Rustproofing / Undercoating | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rustproofing / Undercoating

The Dealer 4 miles from my house puts another sticker on every car and truck with thing added on (seat protection, undercoating, bed liner for trucks, paint protection, and also pin strips) for a total of about $4,000). Put all these option together maybe $1000.00
The dealer I deal with is 20 miles from my home where none of this is even talked about unless you ask for it (like the spray on bed liner for a truck for $99.00 ).

Pin stripe $80 at the auto repair shop ( the color stripe you want and how you want it on the vehicle).

If you want these thing shop them at other places like auto detailers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

because I just moved and don't have any of my stuff yet I went to Wally world tonight to get some car care supplies. My purchase included a hose, spray nozzle, bucket, car soap, assorted spongues/scrub brushes, micro fiber cloths and a absorbent cloth. I also got some McGuires leather conditioner. I spent about 50 bucks on all of it. My point? Keep it clean, waxed and in the garage if you have one and you will never need any "extra" treatment. Twice a year give it a good clay bar and wax also. A little elbow grease goes a long way to saving money.

I'm bringing this back from the dead. I have a quick question.

I live in Northern Ontario. I get my other vehicles Krown'd every year to prevent rusting from the billions of pounds of Salt used on our road here.

Is there anything in the Ford Warantee that says Third Party Rustproofing voids the warrantee? Could someone find out for me?

Perhaps CORY can chime in?

Thanks,
Matt

We go it on our edge from the dealer just because of the 5 year rust free warranty that came with it. I'll pay the $300 for them to do it as long as they stand behind the warranty, cause I will bring it in if I find the smallest amount of rust anywhere on it.

My dealer actually recommended not rustproofing the vehicle because there's no need to since all the parts are pretty much painted. You really don't have to worry about rusting. I looked under the car and only saw that the only parts that have rust on them are the axles.

Thanks Cory. I appreciate it.
You got it, KanewtZ; I checked with my tech adviser and he said there’s nothing that says getting an under coating will void the warranty. However, if they damage something when the under coating was put on, then that would not be covered. But the under coating itself does not affect the warranty status of a vehicle.

Cory

You got it, KanewtZ; I checked with my tech adviser and he said there’s nothing that says getting an under coating will void the warranty. However, if they damage something when the under coating was put on, then that would not be covered. But the under coating itself does not affect the warranty status of a vehicle.

Cory

Thanks for the information Cory. I appreciate it.

Its funny to read some of the comments especially about cars and trucks not rusting out!!!???? Many of the vehicles I have owned the bodies have gave out before the motors. I have driven several vehicles to the junk yard because the bodies were completely rusted out! I'm talking holes through the floor where you can see the pavement, wheel wells gone, uni-body frame destroyed etc. In Ottawa, Ontario we get extreme winter weather which calls for lots and lots of salt! You can expect a vehicle driven in Ottawa for 10 years to be completely rusted out.

I understand that rust is not a big concern for many, it just goes to show that your vehicles are not exposed to corrosive salt.

I have never rustproofed a vehicle but I'm looking into doing that for my Explorer. I plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time.

Rust never sleeps

Its funny to read some of the comments especially about cars and trucks not rusting out!!!???? Many of the vehicles I have owned the bodies have gave out before the motors. I have driven several vehicles to the junk yard because the bodies were completely rusted out! I'm talking holes through the floor where you can see the pavement, wheel wells gone, uni-body frame destroyed etc. In Ottawa, Ontario we get extreme winter weather which calls for lots and lots of salt! You can expect a vehicle driven in Ottawa for 10 years to be completely rusted out.

I understand that rust is not a big concern for many, it just goes to show that your vehicles are not exposed to corrosive salt.

I have never rustproofed a vehicle but I'm looking into doing that for my Explorer. I plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time.

^that

Really there is no way to completely prevent rust. Every single vehicle out there is rusting away (some faster than others). We cannot change the laws of physics: chemical reactions will happen whether we want them to or not.

What we CAN do is take preventative measures to slow down the rust. Ultimately, no two Explorers will be the same. The redox reaction to form oxides of iron (rust) requires iron (from the steel body/frame), water (from the environment--no way to avoid that), and an electrolyte (such as road salt, acid rain, or even minerals in the water). Once those are present, it's all chemistry.

As for me, I'm starting to see a bit of rust on underbody & frame of my 2000 XLT, and I plan on keeping this vehicle until it falls apart. It sees plenty of salt in the winter, so for me absolutely it's worth investing in anti-rust measures.

(Sorry for replying to an old thread, but I think this one is relevant to everybody)

^that

Really there is no way to completely prevent rust. Every single vehicle out there is rusting away (some faster than others). We cannot change the laws of physics: chemical reactions will happen whether we want them to or not.

What we CAN do is take preventative measures to slow down the rust. Ultimately, no two Explorers will be the same. The redox reaction to form oxides of iron (rust) requires iron (from the steel body/frame), water (from the environment--no way to avoid that), and an electrolyte (such as road salt, acid rain, or even minerals in the water). Once those are present, it's all chemistry.

As for me, I'm starting to see a bit of rust on underbody & frame of my 2000 XLT, and I plan on keeping this vehicle until it falls apart. It sees plenty of salt in the winter, so for me absolutely it's worth investing in anti-rust measures.

(Sorry for replying to an old thread, but I think this one is relevant to everybody)
One good thing with the Explorer is that it has an aluminum hood. I just wonder if it has been anodized and sealed?

Peter

The first thing I did when I bought my Jeep Unlimited new in 2005 was power-washed the under carriage and let it dry in the sun for a day. Then used (I forget the brand name) but it was a airplane grade waxy undercoating. Hit all the seams and frame, etc. Must let it 'air out' for another day....I'd recommend that type since it seals, but it flexible.

Last week, 8 years later, I sold it for top dollar (because it was so clean) and my new EX Sport is on its way.

Undercoating

hey all,
I've heard confilicting info on undercoating.Some people recommend it while others dont because they say its not required. Whats your opinion and what did you do? I am in NYC so i dont get the kind of snow the Canadians have or the midwestern folks.

What brand and cost did you incur if you did it.

Thanks

hey all,
I've heard confilicting info on undercoating.Some people recommend it while others dont because they say its not required. Whats your opinion and what did you do? I am in NYC so i dont get the kind of snow the Canadians have or the midwestern folks.

What brand and cost did you incur if you did it.

Thanks
As per my PM, I have moved your post to this thread.

Peter

Back