1. It's time for our yearly 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale! Last day is November 30!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a full two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership!

If you would like to extend an existing membership for two more years please contact "Rick" through a conversation/private message as I will have to set up existing memberships manually. Thank you and happy holidays!!!
    Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rough Idle - 02 Explorer 4.0 XLS pre March Build

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by delusive, May 19, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. delusive

delusive New Member

Either the plugs and wires fixed it, or the fuel filter. My guess would be the fuel filter. Thanks for the support.

I ended up trading off the Explorer. I had a mechanic check it out and he found a busted shock, front bearing going out, and bad ball joints (i think if memory serves). Also, I put thicker gear oil in hoping to silence the whining, but it didn't work. The axle seals wear also leaking. So to fix all those problems and replace the rear end was going to cost 1k. With the motor having 213k on it, I thought it best to let it go.

My suggestion to others. Have a mechanic look over a vehicle before you buy it. Had I spent $30 up front I could have saved myself hundreds.

LESSON LEARNED!

2. Support EF

Holiday Special through Nov 30! Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 4.0LSOHC

4.0LSOHC New Member

City, State:
      CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 Explorer XLS 4 door
      I have had the same problem as well. I bought the part, Motorcraft #KCV 190 . I am not having any luck trying to locate this PCV elbow tube anywhere. Know if its between the intake and firewall then I definitely will not be able to get to it.

4. Drewmcg

Drewmcg Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Ann Arbor, MI
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 Explorer XLS 2WD
      Read this old thread trying to diagnose bank 1 misfires at low rpm on 4.0l SOHC '02 XLS.

Doesn't make sense to me that fuel filter would cause only one bank (e.g., cylinders 1, 2, and 3) to misfire or run rich/lean....