Seat Repair/Swap Options | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seat Repair/Swap Options

slupul

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac XLT
Hey y'all:

Will post over in the explorer SUV forum as well. Hello! I'm new here. I'm fixing up my dads car for his birthday, wondering what the options are for his driver seat. It's a 2007 Sport Trac, tan cloth. The bolster on the right side (driver's right) has collapsed backwards, and I'm wondering if it's possible to repair it. I can attach pictures later, but it's pretty bad.

If not repairable, what I would love to know is what are my options for seat replacement? Are there SRS/Airbag concerns here? Can I swap an earlier Explorer seat? right now there are zero 06+ explorers at junk yards to pull a seats from. Any advice is helpful, cheers!

Just wanting to bump this thread! Any ideas at all?

Hard to say without pics. Side seat airbags were standard, so your best bet (without seeing pics) would be to have an automotive upholstery shop take a look at it.

An 05 or earlier Explorer seat, if it would even fit, would be different material, different sew pattern, likely different wiring harness, etc and would just be more trouble than its worth.

Possible that a Mountaineer seat (06+) would fit, but the vast majority were leather.

Your description of the bolster collapsing suggests that the metal frame of the seat has actually bent or broken, in which case your best (simplest) bet is to find a junker replacement. If there's nothing nearby, you might check ebay or call around to other regional yards that can ship parts. What about this?

Driver Front Seat Bucket Air Bag Cloth Electric Fits 06-08 EXPLORER 1114305 | eBay
Driver Front Seat Sport Trac Bucket Air Bag Cloth Fits 06-08 EXPLORER 824795 | eBay
DRIVER FRONT SEAT BUCKET AIR BAG CLOTH ELECTRIC 6 WAY FITS 06-08 EXPLORER 298329 | eBay

With more looking, you can probably find just the bottom portion of the seat if that's what's broken, which will be cheaper/easier to ship. Though then you'll deal with variations in seat wear and color and whatnot.

If it's not a structural problem, and it seems more like just the foam has shifted out of place, then a car upholstery shop can help with that.

Back