• Register Today It's free!

Roof rack suggestions?

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Limited
Hey guys,

I'm looking to add a roof rack to my 2007 limited to carry an old town canoe. Canoe is about 14 feet long, 36" wide. I'm looking at generic fit crossbars as I don't have the factory crossbars. I have the factory roof rails though. Any suggestions? The canoe will be the heaviest thing I ever carry on my roof. Internet says it's 80 lbs, my little brother says it's 100.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To make things more confusing: I read the max was 50 lbs.

To make things more confusing: I read the max was 50 lbs.

I sincerely hope not, I know the previous gens can all carry about 100 lbs on their roof racks. I just don't think the stock bars will be long enough to accommodate the canoe safely.

Looking for generic crossbars that can mount to the factory rails.

I have the Thule crossroads footpack with square rails and i've personally stood on mine well in the basket on them but they held fine.

I have the factory roof rack and cross bars and throw 100lbs worth of kayaks up there all the time for 250mile trips .... nobody has yet to tell me its unsafe or over weight

Anyone have any suggestions? Just looking for generic fit crossbars. I have tried 2 different sets through RAGE Powersports and neither set fit the factory side rails.

For the price of new Thule or Yakima gear, I could just buy a small trailer and have that added convenience.

Go to a salvage yard and buy some stock crossbars. Cheap and they'll hold up.

Back