and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Seat belt buckle wire disconnect and 51 air bag code

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by soccerman600, February 27, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. soccerman600

soccerman600 New Member

City, State:
      KC, KS
      Year and Model:
      2004 Explorer XLT
      I have a 2004 Ford Explorer XLT. My seat belt buckle monitor would not turn off. I read the forums on how to shut it off, but the sensor inside the buckle would not register the buckle and unbuckles. So....I also read that you could disconnect the wire leading out of the belt under the seat. I did this and the monitor finally stopped beeping. But....now the air bag light is on and giving a 51 code. How can I fix this new problem? Is this wire being disconnected a real problem or can I have the light turned off and still drive with confidence that the air bag will work properly? Thanks for helping.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BigRondo

BigRondo USMC 1371 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Worcester, MA
      Year and Model:
      2002 XLT V6 4x4
      Welcome to the forum!! :salute:

I'm not sure, but I believe that if the airbag light is on then the system will not operate as expected in the event of a crash. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

4. favila

favila New Member

City, State:
      Los Angeles
      Year and Model:
      2003 Explorer Sport
      Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm having the same problem right now and can't seem to find a fix.

5. ke5efr

ke5efr New Member

City, State:
      Myrtle Beach, SC
      Year and Model:
      2003 Ford Explorer XLT
      problems?

i have an 03 explorer and I was having the same code, but it was because of the buckle sensor being unplugged. the only way to make that go away is to replace the buckle, or plug it back in and find a way to deactivate the monitor.
      if you have an elmscan 327 (i think) then download FORscan software to scan all the sensors in the car.