seats discolored | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

seats discolored

Light leather will get discolored over time from blue jeans.

I know people with Land Rovers that have the same problem.

I also suspect all dealers/manufacturer's know about it and don't say anything.

The light colored leather does look awesome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Light leather will get discolored over time from blue jeans.

I know people with Land Rovers that have the same problem.

I also suspect all dealers/manufacturer's know about it and don't say anything.

The light colored leather does look awesome.

We are talking a period of 3 days here. So basically in the morning my wife starts the Explorer and goes to work. So she has gotten in and out twice maybe adjusted herself in the seat during here 8 mile ride to her office. She will take a lunch so there is a couple more times in and out of vehicle. At the end of the day she heads home and another couple times in and out of the vehicle. So depending on the day 3 to 5 times. In three days the seats are turning blue from entering and exiting the vehicle 15 to 18 times a day.

Does anyone have good advice on how to handle the situation? Like I said I'm going through a bottle of leather cleaner in a little over a week. :eek:

3 days sounds crazy.

But I do know of it happening over a longer period.

The other thing is with all the clothing manufacturers who knows what kind of dyes they use.
Either way its a big issue with light colored leather and why I stopped considering it as an option.

I would suggest some kind of scotch guard, I'm pretty sure the accessory shops are aware of the issue and might have a product.

Good luck.

We are talking a period of 3 days here. So basically in the morning my wife starts the Explorer and goes to work. So she has gotten in and out twice maybe adjusted herself in the seat during here 8 mile ride to her office. She will take a lunch so there is a couple more times in and out of vehicle. At the end of the day she heads home and another couple times in and out of the vehicle. So depending on the day 3 to 5 times. In three days the seats are turning blue from entering and exiting the vehicle 15 to 18 times a day.

Does anyone have good advice on how to handle the situation? Like I said I'm going through a bottle of leather cleaner in a little over a week. :eek:
I guess the obvious answer is to not wear jeans, but that isn't practical. Perhaps it is the brand of jeans.
Like I mentioned, I have been wearing jeans in mine (Wrangler & Dakota, which hasn't been through the wash yet) and have never come across this with the seats (Light stone interior). It also isn't a very common issue and I'm sure that most of the members likely wear jeans as well.

Peter

I have the Platinum with the Ceramic color leather. I have noticed over the last several months that there is "transfer" on the seat back from my belt. Its on the area thats pleated and looks soiled. i have an apt with the dealer Sat for an OC/TR and will ask him about it then. The leather should be sealed so I am not sure why I would be getting the dye/color transfer from anything. Truck has 14K on it. Any Platinum +Ceramic owners out there with the same issue?

I have the Platinum with the Ceramic color leather. I have noticed over the last several months that there is "transfer" on the seat back from my belt. Its on the area thats pleated and looks soiled. i have an apt with the dealer Sat for an OC/TR and will ask him about it then. The leather should be sealed so I am not sure why I would be getting the dye/color transfer from anything. Truck has 14K on it. Any Platinum +Ceramic owners out there with the same issue?

Mods - Why move a post a post to one that has not been discussed since 2014! This question is specific to PLATINUM owners with Ceramic leather which is different to the rest of the fleet

When I was considering the Explorer Platinum, I was curious about the light leather, and the sales person recommended strongly against getting them, admitting that they tend to stain from clothing. Black leather is the best. White leather looks striking in person, especially with the ambient lighting. Let's just say I heeded their advice.

White leather is an option for the Guilty Remnant cult. They have a lot of money.

As I've mentioned in this thread, I had the light coloured seats in my 2011 Limited and despite wearing blue jeans almost exclusively, I never had the transfer issue and
Mods - Why move a post a post to one that has not been discussed since 2014! This question is specific to PLATINUM owners with Ceramic leather which is different to the rest of the fleet
Ceramic is just the colour like Ebony is as well. It doesn't matter if a thread has been dormant for a while since adding to it brings it back to the beginning for all to see.
The issue is with seat discoloration which is what you have.

