Sean's '96 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sean's '96 XLT

My 5L V8 XLT, the day I brought here home, right after a wash:
9tNNiZkh.jpg

... Then noticed a broken taillight. /sigh
FSq866Vh.jpg

It's got the funky green interior, which at first I wasn't sure about. It's grown on me, though. Other than the torn armrest, the only issues with the interior were a smoke smell, and human slime.
0mcfkr3h.jpg

It didn't take long for me to paint the grill, as I was never a fan of chrome, and it wasn't in excellent shape anyway.
n2aECJph.jpg

I also took off the plastic bugshield thinger, and found a healthy colony of ick under it.

First real mod:
cPO1ldgh.jpg

6 D-Cell MagLite. One of the things I carried over from my old Sport.

The one surviving LED spot light from my Sport also got bolted on. Wired through a relay to come on with the reverse lights.
pL2JlY8h.jpg

The CD changer didn't work, so I tossed a Blaupunkt MP3 unit in.
Hx3IMjLh.jpg

And with a few more tasteful upgrades, here is how she currently sits.
GsRQq0Sh.jpg

Still a few things on the To-Do list, so...

Dude I like it, keep it up, I'm always in the mood for some upgrades:popcorn:

I've had a relatively simple mod in mind for a while now, and got off my duff this morning to do it.

I've had this LED spotlight hanging under my rear bumper for a while now. It's relay'd to come on w/ the reverse lights.
e82oLnbh.jpg

I'd decided a while ago I didn't really like it there, so... Out came the power tools!

Here's that moment when you think to yourself: "Am I really going to drill into a perfectly good panel?" That said, this hatch is not perfectly good, as it's got a whacking great big dent in the top of it. So, Drill baby drill!
7Ui8GvDh.jpg

EEP!
gUIdWPEh.jpg

A few layers of paint (done from the inside and outside) to (hopefully) stop any rusting.
qy19Xvkh.jpg

Result!
kwCt7QPh.jpg

NCttFuyh.jpg

yghBckBh.jpg

d7kxUegh.jpg

Anywhere the wiring goes through metal it's got a grommet. It's run alongside existing wiring, and ziptied, etc...

So... The factory remote entry on my Ex doesn't work, so...
ZldYkeDh.jpg

... That happened. :D

I'll be sure to do a full write-up later.

I also gave the old girl a bath.
VO6X7ofh.jpg

Back