Roof Rack / Rail Removal | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rack / Rail Removal

If you foresee having problems using the Velcro because of it's questionable adhesion to the body, you could try removing the adhesive portion off the back of the Velcro... say with Goo Gone, for example. Then use 3M auto tape to secure the Velcro to the body. Since most of us have had good experiences with 3M auto double-sided tape, maybe this could work, without relying on the Velcro's own adhesive.

I'm going to try it this way. 3M auto tape is a very good product, but is too expensive for 32ft (8 ft x 4 left/right/top/bottom), and will also be too thick (want to keep the soft rail as close to the body as possible- and the velcro already adds thickness). So instead, I'm trying to find the best glue to permanently adhere one side of the velcro to the body (or rather to the rubber-like substance that's between the original rails and the body paint). The other side of the velcro will be permanently glued to the soft rail.

The only thing then is ensuring the 2 sides of the velcro don't come apart under driving conditions. Not sure how this can be accomplished- still playing with the idea of drilling 2 bolts through the rail (one in front and one in back). Also, I'd like to tie the original front rail piece in with the soft rail somehow if possible.

I'll be taking on the this project in a couple days, so right now all I need is to figure out what glue would be best. I has to be very strong, work well with velcro (vinyl?) to a rubber / metal surface, easily spreadable, and dry fairly quickly (within a few hours ideally). Anyone have any recommendations? Here's a few I've been looking at (I've never worked with any of these):

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update: e6000 glue didn't work out. outdoor heat made it melt into a gooey mess, and peeled fairly easily. I also tried liquid nails (the $2 tube of it), and it didn't work either (nor does it dry clear so that's no good).

Next I suppose I'll be trying Gorilla glue. Why is the simplest thing so difficult?!!

OK guys, since having removed my roof rack i was left with a problem up front. The molding that was normally held down by the actual rails was sticking up so i used gorilla tape - YUCK

So I did some investigating and found out that the police interceptor utilities have a special moulding....copied VIN number and gave FORD a call!

I am very happy with results! $94 total for both sides

Hi! so what did you do to cover up the center bolts and the back bolts? could you take photos of them too? Thanks

mhikeboy, I did nothing with the remaining bolts. Just tightened them down

I have ordered all 4 parts listed below to do my conversion to a slick top from my local ford dealer. Both drip moldings have came in and one retainer. I called ford to see where the 2nd retainer was and they just advised me that it's on back order due to a engeineering malfunction. He advised me that the part number currently listed below has now changed. He has ordered the retainer from the new part number. I should have it this Friday. In case anyone is wanting to do this project I will be sure to list the new part number when it arrives along with pics of my conversion.

UPDATED: 08/22/2014

Here's where I'm at with the understanding of all the parts needed to make a roof rack Explorer (or roof racked Police Interceptor Utility) into a slick top...

Part: DB5Z-7851728-AA (Roof Drip Moulding Police Version, Less Roof Rack; RH, Carbon Black) - MSRP $60.53 according to www.fordparts.com
Location: This is the black visible moulding/covering that runs in the roof gutter on the passenger side of the vehicle between the top of the windshield and runs toward the rear of the vehicle, stopping just short of the B Pillar.

Part: DB5Z-7851729-AA (Roof Drip Moulding Police Version, Less Roof Rack; LH, Carbon Black) - MSRP $62.05 according to www.fordparts.com
Location: This is the black visible moulding/covering that runs in the roof gutter on the driver side of the vehicle between the top of the windshield and runs toward the rear of the vehicle, stopping just short of the B Pillar.

Part: DB5Z-785002-A (Retainer - Roof Trim) - MSRP $5.93 according to www.fordparts.com
Location: This piece is used as the foundation for the "Roof Drip Moulding Police Version, Less Roof Rack". It's bolted to the A Pillar using one of the **713232-S439 (Screw M6 x 33). The "Rood Drip Moulding Police Version, Less Roof Rack" is then mounted to this piece.

Part: DB5Z-785002-B (Retainer - Roof Trim) - MSRP $26.25 according to www.fordparts.com
Location: This piece is used as the foundation for the "Roof Drip Moulding Police Version, Less Roof Rack". It's bolted to the A Pillar using one of the **713232-S439 (Screw M6 x 33). The "Rood Drip Moulding Police Version, Less Roof Rack" is then mounted to this piece.