Yep, same here, I wear Wrangler jeans and the seats slowly discolor. I just use spray-on leather cleaner every month or so and the seats clean up pretty good. The Ford dealer even gave us a couple of little single use Ford brand leather cleaner pouches, that stuff worked great.

It's not just leather, even the inside of my clothes dryer has a blue ring around the inside from jeans.

A lot of the problem "in my opinion" is the poor advice circulated by some jeans manufacturers and jeans snobs, that you're supposed to try not to wash them, to baby them as much as possible and I suspect they're only trying to cover their own a**es to make their ever thinner denim last longer. Some even tell you to only deodorize by misting vodka on them and freezing them to get rid of stink for months worth of wear instead of washing. Yeah, I'm going to do that (not).

New jeans need washed in hot water and strong detergent a minimum of two times before coming in contact with anything that's a lighter or different hue than they are. IF it's already light blue prewashed denim you might be able to get away with one washing but why chance it? Some say they will shrink. Yes, if you find they shrink too much then you needed a larger size. It happens.

If you're using one of those high efficiency washers that barely uses any water then gauge by the color of the hot wash ( - not rinse) water at the end of the cycle because you may then need at least 3 wash cycles.

As I've mentioned in this thread, I had the light coloured seats in my 2011 Limited and despite wearing blue jeans almost exclusively, I never had the transfer issue and

Ceramic is just the colour like Ebony is as well. It doesn't matter if a thread has been dormant for a while since adding to it brings it back to the beginning for all to see.
The issue is with seat discoloration which is what you have.

Yes Peter - Very well aware of that. However the Leather is also different to the std leather in a Limited or a Sport. That is why I asked for Platinum owners (such as yourself) to see if they have this issue, specifically Ceramic, which is the lighter color.

Whilst the thread is old, it is not Platinum specific and I do not see why Mods feel the need to use their opinion on whether it should be a new post or not. If I wanted to know what the Limited or sport folks had, I would have used the search function like you always point out (I did search and it was not applicable to my situation as this relates to a belt and not Jeans)

Yes Peter - Very well aware of that. However the Leather is also different to the std leather in a Limited or a Sport. That is why I asked for Platinum owners (such as yourself) to see if they have this issue, specifically Ceramic, which is the lighter color.

Whilst the thread is old, it is not Platinum specific and I do not see why Mods feel the need to use their opinion on whether it should be a new post or not. If I wanted to know what the Limited or sport folks had, I would have used the search function like you always point out (I did search and it was not applicable to my situation as this relates to a belt and not Jeans)

We have the issue as well on our 2017 Platinum with Ceramic leather.

dealer replaced the seat back cover on mine under warranty. I bought new fabric belts so as to not have the issue anymore. Recently my wife took over the Exp and I traded her F150 in for an 17 F250 with black leather - problem solved.......

Does any one with the Platinum know of any good sources for seat covers? I've been using a bottom cushion I found on Amazon, but it's driving me nuts. Keeps slipping off. I'd like to find a color as close as possible to the Ceramic color.

Does any one with the Platinum know of any good sources for seat covers? I've been using a bottom cushion I found on Amazon, but it's driving me nuts. Keeps slipping off. I'd like to find a color as close as possible to the Ceramic color.
Have you seen this thread? Any interest in a group buy for Katzkin leather seat skins? Whatever seat covers you get make sure they are the kind that won't interfere with the seat's side airbag deployment and allow for the heating and cooling to function properly. Here is another site a member mentioned in a post in another thread; 2016 Ford Explorer Custom Cloth Seat Covers – CARiD.com

Peter

Have you seen this thread? Any interest in a group buy for Katzkin leather seat skins? Whatever seat covers you get make sure they are the kind that won't interfere with the seat's side airbag deployment and allow for the heating and cooling to function properly. Here is another site a member mentioned in a post in another thread; 2016 Ford Explorer Custom Cloth Seat Covers – CARiD.com

Peter
Thanks! I searched for several key words, only really found this one! Thanks Peter!

Peter
I really like the Rixxu more details on - Rixxu® - Slimline Series Seat Covers thanks!!

Back