equipment that was picked up when the vehicle was ordered brand new. On the window sticker it's listed as "ROOFRACK W/ BLACK SIDE RAILS" with an MSRP of $100.00.

Thank you for the parts link you provided. However, on the Ford Parts website the part you mention is listed as part number "<51728". But when I try to run that part number on other sites selling Ford parts, it doesn't come up. Is that just a partial number? How do I determine what the full part number is?

Thanks!

Shad0w, thanks for your reply. I according to the manufacture window sticker. The roof rack was an Optional Equipment that was picked up when the vehicle was ordered brand new. On the window sticker it's listed as "ROOFRACK W/ BLACK SIDE RAILS" with an MSRP of $100.00.

Thank you for the parts link you provided. However, on the Ford Parts website the part you mention is listed as part number "<51728". But when I try to run that part number on other sites selling Ford parts, it doesn't come up. Is that just a partial number? How do I determine what the full part number is?

Thanks!

No problem. The part number, as far as I understand, is the complete number. Other sites might not show it probably because they don't sell that specific part.
They likely sell more widely used parts and items that are regular sellers such as mud flaps, rack rails, etc. But for something small and minor like the roof drip moulding, window trim, etc, you might have to go directly through Ford somehow. If you want to confirm, I would contact a dealer and give them the part number 51728 (I'm not sure if "<" is a part of the number) and the name of the part.

Searching the description, "RH Less Roof Rack, Police Version", I found this website: http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/partl...ford-explorer-23700631-23701818-23701849.html

The full part numbers for the Police Interceptor Utility roof mouldings are 5Z-7851728-AA (RH) and 5Z-7851729-AA (LH). They are ~$43/each.

And, although a 'true' stripped Police Interceptor Utility comes as a slicktop, a 'true' P.I. Utility can be optioned from the order sheet with "Roof Rack Side Rails – Black, Option Code 68Z":

5FordUtilityOrderSheetRoofRack_Page_06_zpsec5bd902.jpg

Photos of factory 2014 Police Interceptor Utility roof mouldings (factory original 'slicktop'):

2014PIUtilityslicktopdetail1_zps5de01cd5-1.jpg

2014PIUtilityslicktopdetail2_zps9fc86a2a.jpg

Detail, over driver's head:

2014PIUtilityslicktopdetail3_zps23a0eb1c.jpg

From Rear Window, left side

2014PIUtilityslicktopdetail4_zpsc601ee4b-1.jpg

Great find gitme! Im sure everyone lookin for the slick top look will get this.

Here's a picture of the window sticker from my 2013 Police Interceptor Utility that I purchased recently. As you see, the original buyer did in fact order the roof racks as an option.

imagejpg1_zps72a1e0af.jpg

That link didn't work... here's the link again.

imagejpg1_zps72a1e0af.jpg

GITME: Great info! I found the exploded view of the parts on Ford's Parts Website.

imagejpg1_zps60e28469.jpg

In particular, I'm curious about the "<50002" part listed in the view above that is circled red. The listing of "<50002" parts to the right of the exploded view shows four (4) options for that part number. I'm assuming that I would need the "Roof Rack Retainer Less Roof Rack; RH" and "Roof Rack Retainer Less Roof Rack; LH". The big question is.... what are those two full/complete part numbers? I don't want to accidentally order the "... With Roof Racks ..." parts instead.

Also, if anyone can identify what the full part number is for the "HS2" item circled in blue.

Thanks everyone for the great info so far!

Searching the description, "RH Less Roof Rack, Police Version", I found this website: http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/partl...ford-explorer-23700631-23701818-23701849.html

The full part numbers for the Police Interceptor Utility roof mouldings are 5Z-7851728-AA (RH) and 5Z-7851729-AA (LH). They are ~$43/each.

And, although a 'true' stripped Police Interceptor Utility comes as a slicktop, a 'true' P.I. Utility can be optioned from the order sheet with "Roof Rack Side Rails – Black, Option Code 68Z":

5FordUtilityOrderSheetRoofRack_Page_06_zpsec5bd902.jpg

Photos of factory 2014 Police Interceptor Utility roof mouldings (factory original 'slicktop'):

2014PIUtilityslicktopdetail1_zps5de01cd5-1.jpg

2014PIUtilityslicktopdetail2_zps9fc86a2a.jpg

Detail, over driver's head:

2014PIUtilityslicktopdetail3_zps23a0eb1c.jpg

From Rear Window, left side

2014PIUtilityslicktopdetail4_zpsc601ee4b-1.jpg

GITME: Also was wondering if you know what the black molding part number is as shown in your picture "From Rear Window, left side"... and if you (or anyone) could also provide the part number for the right side as well.

Thanks everyone!

GITME: Great info! I found the exploded view of the parts on Ford's Parts Website.

imagejpg1_zps60e28469.jpg

In particular, I'm curious about the "<50002" part listed in the view above that is circled red. The listing of "<50002" parts to the right of the exploded view shows four (4) options for that part number. I'm assuming that I would need the "Roof Rack Retainer Less Roof Rack; RH" and "Roof Rack Retainer Less Roof Rack; LH". The big question is.... what are those two full/complete part numbers? I don't want to accidentally order the "... With Roof Racks ..." parts instead.

See lines 9 & 10 on this webpage:
http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/partlist/roof-rack-systems~2013-ford-explorer-23700631-23701818-23701819.html

Also, if anyone can identify what the full part number is for the "HS2" item circled in blue
You're on your own for the HS2 hex head bolt. I think it's a M10x30mm.

GITME: Also was wondering if you know what the black molding part number is as shown in your picture "From Rear Window, left side"... and if you (or anyone) could also provide the part number for the right side as well.

