and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rough IDLE P0172 and P0174 Codes

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by chloedad, October 7, 2013.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. chloedad

chloedad New Member

City, State:
      Richmond, VA
      Year and Model:
      2004 Ford Explorer
      Last week my Explorer began running rough. I had multiple misfire codes (300, 301, 302, 303, 316, etc.) I replaced all my wires, plugs, MAF, and crank shaft sensor. It still idles rough, more so after the engine gets warmed up. A little history about this vehicle....I put a new transmission in the vehicle approximately 30K miles ago and a new (used motor 58K) in it last August (22K miles ago). This motor now has about 80k on it.

I am now getting a P0172 Bank 1 Rich and a P0174 Bank 2 Lean codes. Any ideas. Also when I accelerate hard I hear the timing chain (so thought about changing the tensioner?). As much as I love this vehicle I am about ready to throw it in the river. I had to have the computer reprogrammed a few weeks ago since after I changed the battery the computer would no longer recognize the key.

But any thoughts on what I am getting now with the rich and lean codes?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. HiImBrian

HiImBrian Well-Known Member

City, State:
      St. Petersburg, Florida
      Year and Model:
      2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
      A clogged catalytic converter can cause all kinds of problems like that by increasing the amount of back pressure. This has been a problem for a lot of people lately. Our Explorers are getting to the age where a lot of things start to wear out.

Take it to a reputable muffler shop and they'll check it for free. It can be expensive to replace them. However if you live somewhere that doesn't have emissions testing like I do, you can hollow them out or have them replaced with a piece of open pipe instead. Keep in mind that the "reputable" shops won't do that for you though... "TECHNICALLY" it's "illegal".

As far as the tensioner is concerned, pop off the valve covers and check for slack in the chains. If there is any, you've got another "fun" project.

4. redoxy

redoxy New Member

City, State:
      Edmonton, Alberta
      Year and Model:
      2002 Eddie Bauer
      Rich and lean codes usually are the result of vacuum leaks. They are also the reason why you are getting multiple misfire codes. Before you throw another part at it. Check and make sure all the vacuum lines and intact and there are no leaks.

5. chloedad

chloedad New Member

City, State:
      Richmond, VA
      Year and Model:
      2004 Ford Explorer
      Is it harmful to drive it like this? Will it harm the vehicle?

6. redoxy

redoxy New Member

City, State:
      Edmonton, Alberta
      Year and Model:
      2002 Eddie Bauer
      well for one thing misfiring mean throwing raw fuel into the cat converter which will likely burn it out and will require you replacing it if you continue to drive.
      Also your fuel economy will go down with a misfire.

7. chloedad

chloedad New Member

City, State:
      Richmond, VA
      Year and Model:
      2004 Ford Explorer
      Well, I took it to a more upscale mechanic to have it "properly" diagnosed. Basically they have said that it is something internal on the passenger side of the motor. No leaks, no converter issues.....It is disappointing since this motor only has 80k miles on it.