1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rusted pan above spare tire?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by red97xlt, October 2, 2007.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. red97xlt

red97xlt New Member

City, State:
      Dayton, OH
      Year and Model:
      97 Explorer XLT 4x4 SOHC
      I am in the process of installing rear shocks. I removed the spare tire. However, on the driver's side, there is a very rusted pan/tray holding two black objects (I have no idea what they are). Can anyone help me out in identifying what these black objects are and if the "pan "is safe to remove/replace? I need to remove it in order to get access to the upper bolts.

Here is a picture:
      [​IMG]

For some reason, the embedded picture stopped showing...so here is a link:
      Picture Link

Any help is greatly appreciated!
      Thanks in advance!

Last edited: October 3, 2007
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Dan Whitaker

Dan Whitaker One fast putty tat Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Raytown MO (Kansas City suburb)
      Year and Model:
      No Mounty no more.
      You can access the drivers side upper shock bolts with out removing the pan. I just did the rear shocks on mine last week.

It is a little tricky but can be done.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human-Animal Hybrid

City, State:
      Carmichael, CA
      Year and Model:
      '97 Sport 4x4
      Those black objects are the charcoal canister(s). They are part of the Evaporative Emissions system. I think the "pan" is actually kind of a skid plate to protect the canisters.

You must be in the rust belt. :p: :D

5. DeRocha

DeRocha NEX Vice President Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Brockton, MA
      Year and Model:
      '93 XLT 4x4
      Updating your profile to include your vehicle details and your location is very helpful when people are reading your posts. The more information you include the better the answers.. Although your member name is self explanatory we have had various members in the past with several vehicles and the topic was confusing as to the vehicle in question..

6. red97xlt

red97xlt New Member

City, State:
      Dayton, OH
      Year and Model:
      97 Explorer XLT 4x4 SOHC
      Thanks everyone for your help. I called the stealership and they wanted $186 for a new vapor/charcoal container bracket!!! I called 5 junkyards all to no avail.

And Dan, yes I was able to finally get the top bolts off without removing the pan. Removing the pan would have made it easier though :). I didn't feel like getting robbed by the dealership, so I finished putting the shocks on and just threw the spare tire back up there. Now I just have to worry about hitting a bump and sending the vapor/charcoal canisters into the spare tire :)

Thanks!

Last edited: October 4, 2007
    7. reserved50

reserved50 Active Member

City, State:
      Current : 2011 Base Exploder
      Year and Model:
      Last: 97 XLT SC'd 5.0/331
      later model Exploders have plastic ones, I swapped mine over

8. calisoundmix

calisoundmix Active Member

City, State:
      san jose, ca
      Year and Model:
      '98 XLT SOHC
      since the picture is already in this thread, does anyone know what size/type bolts are used to secure this to the frame?, mine were lost after a leaf spring replacement at a local college shop.