• Register Today It's free!

SAS in a 1995

Shane C.

Reaction score
City, State
Nampa, ID.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
I've got a 95' and am putting a dana 30 out of an 85' cherokee in it. I know some of you guys have done this already and I would like to ask you some questions. What did you use for a steering box? I'm also interested in how you did your conections for the steering, wheel to wheel and up to the box. I've seena couple of 95's that have been converted this way. I'd like to know who you are for future questions. I'm very close to starting the SAS, your responce is appreciated.

I am probably not the best person to answer this question as I have befuddled myself researching my own swap. However I'll give a go and bump your thread just cause your an Idaho boy, and I was born and raised there ;)

The most commonly used steering boxes are either form the early (first gen) explorers or rangers. Next most common is from the scout. There are a variety that will work for you though.

As far as the actual steering set-up. I have seen a wide variety of setups on here, My best suggestion is to dig through the SAS registry and see what works for you. Personally I plan on trying to re-use the set-up from the 96 XJ I pulled my axle from.

Good Luck with your project

Like dreamr said, the most common one is the first gen 91-94 Explorer steering box. Also, look through the SAS reistry and offroad explorer projects forums to see what set-up's would work for you.

Back