• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rack Weight Limit?

ultraclyde

Reaction score
City, State
Bonaire Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V8
I'm planning on building a safari rack for my second gen and I've seen a bunch of great ideas here in the fab section. I'd like the rack to be large, covering most of the roof, and I'm planning on using 1" 16ga steel sq tube since I don't have the rig for welding aluminum.

The rack will be for general gear use - the X is our tow vehicle for a popup camper and my travel/adventure rig for mountain and road biking. It's a 2wd, and i don't do any offroading.

Given the size, what's the best way to mount it so that it still has a good bit of weight carrying capacity? I'd love to remove the factory crossbars and use the existing mount points, but I know the factory setup is only good for a couple hundred pounds. I'd considered removing the factory rub rails and direct mounting it. Bolting it through the roof with interior backing plates would be strongest, but it seems a bit extreme, plus there's the risk of leaks and having to remove the headliner.

I'm not planning on hauling stacks of plywood, but the rack itself will probably be over 75 lbs, and one of the main items to strap down is a 10x10 Easy-Up canopy, which is probably 30+ lbs. Add a couple mountain bikes and some other sundries, and it's getting heavy.

On a related note, when you guys mount lights on the rack, where do you bring the wires out through the roof? Long term I plan on have some driving lights, a couple low power side floods and perhaps supplemental brake/turns for towing. My rack design will be drilled for internal wire routing throughout the rack.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fifty views and not one comment? Really?

This is a very knowledgeable, active forum group. I almost always find the info I need in some existing form, and there are members here that are doing way more with their X than I ever will, and at a much higher skill level.

but every time I post here, it seems i get very little response. Did I do something wrong? Miss a point of etiquette? Do I smell funny?

What gives? Somebody has some experience with mounting these racks for load capacity, I've seen too much top notch fab work to believe oterhwise.

I don't have a second Gen, but when it comes to wiring lights you either drill through the roof and use any number of different things to route the wires i am currently purchasing a 2 part cannon plug to allow myself the option of a quick disconnect if i wanted to take the roof rack off.
There are other ways of getting the wires up there but i don't have experience with the second Gen ex.
If your planning on drilling holes and mounting brackets you will run into any number of issues when it comes to making it water tight because the roof rack will still move a little bit and it will want to shake itself off.
Sorry i don't have much more input. Good luck someone should chime in, you can create another thread in the performance lighting section for more opinions concerning wiring.

I am going to make my own rack so I am monitioring this thread to see what comes up.

so not much going on with this thread, im in the same boat clyde, any update to this?

Back