Scott B's 93 Ranger XLT V8 | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Scott B's 93 Ranger XLT V8

I have not sealed mine. The o-rings I bought did not fit right - so it still oozes fluid. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

....How is the rest of the bumper build coming???..:popcorn:

We are continuing it on Friday. Hopefully, I will be painting it on Saturday!

Bumper Project Continues

Another day building the bumper - really good progress. Should be able to finish in one more work session (minus paint.)

First thing we did, was to put in the sleeve for the hinge.

Attachments

• Bumper 2 1.JPG
    Bumper 2 1.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 910
  • Bumper 2 2.JPG
    Bumper 2 2.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 900
  • Bumper 2 3.JPG
    Bumper 2 3.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 977
  • Bumper 2 4.JPG
    Bumper 2 4.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 934

Here it is on the truck - spindle (with collar) is under the left taillight.

Attachments

• Bumper 2 5.JPG
    Bumper 2 5.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,093

Next comes the swingout and tire hanger.

Attachments

• Bumper 2 6.JPG
    Bumper 2 6.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 943
  • Bumper 2 7.JPG
    Bumper 2 7.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 905

Angle braces and hub.

Attachments

• Bumper 2 9.JPG
    Bumper 2 9.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 939
  • Bumper 2 8.JPG
    Bumper 2 8.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 938

Latch assembly. I am using a draw-pull latch from McMaster-Carr (type 3.)

The latch will mount to the angled plate (with the 4 holes). The idea is to pull the swingout down and forward, into the corner created by the top of the bumper and the backstop. Hopefully, this will prohibit all up/down and fore/aft movement of the swingout while it is latched.

We ran out of time before we finish the latch assembly.

The plan is to finish this in 2 weeks - I can't wait!

Attachments

• Bumper 2 10.JPG
    Bumper 2 10.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 957

Wow, looks very nice! Love the latch setup, sounds like it will work out nice. No rattles and keep it in shape. The stop is another great idea.

Looking forward to seeing the progress on the bumper ends and paint.

Worked all day on the bumper today. All the major stuff is done!!!!!! Just a couple of minor things to do, then prep for paint and paint.

I'll try to get some pictures up this week.

Thanksgiving Camping

No bumper pictures yet. I'll get some as I work on it.

Ended up going camping in Thanksgiving in the Cherokee National Forest in Tennessee. The weather was perfect (rain didn't come in until midnight) and the area was almost completely deserted (11 of us, and only a couple of others.) Couldn't ask for anything better.

Attachments

• Thanksgiving 1.JPG
    Thanksgiving 1.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 839
  • Thanksgiving 2.JPG
    Thanksgiving 2.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 865

(cough) Powder coat (cough, cough)

I've thought about that, BUT -

I have several additions in mind for the bumper (that isn't even installed yet!) - I think the cost will add up, PCing the bumper multiple times.

Besides, paint is much easier to touch up when it gets scratched up.

I've thought about that, BUT -

I have several additions in mind for the bumper (that isn't even installed yet!) - I think the cost will add up, PCing the bumper multiple times.

Besides, paint is much easier to touch up when it gets scratched up.

That's how I feel about it. Carrying a can of spray paint is much easier for scratch repair. Looks good Scott!!! :D

That's how I feel about it. Carrying a can of spray paint is much easier for scratch repair. Looks good Scott!!! :D

I'm surprised Gregg advocates PC - I'd think he push for paint!

I'm surprised Gregg advocates PC - I'd think he push for paint!

No surprise here. PC will encapsulate the entire bumper and protect it from the elements better than Rattle can by 1000%. It takes a lot of abuse to damage the PC, (more than you think). I have my sliders PC and have abused the crap out of them with minimal scratches after many wheeling outings. The bumper will not even see 1/10 of the abuse as the sliders will.

Besides, a good PC job looks 10 better than any spray job would. You get a nice depth / build look on it. Conventional spray with 3 coats might net 3mm dry film, PC can get up to 10mm dry film, and it fills every open pore and lays even, continuously. Another bonus to PC is it will clean off with a garden hose and look new.

Trust me guys, I make a living painting, I have vast knowledge in most applications of substrates and materials. I know what works best for what application. I can't compete(conventional painting) with a quality PC on something like a steel bumper.

Just my O2, and PC is what I will use on my custom Bumpers.

Don't misunderstand - I like PC. The in-bed tires mounts in both of my trucks is PC, and my front tow hooks are as well.

But, PC does scratch and chip (front tow hook) - not that easily, but it does. The bottom of my stock bumper was one big scratch - it got dragged over a lot of rocks/dirt. True, the truck sits taller now, and my wheeling style has changed, but I'm concerned about the PC getting scratched. Once scratched, rust starts.

Doesn't primer/paint bond to the sub straight whereas PC only sits on top?

PC can be touched up with a mix of acetone and brushed on over any scratches. Using a heat gun will bond the new to the old.

Proper blasting, removing any contamination & Out gassing the steel prior to applying the coating helps in bonding to the steel. Prep is key to form a bond. Anything left on the surface will create a barrier between the surface & the coating causing a poor bond. These areas will "Lay" on the surface instead of bonding.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More Bumper Pictures

I took a couple of pictures today.

All that is left to do is drill and tap holes for the license plate and swing-out landing pad, and drill holes to mount the aluminum trip plate.

Here are the bumper pieces, the fixed piece with the trim plate, and a close-up of the Hi-Lift mount (which probably needs a little grinding/shaping work.)

Attachments

• Bumper C 1.JPG
    Bumper C 1.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 866
  • Bumper C 2.JPG
    Bumper C 2.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 883
  • Bumper C 3.JPG
    Bumper C 3.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 857

Back