Secondary Transmission Filter Installed (Feedback) | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Secondary Transmission Filter Installed (Feedback)

so this is it huh?

sum-g4980.jpg

the next question would be whats the best filter for this aplication? size donst matter as i will find the right place to fit it ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FexplorerV8 said:
the next question would be whats the best filter for this aplication? size donst matter as i will find the right place to fit it ;)

Use a top quality filter such as Mobil 1 or Amsoil.

I have a Motorcraft filter on mine right now.

Yeah...that's the one i used. Just an FYI, but there is another slightly more expensive model that comes with an inlet for a tranny temp gauge sending unit sensor in case you're looking to add a temp gauge at the same time.

As far as the filter, the instructions that come with kit say that it is a standard 3/4-16 thread and that many filters will fit. They list some example manufactures and filter #'s. I myself prefer to use the Purolator PureOne model PL 30001. It's a pretty good quality filter and is a dark bluish purple color which doesn't draw much attention since I have it mounted in the wheel well where a white filter (like Motorcraft FL1A) is very noticeable.

Lee

If you want just remote filter bracket so you can get your own lines and filter. Go to Summitracing.com type PRM-5021 in the search. The backet has the third hole for a temp sender if you want to install a temp gauge kit that you like. And not like those ugle ones that some remote filter kits come with.

cheaper that way since i had to buy new hose to but it where i wanted it anyways

No offense, but as the originator of this thread, let me say. "Holy Crap" that thing is 175 bucks!! That had better come with an "auto-suck" feature for that price.. :eek:

I did mine for about 40.00...

Don't care how good they claim it is, it is all in the filter.... I've been running the cheep a$$ Advanced Auto house brand and my pan has been spotless every time I have dropped it and during the valve body and tc replacement/rework.

Save the 135.00 and put it to something more useful..

The only advantage I see of that kit is the stainless lines. But my rubber lines have held up fine. I can buy alot of rubber hose for that price!! :eek:

exgmman said:

scores some nice *bling, bling* points. Looks WAY cool and all, but My Perma-Cool works just fine and unless you lay on your back under the front end you dont even know it was there. ( no need to look cool if ya cant see it )

Thanks for the link though. The hoses are the neat part.

That Dieselsite link brings up another question: They're using a pressure gauge in the filter mount instead of a temperature gauge. Which would be more beneficial, a pressure gauge or temp gauge?

I got my kit along with a b&m supercooler when i ordered all my other goodies a week or two ago. I spent forever trying to find a suitable mounting spot with no luck. As soon as this net cafe closes im gonna go look around my bumper for a moutning spot. Only thing im worried about is damaging it if i get in a wreck or something hits my bumper.

Hank said:
No offense, but as the originator of this thread, let me say. "Holy Crap" that thing is 175 bucks!! That had better come with an "auto-suck" feature for that price.. :eek:

I did mine for about 40.00...

Don't care how good they claim it is, it is all in the filter.... I've been running the cheep a$$ Advanced Auto house brand and my pan has been spotless every time I have dropped it and during the valve body and tc replacement/rework.

Save the 135.00 and put it to something more useful..

Actually, my installation uses the same filter and filter head as the dieselsite.
The only difference is that I used rubber lines instead of the braided stainless lines.

My total cost was $43 Canadian. I bought ALL the parts separately and locally.

There is nothing wrong with the other kit, it just would have costed me more to order the Perma Cool kit, with shipping and exchange.

I just posted the dieselsite link for some additional information....

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
That Dieselsite link brings up another question: They're using a pressure gauge in the filter mount instead of a temperature gauge. Which would be more beneficial, a pressure gauge or temp gauge?

The temp guage would be more beneficial. I put the pressure guage on mine ($9.00 locally) already, and I'm going to be adding a temp sender into the filter head as soon as my guage pod arrives.

My filter head came with 2 threaded ports, so I can have both guages.

The press. guage serves as an indicator to when to replace the filter. If you just replaced that filter every 25,000 miles and didn't worry about the guage, that would work also.

If I could only have one guage, it would definitely be trans temp...

The temp guage would be more beneficial. I put the pressure guage on mine ($9.00 locally) already, and I'm going to be adding a temp sender into the filter head as soon as my guage pod arrives.
Interesting. I'd agree that you can't have too many gauges.... :cool: So what kind of pressures do you see on the gauge, both at idle and highway speeds?

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
Interesting. I'd agree that you can't have too many gauges.... :cool: So what kind of pressures do you see on the gauge, both at idle and highway speeds?

Also, what are your temp readings under various conditions?

Thanks ...

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
So what kind of pressures do you see on the gauge, both at idle and highway speeds?

Cold idle ~45 psi
Hot idle ~ 20 psi

Because the guage is mounted right on the filter head, I can't get highway readings w/o risking severe personal injury.... :D

:ca:

aldive said:
Also, what are your temp readings under various conditions?

Thanks ...

.....Still waiting on guage pod.
With a little luck, I might have it installed by the end of next weekend. :thumbsup:

Will update you guys once I get the guage installed.

:ca:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Temp. guage is installed. I drove the truck for 100 kms. at 100 kp/h. My highest reading for that trip was 150 deg. F. Outside temp was ~45 F. No load on truck.

2000 F-150 4X4, 4.6, Reg. cab.

Back