Round plastic ball in right front wheel well?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Round plastic ball in right front wheel well??

wisneski7

Reaction score
City, State
Green Bay, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
I pulled down the black plastic inner fender on the passenger side to replace the hub/sensor, and to replace plugs/wires. When I dropped down the fender, a large plastic ball about the size of a softball fell down with it. It has two wires running to it. I have no idea what it is, but I would guess it has something to do with the outside air temp on the mirror? Anyhow, I have no idea where this is suppose to be mounted. I assumed next to the plug that the wheel hub sensor connects, but it doesn't seem to line up with the mounting holes. Any ideas?

Aaron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what you are describing to me it sounds like its the evap canister, which has to do with your emissions system.

Vacuum reservoir.

It does indeed attach to the fender liner. It should have some tabs that allow it to snap into the holes on the liner itself.

Edit: Turdle posted as I was writing.

Great thanks for the info!

Aaron

Mine has two hoses running from it that are not hooked up to anything. Where do they go and hook up to. Its a 1999 4.0 OHV XLS. Thanks

Chris

Mine has two hoses running from it that are not hooked up to anything. Where do they go and hook up to. Its a 1999 4.0 OHV XLS. Thanks

Chris

Thread revive, but yeah, I'd also like to know. When I pulled it down one of the shorter of the two wires is disconnected. What is it and where might it connect and is it important?

those are not wires they are vacuum lines
That is the vacuum canister, it is there to hold some vacuum while the engine is off so you can still have vacuum when you re start. The vacuum ball has a one way check valve inside of it, can only be hooked up properly or it will not work
If you guys find this ball with no lines hooked up to it then you have vacuum line issues

Yup, I have the short line disconnected b/c it was on the inner fender well when I pulled it down and it yanked at least 1 hose out. My AC won't blow thru the vents now. So I'm trying to figure out where these connect... any help, photos or diagrams would be helpful for both connections.
Thanks!

yup
I do not have any SOHC trucks or V6 explorers here right now to help
But without vacuum your dash HVAC controls default to the defroster
So basically one vacuum line should be going into the vac ball from the engine side
Then it leaves and splits into a couple of spots including the dash and heater valve feeds
The output line should head straight under the coolant overflow the engine feed line should be easy enough to spot near the the pass valve cover

Back