*** NOTE: Regarding DB5Z-785002-A and DB5Z-785002-B, I forgot to identify which piece was for which side (driver vs. passenger) before I took it out of the bag and mounted it on my vehicle, therefore I wasn't specific regarding which side these two pieces belong on.

Part: EB5Z-7851728-BA (Moulding - Roof Drip Rail Fini) - MSRP $205.45 according to www.fordparts.com
Location: This piece is located in the roof gutter on both the driver and passenger side of the vehicle. This part fits between the rear end of parts DB5Z-7851728-AA and DB5Z-7851729-AA and runs the remaining length of the roof gutter toward the back of the vehicle ending near the D Pillar.

*** NOTE: Regarding EB5Z-7851728-BA, you will need two of these parts (one for the driver side and one for the passenger side). I have not physically ordered this part yet, therefore I don't exactly know what it looks like, however this is what the Ford dealer is telling me the part is and it matches the Police Interceptor Utility exploded parts diagram they have in their computer system.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SLICK TOP CONVERSIONS!

adding the roof rack

So , I am thinking of adding a roof rack to my slick top any one want to sell me their cast off parts?

Complete! Very easy! With shipping and tax for all 4 parts it came to $163.
The parts used:
DB5Z-7851729-AA
DB5Z-7851728-AA
FB5Z-7850002-A (REPLACES PART# DBZ5-7850002-B)
DB5Z-7850002-A

6mR976i.png

Picture is waaaaay too large. As per guidelines, jpg pictures should not exceed 800 X 800 pixels.

Peter

2016 roof rack removal

So i saw the new 16 interceptor today and it has the roof moldings. I really want to remove thereof rack and was wondering if anyone knows where to purchase them???

So i saw the new 16 interceptor today and it has the roof moldings. I really want to remove thereof rack and was wondering if anyone knows where to purchase them???
Your thread has been merged with this existing one found using the Forum's 'Search' program.
Do you still have the F-150. If not please update your profile or add the 2016 to your 'Signature' so members will know what you have. Please include 'trim' level (Base, XLT, etc). Thanks.

Peter

I took the plunge. Ordered the parts to delete the roof rails on my 2016 Ex.

The black, solid rails on the 2016 look kinda clunky, and I prefer the slick-top look anyway.

I'll post up pics and parts details when I begin the modification.

Where did you buy?

Complete! Very easy! With shipping and tax for all 4 parts it came to $163.
The parts used:
DB5Z-7851729-AA
DB5Z-7851728-AA
FB5Z-7850002-A (REPLACES PART# DBZ5-7850002-B)
DB5Z-7850002-A

6mR976i.png

Hi Medic531 - are you saying you bought ALL required parts for $163? If so, would you mind sharing the website? Thanks!

-Frank

Hi Medic531 - are you saying you bought ALL required parts for $163? If so, would you mind sharing the website? Thanks!

-Frank
Welcome to the Forum Frank.:wavey:

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Frank.:wavey:

Peter

Thanks, Peter!

I'm in the process of customizing my '16 Explorer —#color matching the cladding, throwing some 22" wheels on... the roof racks are off and I want to make sure it has a finished look, so this thread is super helpful. Sounds like it's a $300-400 deal.

-Frank

-Frank

Correct, $163 total. I purchased through fordparts.com and had it shipped to my local dealer.

Correct, $163 total. I purchased through fordparts.com and had it shipped to my local dealer.

Gotcha - I ended getting the whole sh'bang. Came close to $400 with all parts. I'll be posting pics soon. Thanks!

Gotcha - I ended getting the whole sh'bang. Came close to $400 with all parts. I'll be posting pics soon. Thanks!

I was surprised how easy it was to do. You will love the outcome. I'm assuming you haven't done this yet. I need to post more pics of mine too to get ideas on how to finish the blackout look.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got all my parts too. Just a bit under $400 for everything.

I'll tackle it as soon as it warms up a bit more around here, and I find out how to remove the 2016+ style rails without breaking anything.

Back