1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rough Idle, Check Engine Light is On, Spark Plug Issue - connected?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by bikeguy, August 25, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. bikeguy

bikeguy New Member

City, State:
      Traverse City, Michigan
      Year and Model:
      2000 Explorer 2dr
      I've got a 2000 Explorer Sport (2dr) w/ 4.0 X-Vin OHV with 126xxx miles and I've got a few engine issues I'm trying to diagnose, wondering if the issues I'm having are connected - mechanic hasn't been a big help.

Here's what I'm seeing:
      - Check Engine Light has been on for some time, scanned codes, says I have a large vacuum leak (can't remember what the exact code was). Per mechanic's suggestions, I've replaced the gas cap 2x, hasn't fixed problem. I'm wondering if there is a valve in the vacuum system that has gone bad?

- New Motorcraft plugs & wires. Plugs have needed replaced at least once a year. Center electrodes get worn down to almost a nub/fine point and cylinder will start missing badly. Usually the offending plug will be on the lean side and codes will indicate a cylinder is running lean. Every time it's happened, it's been a different plug that goes bad - never in the same cylinder twice.

- At start-up, truck idles rough when cold. At/below idle, idles roughly, chugs
      - rev the throttle in neutral or accelerate over 2000-2500, cleans rough idle out and truck starts/runs great while warm.

- Slowly losing coolant from radiator, can't determine where. Not seeing any leaks or drips, doesn't leak while sitting. I will occasionally smell a puff of coolant via the heater/ac ducts when starting the truck (mostly when truck is warm), but that's about it. Truck doesn't appear to be smoking in engine compartment or excessively out tailpipe. I've pulled plugs a number of times in the last year and there has been no evidence of coolant on the plugs. Truck has not overheated to my knowledge. Wondering if I have a leaking heater hose or something like that? Got my fingers crossed, really hoping it's not a head gasket leak - need to run a compression test soon.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. specialized7

specialized7 Active Member

City, State:
      saskatoon
      Year and Model:
      99 SPORT
      Upper and lower intake gaskets, id get someone to pressure test the system.