Secondary Transmission Filter Installed (Feedback) | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Secondary Transmission Filter Installed (Feedback)

Side note, this was taken during my little A4LD refresh project. By no means was this on the magnitude of Glacier's project..

Details here: Dead Link Removed Major details and pics on pg 6+ of the thread.

Want to say thanks again to Glacier. His help was invaluable. This project was a major success..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I finally put the trans filter remote setup in my rig. I let it sit behind the grill/bumper area. The hoses keep ot in place. I will be welding in a bracket to hold it when I am satisfied it worked for me.
I have about 100 miles on the filter and the rig is about 200,000 miles right now so I hope this helps keep her clean. I am using parker hydraulic filters with mine....because they are free and for hydraulic aplications such as these.
So far so good. I will post in a week or so unless something blows first.

Problem with install

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I figured this is "the" thread on installation of these filters. I'm pretty sure I've found the transmission lines going into the cooler properly:

http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/sundrop987/DSCF0012.JPG
http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/sundrop987/DSCF0013.JPG

The problem, however, is that the brass fitting that was supplied with the Summit Kit doesn't seem to fit into the radiator, as it is too small. I went to a parts store in an attempt to get the "next size up" and they provided me with an adapter that is too big. I know the cooler already has one fitting that the transmission line screws into, just curious if I would need to remove that fitting as well. Any help will be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Does your truck have any rubber hose in the transmission cooler lines, or are they all hard-plummed?

If I had a truck that didn't have any rubber hose in the system, I would just cut out a section of the hardline and double-clamp some hose onto each end. You should be fine.

V8BoatBuilder said:
If I had a truck that didn't have any rubber hose in the system, I would just cut out a section of the hardline and double-clamp some hose onto each end. You should be fine.

Same here.

Good luck ....

I appreciate the feedback. My system doesn't have any rubber hosing in it. Its straight from the transmission to the cooler and back to the transmission via hardline all the way through.

I guess my next question would be any recomendations on how to go about cutting the hardline?

Thank you!

Find a suitable location and then cut using a tubing cutter.

Good luck .....

BeeZeRCoX said:
I guess my next question would be any recomendations on how to go about cutting the hardline?

Thank you!

A tubing cutter like Al recommended, DO NOT use a hack saw, sawsall, or any type of saw that could leave chips in the line.

Excellent information guys. I''m going to try doing that, I'll get up early in the AM and head to ACE Hardware and pick up a tubing cutter and get to work.

Thanks for your feedback, you guys are life savers.

On a side note, in the pics I provied, does anyone know for certain that the top line going into the cooler is the line coming from the transmission? If I trace it back to the transmission, it is the bottom one coming out of the transmission. I believe this is what I've read. Thanks again.

BeeZeRCoX said:
Excellent information guys. I''m going to try doing that, I'll get up early in the AM and head to ACE Hardware and pick up a tubing cutter and get to work.

Thanks for your feedback, you guys are life savers.

On a side note, in the pics I provied, does anyone know for certain that the top line going into the cooler is the line coming from the transmission? If I trace it back to the transmission, it is the bottom one coming out of the transmission. I believe this is what I've read. Thanks again.

When in doubt about hoses, I simply disconnect and run the truck for a few sexonds to see which is which. Make sure you provide a way to capture the expelled fluis.

Good luck ....

I believe that the upper line is the feed, and the lower line is the return to the transmission. I would tap into the retun line, so your filter/cooler circuit will be after the radiator cooler.

Good call on the tubing cutter guys.

So, if I tapped the line after the radiator cooler (the return line) I would have hosing going from the radiator to the "in" part on my filter and then have the "out" hose connecting to the transmission line?

Thanks for all your help :)

You simply put the filter in the place you curt the line.

Good luck .....

Ok, I think this should be my last question.

If the filter gets warm when its running, that means its hooked up properly, right?

:)

BeeZeRCoX said:
So, if I tapped the line after the radiator cooler (the return line) I would have hosing going from the radiator to the "in" part on my filter and then have the "out" hose connecting to the transmission line?

Thanks for all your help :)

Yep...that's the way to do it if you want to install the filter after the fluid leaves the radiator. Other's have opted to install the filter when the fluid is at it's highest temp (before it enters the radiator) but I don't think it makes all that much difference.

If you're having questions about the flow you may want to look at this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129514

Lee

BeeZer, this may be too late, but there's a company called "CP Auto Products" that makes a Ford radiator adapter kit. It consists of a male barb fitting that screws into the radiator, and a female barb fitting that screws into the trans supply line. After installing the barb fittings, you simply attach the hose to them and run it to the filter housing. This kit makes for a clean installation, IF you can find it.....most auto stores carry them for installing fluid coolers.

Yes, the lower line coming out of the trans is the pump output.

Actually, its not too late. I'm going to check that out, and see what I can find. Thanks for all the input, you guys are tremendous!
Thanks,
Brandon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just got mine, (looks the same as Hank's) i will post a pic later.

And now for my ?, I should use teflon tape for the threads on the filter in/out adaptors???

Back