1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Runs rough, CE lite on, no power

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer 911!' started by OldYankee, January 21, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. OldYankee

OldYankee New Member

City, State:
      Concord, MA
      Year and Model:
      '98 XLT
      I'm bummed, my baby is hurting and I don't how to make her feel better...

I recently had the thermostat and fan belt changed, then in less than 200 miles, the engine started acting weird. On a particulalry long, steep hill in northern NH, the check engine light came on and she started to run rough. I figured the cold might be part of the problem (-14F), and I assured myself that when I get back home (in MA) that I would have it checked.

Well, I changed the plugs and wires, and replaced the rear O2 sensor.

The engine still ran rough when accelerating, and dropped in RPMs when Idling to around 500-600 to almost stalling. Also, there was a knocking, not a tapping like water in the fuel, but knocking in the engine at all times (that it was running). I had lost alot of power to climb hills and accelerate, too.

I dropped it off at the Ford dealer, the diags said that cyclinder 4 & 5 were misfiring and they suspect the timing chain has problems. They need to remove the front of the engine to see what the problems are ($400). Then if the problem is timing chain only, then another $8-900 to fix that, but possibly, on the high-end, $3500 for a new engine.

I'm in shock.

Something doesn't sound right to me, and I need more opinions from those who know.

Last edited: January 22, 2004
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Billy177

Billy177 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Redding CT
      Year and Model:
      99 Explorer XLT SOHC 4x4
      did you ever have the recalls performed i would change the plugs and wires but the dealers diagnostics is very possible

4. section525

section525 sextion525 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Red Bluff, Ca
      Year and Model:
      1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
      Sounds like a coil pack to me. I've had two go out in my V8 so far. Might as well check that first since its only $50 or so.

5. OldYankee

OldYankee New Member

City, State:
      Concord, MA
      Year and Model:
      '98 XLT
      She has new plugs and wires. I replaced those when before bringing it to the dealer. She runs better, but the problems still are the same.

6. OldYankee

OldYankee New Member

City, State:
      Concord, MA
      Year and Model:
      '98 XLT
      Feeling good

GREAT NEWS!

I just spoke to the dealer, they tore open the engine to check out the timing chain, and there was more broken than they thought.

On the other hand, since I had only 97,000 miles on her, the repairs fall under one of Ford's warranty repair plans and it will be covered, completely. Everything. Today is a good day...maybe I'll buy a lottery ticket!