Rough Idle - 02 Explorer 4.0 XLS pre March Build | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough Idle - 02 Explorer 4.0 XLS pre March Build

Im having the same problems and codes with my 02..so yes somebody please decipher this nonsense!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BUMP:: Trying to get some input on the numbers in the chart. Thanks!

I have my new code reader and it reads some pretty detailed stuff using Torque on my droid phone. I recorded some of the data when I started having the idling issue. A little past half down the pic, my idle drops to 460. The voltage to Bank 1 Sensor 1 is at 0.19 where Bank 2 Sensor 1 is above 0.5 almost the entire time. Does that mean the sensor isn't working? Also there is a few times when the Vacuum reads 0, I don't know if this is really a loss of vacuum or a glitch in the program or lag. And lastly, the fuel trim is solid the entire time on Bank 1 with a postive number, where as on Bank 2 it is always changing and a negative number. Can anyone make sense of this info:

Untitled.jpg

I changed the oxygen sensor with no luck. Still had the idle issues. I took it to a local mechanic who said there were also no vacuum leaks. So I changed the plugs, plug wires, and fuel filter.

I will post again if this fixes the problem. I haven't driven it but a few miles since.

Driven it three days with no check engine light. Noticed it sputter maybe twice. Will update again soon.

Either the plugs and wires fixed it, or the fuel filter. My guess would be the fuel filter. Thanks for the support.

I ended up trading off the Explorer. I had a mechanic check it out and he found a busted shock, front bearing going out, and bad ball joints (i think if memory serves). Also, I put thicker gear oil in hoping to silence the whining, but it didn't work. The axle seals wear also leaking. So to fix all those problems and replace the rear end was going to cost 1k. With the motor having 213k on it, I thought it best to let it go.

My suggestion to others. Have a mechanic look over a vehicle before you buy it. Had I spent $30 up front I could have saved myself hundreds.

LESSON LEARNED!

I've tried finding this elbow people talk about, but for the life of me I can't find it. Most pictures people post are from V8 engines, or another different model than mine. I've seen some posts mention it is between the intake and firewall, which if that is the case, I can't get to it.
I have had the same problem as well. I bought the part, Motorcraft #KCV 190 . I am not having any luck trying to locate this PCV elbow tube anywhere. Know if its between the intake and firewall then I definitely will not be able to get to it.

Read this old thread trying to diagnose bank 1 misfires at low rpm on 4.0l SOHC '02 XLS.

Doesn't make sense to me that fuel filter would cause only one bank (e.g., cylinders 1, 2, and 3) to misfire or run rich/lean....

Back