• Register Today It's free!

RSC troubleshooting help

mftd1975

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville,KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 xlt
Please forgive me if there is another thread already and if so please provide some links. I own a 2008 Explorer 4.0 4x4 with 138,456 miles. The problem is at random while driving the :" service rsc now" red light and chimes comes on radio shuts off dash goes nuts and then goes back to normal. This all takes place and resumes normal operation with in a few seconds. Then problem is random while at all speeds and driving conditions.

I have pulled the following codes U1900- communication bus malfunction, B1884 Unexpected feature present, B1676 Battery pack voltage out of range.

The wheel beaarings were replaced two years ago. I installed an after market radio with steering wheel adapter 1 year ago. This problem started 2 weeks ago and is getting more common. I did discover the thermostat housing is leaking and the sensor under it ( Im assuming temp sensor) has a melted shielding. I will be ordering new ones but I do not think its related to the RSC system.

I have pulled and yanked on all wires and took a little sand paper to the abs sensors.

Any advice where to start?

Update,
checked the battery voltage and have the following data points, Engine off 12.7, at at start up 11.6 , idle 13.9 3500 rpm 14 vdc.

I did notice that the thermostat housing is leaking and I have a lot of sludge build up on the lower intake. One wire is bare severally damaged but I cant tell where it goes. It sets in front of the housing and runs under. The sensor mounted on the lower intake toward the middle is also covered in slime. I doubt they are related to the RSC problem but who knows. Can any one tell me what the sensors are?

t1.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How old is your battery?

A year shows 12. 6 off drops to 11.2 on start up at 1200 rpm shows 13.2

I'm thinking a short wire or a module but till it goes on not going to know.

A year shows 12. 6 off drops to 11.2 on start up at 1200 rpm shows 13.2
That's marginal. Understand that a bad battery or an under performing alternator can cause some weird electrical problems. Does the voltage go up if you rev it?

I'm thinking a short wire or a module but till it goes on not going to know.

Don't go there yet - the first step of troubleshooting is to start with the simple stuff. If you immediately jump to the rare then 95% of the time you will lose.

I'll have to check the battery and altenator tomorrow and post an update.

Back