Roof Rack/Roof Rails for Ford PIU 2013/2014 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rack/Roof Rails for Ford PIU 2013/2014

bhmayor

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford (FPIU)
ALCON,

It is my understanding that the Ford Police Interceptor Utility (FPIU) does not come stock with the roof rails (the front to back of the vehicle bars that the cross bars attach too), ostensibly due to the presumption that light bars will end up atop the vehicle anyway. As such, what choices do I have (I presume aftermarket) to add cross bars to such a vehicle so that I could mount a roof top device?

I would think adding the factor roof rails (from a consumer Ford Explorer) would be a huge rigmarole, and that likely an aftermarket system is preferable.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does your PIU have the holes drilled in the roof for factory rails? My 2013 had the correct mount points and I plan on buying a set of used rails from eBay in the near future.

I am not sure and can't look right now...a friend of mine owns part of a Ford Dealership and identified and got the vehicle for me. I will be talking to him about it later today and will have to see if it does or not. Might be that they come from the factory with the holes there and then plugged up since modifying the assembly process for not drilling them might not be worth it for Ford to do.

What kind of roof top device were you wanting to carry?

If it's not a kayak or other similar/large/long item that has to go on the roof, there are a few different kinds of hitch mounted cargo/carrier options.

I am not sure and can't look right now...a friend of mine owns part of a Ford Dealership and identified and got the vehicle for me. I will be talking to him about it later today and will have to see if it does or not. Might be that they come from the factory with the holes there and then plugged up since modifying the assembly process for not drilling them might not be worth it for Ford to do.
Do you have both a 5th generation Explorer and the 1999? If so, please add the 5th gen. to a signature so members will know what you have. Thank you.

Peter

ALCON,

It is my understanding that the Ford Police Interceptor Utility (FPIU) does not come stock with the roof rails (the front to back of the vehicle bars that the cross bars attach too), ostensibly due to the presumption that light bars will end up atop the vehicle anyway. As such, what choices do I have (I presume aftermarket) to add cross bars to such a vehicle so that I could mount a roof top device?

I would think adding the factor roof rails (from a consumer Ford Explorer) would be a huge rigmarole, and that likely an aftermarket system is preferable.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

I installed black used OEM roof rack to my 2013 Interceptor. PIUs already have holes. Not need any modification. Cost me about 240 CAD.

For same year PIU and XLT can the rack be swapped straight across for the groove filler and end pieces?

ALCON,

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer XLT and will be acquiring in a few days the 2013 PIU (I am getting from a friend who is a PI dealer).

The device I wish to carry can only be mounted on a roof top and is specifically designed for that.

It seems like maybe I can remove the roof rails from the 1999 and put them on the 2013? Is that what I am hearing and understanding?

Thanks!

ALCON,

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer XLT and will be acquiring in a few days the 2013 PIU (I am getting from a friend who is a PI dealer).

The device I wish to carry can only be mounted on a roof top and is specifically designed for that.

It seems like maybe I can remove the roof rails from the 1999 and put them on the 2013? Is that what I am hearing and understanding?

Thanks!
Not sure of the PIU is the same as the retail in weight restrictions, but without the moonroof the max weight is 100 lbs.

Peter

In my 2014 Police Explorer, There are sealed screws which fill the holes for the racks. Seems to me, a junk-yard rack from a civilian Exploader of the same year will work. You may have to remove the headliner though.

Back