Dfmanley

Reaction score
City, State
Saint Petersburg
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 explorer xlt
Hi all,

I have a 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

When I am traveling at around 15 mph I get a rotational hum, it is sometimes worse, but does not increase proportionally to speed, and while it happens frequently it is not always there.

It happens with 4 wheel drive engaged or disengaged
It happens accelerating, decelerating, and coasting.
It does not stop when I apply brakes but will go away as my speed drops below 10 or goes over 20.

I did stop by a mechanic and he said he believes it is coming from the 4 wheel drive system but he would need to take apart the differential to tell me more.

I am mostly just doing some investigation to educate myself, and also seeing if I am able to work on this myself which I would prefer just for fun.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It actually started right after I bought one new tire so I dont have a match set.

And I inspected the u joint according to some other threads here. It seems really solid no movement at all. I did not take it apart to see if it is seized.

There is your problem. You need a match set or the RSS will engage the 4x4, without the light coming on. Get a match set all the way around and it will go away. The slightest variation in dimension will cause this, so even the same brand, with less ware will not work. I guess you could take that new one and put it on a real car and roll it until its the same size as the rest :).

Huh I will have to try all new tires then was just waiting a paycheck or two lol. And real car??? Lol just kicking me while I'm down nice.

ah ok ok, so what in the traction control would cause the rotational rubbing/humming I hear?

If one tire is spinning faster then the rest it applies the breaks, but the 4x4 also applies on to stop what the cpu thinks is a tire getting stuck. It uses the speed sensors for the ABS on each tire. There was a fellow on here who had the same thing happen on his explorer last month. his tires were father apart in size and it was actually grinding around corners.

well yea that totally makes sense. thanks for all your quick answers!

Back