Rough idle / FLASHING check engine light?!? PLEASE HELP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough idle / FLASHING check engine light?!? PLEASE HELP

Hpnotiq

Reaction score
City, State
teaneck, nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xlt
**** sorry for the long story, just want to give as much detail is possible, thank you ****

Hey i have a 99 explorer and this morning i work up and my car was idling and running REALLY rough (prior to this i have had the check engine light on as long as i could rememer... code said my car is running 2 rich or sumthing, never got the time to check it out and recently it sounds like a small hole has developed on my headers) So i wake up go 2 turn the car on and like i said its running really rough. Drove away and at like 2000-2500 rpm the engine sputters alot, after that it runs really sluggish and with lots of noise coming from the engine (the hole in the header sound got ALOT louder and the engine sounds like its sputtering just not as much) and i could also smell fuel. while driving to work i try and see if i can accletate the car hard to see what would happen and my check engine light started flashing for the first time. when i got 2 my job i checked out the engine to see if i could see anything and i realized that a black rubber jose has come off on the right side of the engine (dont know what it does but its a short line, there are 2 of them that run from a black small plastic sensor looking thing to a small metal pipe where the 2 hoses go, looks like a fuel line i guess) i put that hose back on and drove the car around, still sputters just not as much and the car is VERY sluggish when u step on it (its sounds like its being restricted) plleeaasssee help im lost as to what it could be... i know nothing about cars but its sounds like a spark plug / spark plug wire falfunction.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's what I was going to say. Sounds like a plug or wire is bad. Maybe even a coil pack. Is this a V6 or V8?

which v6? OHV or OHC?

dont exactly know i think its the worst of the 2

it could be a bunch of things, i am leaning towards a bad oxygen sensor especially if you are getting error codes that said it was running rich. Could also be plugs and wires too like section525 said.

My check engine light just came on. It ended up being plugs 5,6,7 & 8 were nearly blown out of the head. :eek: Too much hot-roddin'. Check to make sure all the plugs are in tight and that all the wires are securely on the plugs. It could be an easy, cheap fix. Or, it could be an o2 sensor. Had that happen too. :p

The hose that was disconnected sounds like the DPFE and EGR hose. If you are having trouble with the DPFE your truck will run like S**t. Run search for DPFE....

If I remember correctly, my owner's manual states that a flashing check engine light is caused by an engine misfire, potentially resulting in excessive exhaust temperature. I recommend changing all of the spark plugs and wires to see if that solves the problem. It could be something as simple as a plug wire touching the exhaust manifold and burned through. Good luck.

The only time I've seen a check engine light flash is for a misfire code. Get the codes pulled ASAP..........

i got it fixed thanx, it was a combo of the bad hose and a spark plug that had about a 1/4 inch gap between the to parts that spark (dunno exactly wut they are called) its running ALOT better and best of all, for the first time, i dont have a check engine light on =P thanx everybody

JL 3x12 Xplorer said:
The only time I've seen a check engine light flash is for a misfire code. Get the codes pulled ASAP..........
A flashing check engine light means that there is a misfire that has the potential to cause raw fuel to enter the convertors causing them to fail. In most cases you can drive with a check engine light on solid, but disregarding a flashing one can cost lots of money down the road.

thanx, ok so now everything is good..... but today i just noticed my 4x4 hi and 4x4 low lights flash on the dash... anybody know wuts up with that? (i know that if the switched isent plugged in that it will do that... the switch is plugged in)

Hpnotiq said:
thanx, ok so now everything is good..... but today i just noticed my 4x4 hi and 4x4 low lights flash on the dash... anybody know wuts up with that? (i know that if the switched isent plugged in that it will do that... the switch is plugged in)
try the search option first you will get lots of ideas and fixes...take the time to SEARCH...good luck

Or u cant just not b a dick since we were already on the topic and help me out, thanx

Hpnotiq said:
Or u cant just not b a dick since we were already on the topic and help me out, thanx

Dude,

It is way uncool to dis someone trying to help you out. If you are like that, good luck getting help from anyone on this board.

Can any one help me? problem with under hood light, tach, idiot lights and 4x4 buttons dont work either just bought it cant tell if they ever worked

Can any one help me? problem with under hood light, tach, idiot lights and 4x4 buttons dont work either just bought it cant tell if they ever worked fuses ok nothing lights with key on key switch seem a little loose alarm stays on after keys removed and lights are off............

maybe your guage cluster isn't plugged in?? Does the cluster light up when you turn on the headlights? If it does, then scrap my idea...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok guys have used a lot of information from this forum. I thought I'd share my experience. Lower intake gasket blew out at rear coolant port,so I filled the coolant tank with water since it was going to leak out anyway, just to get it home. Left work and a mile or two into the trip it started to miss. Limped it on home 30 miles. Changed the gasket started it up and still had the miss. Thought it was because the water had soaked the distributor. So I sprayed starting fluid around it to no avail. Anyway after checking every possibility accept for the plugs so after pulling each wire off while running the engine I narrowed it down to #6 , the opposite side of the troubled gasket. I pulled the plug and it was wet with gas, changed it out and solved the problem. Thanks
Gary H.

Back