Dismiss Notice

to owner generated reviews, discussion, tech tips, and more! The #1 Ford Explorer enthusiast resource on the Internet since 1996. We also cover the Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Ryan's 5.0l Ranger swap

Discussion in 'Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum' started by TheStig365, June 17, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. TheStig365

TheStig365 New Member

City, State:
      OH
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2000 Ford Ranger
      Hi everyone, I will be using this thread to document my progress on swapping the 5.0l and all necessary components from a 1999 Explorer Limited AWD into my 2000 Ranger 4.0 OHV. I also plan on asking questions here as this community is full of information. Stay tuned for details!

• Like Like x 1
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. TheStig365

TheStig365 New Member

City, State:
      OH
      2000 Ford Ranger
      [​IMG]
      First picture is the truck that will be getting the new drivetrain, started life as a 3.0l auto before I bought it in 2014. The truck came into my hands with a 4.0l OHV auto, didn't know that wasn't the original motor till a year later, also found out the miles were rolled back :(. So the odometer says 152,000 but I have no idea what is the true mileage. Alright enough back story and onto the good stuff.

Before I started the thread I bought a 1999 Explorer 5.0l AWD as the donor vehicle for swapping the various parts to my truck. I pulled the motor, the transmission/transfer case.
      [​IMG]
      For this swap the plans are:
      Full rebuild motor
      Use explorer motor mounts, radiator, computer etc
      Wanted a 5 speed but auto will have to do right now
      Ditch AWD and go with a BW4406 electric
      Make BW4406 fit
      Try to use headers (Hedman 88400) (fingers crossed)
      Also swap in power leather seats and center console as a little icing on the cake

[​IMG]
      Current motor status

[​IMG]
      The headers that I am hopefully gonna see fit. If they need slight modification, which already I know they do because I have gt40p heads, I'm not opposed to but if they aren't even close, I'll just cut my losses.

4. Josh P

Josh P Shaggin Wagon Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Phoenix Az
      1991 aerostar
      5.0L is a good motor. I'd like to do this swap into my 87 ranger.

5. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Virginia Beach, Va
      00 4x4 Mounty
      I have an 01 swapped 5.0 ranger and will tell you from experience only headers made for the explorer 5.0 will fit. Bw4406 manual shift fits no problem.

• Useful Useful x 1
    6. TheStig365

TheStig365 New Member

City, State:
      OH
      2000 Ford Ranger
      That's what I was afraid of but I'm not afraid of a little custom work. Plan B will be to wait until torque monster headers or something similar become available again.

7. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Virginia Beach, Va
      00 4x4 Mounty
      It's tight and unless you have a full width solid axle swap with the steering box outside the frame it's going to be a big pain to make out the box headers work. I have the discontinued FMS headers on my ranger.