"RH Less Roof Rack, Police Version", I found this website: http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/partli...-23701849.html

The full part numbers for the Police Interceptor Utility roof mouldings, that run from the front seat headrest area to the rear window, are 5Z-7851728-AA (RH) and 5Z-7851729-AA (LH). They are ~$43/each.

I can't find anything for the two short front moulding pieces (the 50002 part numbers) (Retainer - Roof Trim, RH) 5Z-7850002-AA, and (Retainer - Roof Trim, LH) 5Z-7850002-AB. I don't have an EX with a roof rack to compare to the photos.

Here's where I'm at with the understanding of all the parts needed to make a roof rack Explorer (or roof racked Police Interceptor Utility) into a slick top...

Part: DB5Z-7851728-AA (Roof Drip Moulding Police Version, Less Roof Rack; RH, Carbon Black) - MSRP $60.53

Part: DB5Z-7851729-AA (Roof Drip Moulding Police Version, Less Roof Rack; LH, Carbon Black) - MSRP $62.05

Need to verify the following:
www.fordparts.com Part: "<50002" Roof Rack Retainer have six (6) variables...
1. "Roof Rack- Black, Roof Rack - Silver Painted Rails; RH"
2. "With Roof Racks; RH"
3. "Roof Rack - Black, Roof Rack - Silver Painted Rails; LH"
4. "With Roof Racks; LH"
5. "Less Roof Rack; RH"
6. "Less Roof Rack; LH"
In particular need the exact and complete part numbers for line #5 and #6 .

Need the exact and complete part number for the following:
www.fordparts.com Part: "HS2" (Screw M6 x 33) - MSRP $4.10

Reference to gitme's pictures posted on 07/18/2014 in this thread of his slick top Police Interceptor Utility, in particular the picture captioned "From Rear Window, left side"... showing the rear moulding. We need to identify this part number for both sides and screws (or whatever) is used to attach this to the vehicle.

Once we have all this info... everyone will be set to do their slick tops!

Here's where I'm at with the understanding of all the parts needed to make a roof rack Explorer (or roof racked Police Interceptor Utility) into a slick top...

Part: DB5Z-7851728-AA (Roof Drip Moulding Police Version, Less Roof Rack; RH, Carbon Black) - MSRP $60.53

Part: DB5Z-7851729-AA (Roof Drip Moulding Police Version, Less Roof Rack; LH, Carbon Black) - MSRP $62.05

Need to verify the following:
www.fordparts.com Part: "<50002" Roof Rack Retainer have six (6) variables...
1. "Roof Rack- Black, Roof Rack - Silver Painted Rails; RH"
2. "With Roof Racks; RH"
3. "Roof Rack - Black, Roof Rack - Silver Painted Rails; LH"
4. "With Roof Racks; LH"
5. "Less Roof Rack; RH"
6. "Less Roof Rack; LH"
In particular need the exact and complete part numbers for line #5 and #6 .

www.fordparts.com Part: "HS2" (Screw M6 x 33) - MSRP $4.10

Reference to gitme's pictures posted on 07/18/2014 in this thread of his slick top Police Interceptor Utility, in particular the picture captioned "From Rear Window, left side"... showing the rear moulding. We need to identify this part number for both sides and screws (or whatever) is used to attach this to the vehicle.

Once we have all this info... everyone will be set to do their slick tops!

Ntoda...I think all you need is the full part number for the "Less roof rack, RH & LH". Isn't DB5Z-7851728-AA and DB5Z-7851729-AA the parts you're asking about from gitme's photos? Those two drip moldings, the two front moldings for a total of four moldings and you're set. Go to a local fastner store and tell them what size you think you need for the HS2 bolts, try them out and if they don't work just adjust from there. The bolts shouldnt be difficult.

I agree, those four parts are all you need. Though I never bothered to look at my work truck closely, I didn't realize there appear to be no bolt indications on the two rear mouldings. Now I'm beginning to wonder if they are fastened with clips, double-sided tape, or magnets.

I just picked up a '15 magnetic Explorer sport and the first thing I did was to remove the roof rack. If anyone is looking for some trim to fill in the channels I found some at Pep Boys that fits pretty good.

This is how I did it:

1) Remove roof rack

2) Using 6MM x 15-20mm long stainless steel set screws (need 12) plug bolt holes in roof. Install set screws a couple turns below flush.

3) Using the silicone sealer of your choice, I used Permatex black silicone adhesive sealant Part Number: 81158, fill in the area on top of each set screw so it is flush, make sure you cover the entire hole so you don't have any leaks. Allow 24 hours to dry.

4) Clean channels with Isopropyl alcohol and allow a few minutes to dry.

5) Install Cowles Products Style Guard Body Side Molding Part #S3311651 SKU: 8536701. I bought it at Pep Boys for $20, this part number is for the 16 foot long kit and I had less than a foot left over. They make a 14 foot kit also but it won't be long enough. I angled and beveled the front edge so it fit under the rubber seal on the windshield and also had to put a 1 inch or so long notch in to clear the tab this sticks up in the channel.

Pics aren't the best but you get the idea. The trim I used was matte black but they also make gloss black. Looks a lot better than an empty channel.

roof3.jpg

roof2.jpg

Looking from the back
back.jpg

Here is the notch
notch.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did exactly like bill_5r. I found a $40 self adhesive body moulding like you use on the side of doors and bumpers - 1" wide and sold by the ft at Brandsport.com.

To me it looks good, but I don't like how the summer heat has made it follow the imperfections of the roof/gutter. It's too soft. The OEM moulding gitme has on his looks perfect in my eyes :)

188A4CF7-EBF1-4E7D-90D0-67BB80C51375_zpsqu6xkvgm.jpg

90AE6879-50D5-44E9-9188-DA680764F57C_zpshkvle9gs.jpg

Back