Scott B's 93 Ranger XLT V8 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Scott B's 93 Ranger XLT V8

Rebuilt the Rear Axle

After 140,000 miles, the pinion seal started leaking. Instead of just changing it, I decided to freshen up the entire axle.

Bearings and seals all around. After pulling it apart, I found that I need an axle repair bearing on the right side. I guess next time, it will time to replace the axles - LOL.

Here's a picture of the empty housing. Note: this is much easier when the axle is not under the truck!

Attachments

• Rear End.JPG
    Rear End.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,043

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally got around to installing these, from Colorado last fall.

And, I need to replace the tailgate latch handle. Just for the record, cutting through the Rhino Lining on the access panel was a pain.

Attachments

• Sticker1.JPG
    Sticker1.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,023
  • Sticker2.JPG
    Sticker2.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,026

That seal is a pita! lol

The stickers look good Scott. I slapped mine on the drivers side rear glass, and they still look good all these months later :)

Just seeing them stickers makes me reminisce of being there.

That seal is a pita! lol

The stickers look good Scott. I slapped mine on the drivers side rear glass, and they still look good all these months later :)

Just seeing them stickers makes me reminisce of being there.

The new pinion seal leaked, too. I changed it yesterday - I think it is sealing now...

That was a good trip to Colorado last year - I'm ready to go again, right now!

BTW, are you thinking about going to Uwharrie in July this year?

BTW, are you thinking about going to Uwharrie in July this year?

Wish I could afford 2 meets in the same month, but can't. :(
Smorr is in July also.

I even had to give up my trip to Moab this year. :(

Hopefully the economy will be turned around, and work will be plentiful, so I can make the trips I want to go to.

I just picked up a new spare tire. My previous one was a Dunlop 265-75-15 - and it was 15 years old! It was about the same height as my BFG 32s, but slightly narrower. I hated to toss a tire with less than 1000 miles on it, but being 15 years old, I was concerned about rot.

As you can see, my next set of tires will be a new tread pattern!

Attachments

• BFG MT.JPG
    BFG MT.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,154

FedEx dropped a box off today! These are new JBA headers that I had coated at Jet Hot.

They sure are purdy!

Attachments

• Headers.JPG
    Headers.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,200

Nice, there's a very good chance my next tires will be KM2s and i have outlaw wheels also, so i was wondering how they'd look. I'll probably get the white letters mounted out also, they look awesome!

...Now how the heck I'm I ever going to catch up to you with all this bling you are throwing on your Ranger??...:p:

Excuse me - it's not "bling" - it is essential equipment required for safe, efficient travel in the backcountry.

Just cause it looks purdy is irrelevant!!!!!!

Tbars - just wait for 4.3 under the hood!

...Well....Well....You just wait and see...:p:

...What did you add to the first post and how did your exhaust end up sounding?,,,Did you wind up with a nice deep sound?

...What did you add to the first post...

Quick disconnect front swaybar

...how did your exhaust end up sounding?,,,Did you wind up with a nice deep sound?

It sounds good at idle outside the truck, and drones a bit inside while driving. No headers, no cam - I guess it's to be expected. Yours sounds better.

This exhaust is due to be replaced - the muffler is rusting from the inside.

I should probably replace the cats (they have lots of miles on them!) and remove the exhaust pipe restriction just after the cats. I want a true 2 1/2" system with a single-side outlet.

I think I'm going with either JBA or Magnaflow - both are stainless steel systems, so they shouldn't rust.

...I thought you already installed those purdy JBA headers...:(

You are thinking of the '06...

Interesting Problem

I pulled off the left front hub today, as a previous inspection had revealed a light silver color in the wheel bearing grease - the typical color of ground metal in the grease. I thought I had a bad wheel bearing.

To my surprise, I found this: a worn, mangled thrust washer! I have never seen this before. Apparently, it jammed (lodged?) on the stub axle, and rubbed on the spindle. I had to use a Dremel to cut it off the stub axle.

The good news is none of the bearings were contaminated. While everything is apart, I will clean and re-grease everything, change all the seals, install new thrust washers (from Ford, I guess.)

Attachments

• thrust w 1.JPG
    thrust w 1.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 947
  • thrust w 2.JPG
    thrust w 2.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 950

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Were you missing the C-Clip?

...I've only seen that when missing a C-Clip or when the outer spindle nut came loose...

Back