Rust on Door Sill. Who else has this happened to? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rust on Door Sill. Who else has this happened to?

Has YOUR 1st or 2nd gen Explorer had rust on a bottom door sill?

• No rust, at least not yet

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • No rust on the door, but there's visible body rust elsewhere

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • A little bit, but not really noticeable from the outside

• Yes, and it's quite noticeable

• Total voters

AP9

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago SW suburbs
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4WD, 4.0L OHV V6
I've noticed that most 1st and 2nd generation Explorers I've seen around have visible rust at the bottom of at least one door.

I myself have gotten rust on the bottom of my rear-right door, and recently it has started to spread to the outside. Though actual rust wasn't yet visible to the outside, the paint was starting to bubble up just like it has on many other Explorers I have seen around. Took off the affected paint and primed it with Corroseal; will repaint it sometime within the next several days.

So who else has had this happen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine is starting to rust around the rear wheel arches. And right above the gas cap..
Really bothering me. But I'm horrible with body repair.

No body rust for me here in WY.

The only "bothersome" rust issue I have is on the backsides of the chrome bumpers.

No body rust for me here in WY.

The only "bothersome" rust issue I have is on the backsides of the chrome bumpers.

My bumpers have no rust on them. :D

You know you can get rid of that rust with steel wool and a good metal polish, right?

HA! i had to cut from the bottom of the doors down on both sides from wheel well to wheel well (outer and inner rockers). and also had on both quarter wheel lips. both door seams (inside) had scaling, and the rear hatch.

All bodymen say a vehicle rusts from the inside out. My first 2000 needed new rockers, and at least 1 door is pretty bad. also, the piece of metal that seperates the two rear door windows is really bad. They just dont last forever on our wonderful salted roads.

My new,old gen 2 from down south was given a good dose of oil (rust protection) everywhere. Lets hope my all but rust free 2000 doesnt disintigrate over the winter.

Wash your vehicle regularly!

If you want to prevent rocker rust on your presently not so rusty Ex.

Cut drain holes in the bottom of the rocker by the pinch weld front and rear so moisture doesn't get trapped. It is completely enclosed. Over time the seal at the pinch allows mud/silt in that traps salt and moisture. Regularly ****** it out with wd40. And of course wash that nasty rig once in awhile! (weekly)

Water will make it all the way sown to the rocker from door hinges, leaking windshield, door wiring holes, leaking sun roof, leaking rear quarter glass, etc. So with no drain holes in the rockers!!!!!

For you east coasties: Marine yards sell a spray on salt neutralizer and de-salting solution.

Many vehicles over the years have had "water traps" just like this it's not a Ford thing, it's a simplicity of manufacturing thing.

FR-425 :thumbsup:
That undercarriage wash really becomes important in the winter.

HA! i had to cut from the bottom of the doors down on both sides from wheel well to wheel well (outer and inner rockers). and also had on both quarter wheel lips. both door seams (inside) had scaling, and the rear hatch.

Wanna come do mine, Tim? It's started. :(

Back