Secondary Transmission Filter Installed (Feedback) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Secondary Transmission Filter Installed (Feedback)

Any Advice before I install the Filter??

I got the filter in the mail yesterday and now I am going to the garage to tackle the job. I like to think that I am mechanically enclined though I seem to do things the hard way constantly. So if there is any advice to give I would greatly appreciate it!!
\
Wish me luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Biggest thing is to make sure you have the lines going the right way. Pressure to IN, return to OUT.

Some filters have a backflow/check valve. If you hook it up backwards you stop the fluid flow thus trashing your transmission....

Hey guys! PAW lists the Hayden kit for 19.95.No filter included,No. HAY-2106. uses fraph8a filter. pawengineparts.com

Hank, do you have any difficulties mounting the filter as you did? My 99 is giving me fits finding a suitable mount location.

Hank and Gimp, how did you connect the supplied rubber tubing to the existing tubing?

Thanks,,,,

Ditto..

hg

Hank, Gimp, others.... HELP ( once again )

How do I get to the extra cooling radiator to remove and replace the rubber hoses? Mine is a 00.

Thanks....

Mine is a 91 so I don't know if this will help but I have a row of screws/pop-ins on top of the grill when you open the hood. Remove the screws and pull the grill forward.

Good luck
hg

Hank, another mounting question for you.

I did a mock install of the filter like you did ( I think ) and its very visible under the fender well. I am concerned with some jerk messing with it in that location.

Ideas and thoughts????????

Shoot 'em...

So far I have not been too concerned. Trucks have visible filters all the time. (fuel, hydrallic [sp], etc...) Folks don't seem to mess with them.

I figure the three quarts of red tranny fluid on the ground would catch my attention.

Gimp put his behind the grill, that is another option but has the drawback of being a little more work to get to..

One other thought to keep it less visible is to buy the shorter height filter and give it a quick spray with some black krylon...

Go touch the filter after driving a few miles... That is a deterance in itself..

Lastly the way I plummed mine, should something happen to the filter, all I have to do is pop the inlet hose off and put it on the return line going back to the trans..

Hope this helps.

hg

Some Info that may help

I installed mine a few weeks ago. I have a 95 and I tried to ged the darn grille off and couldn't, as I would have liked to utilized all the open space in there.
(removing all the visible screws and tuggin' a bit and I figured it would really suck to tear it apart, so I put the screws back on.)

I ended up mounting mine just fore of the drivers side frone wheel. Is is essentially mounted to the body just under the horn (opposing side). It is pointing about 30 degrees out (drivers side) from strait back.

It is about 3" in front of the tire and just behind the bumper. It took a bit of drilling and I used all the parts that they sent me to mount it (3screws).

One thing that I noticed after a bit of driving and flexing the suspension was that there was a tiny bit of tire rub on the filter. About the size of a quarter. So I went and purchased a Stubby Buddy
(Fram, I know they suck so I have a Mobil 1 (M1-204 or M1-301) whichever is short)to put on after I do the drain and fluid change) which moved it back enough to prevent any rubbing.

The installation took a while as I am slow under the hood to prevent any dumb ass mistakes. And getting the fluid level right was a bit of a chore (removing and draining the filter a few times to prevent overfill)

I will try to post some pics soon. Later and good luck in the new year:p

Installed mine today, well almost. I have the filter housing mounted and the lines identified; all I need to do is hook up the lines ( this will have to wait till tomorrow - the damn boat is calling me ).

What do you guys think of filters? I know Hank is a non-synth kinda guy and I would never fault him; I am a synthetic to the max kinda guy. I am wondering if I should go with a Mobile 1 filter; I do use Mobile 1 ATF.

I plan to change the filter after about 500 miles then add another.

Thoughts???????????????

Hi Al,

I use the Purloator Pure-One filters on everything.

Actually I am both a syn and non-syn guy. I use syn in my boat, generator, pressure washer, go-kart, lawn mower. Anything that takes high long loads and heavy abuse. Boat gets changed every 50 hrs (manu says 100) and small engines get it annually.

I just don't use it in my cars as I drive so many miles and change it so frequently. I am not one of those oil testing guys, 3000 miles it gets changed, don't care. (don't even want to start one of the oil test arguements though.) Yes is works, no I do not want to do it... Nuff said...

Best regards.
hg

Note I even replace the Pure-One on the tranny filter every 3000. Don't need to, I just do.. Always fresh fluid and a clean filter on the system..

Filter/fluid cheap, tranny expensive.. But again, I use non syn fluid.. Oh well..

Well, its in and working like a champ.

Afain, guys, thanks for all your help.

Glad to hear Al,

Keep us posted on how it goes and what you find should you cut open the filter at the first change.

hg

Hank, please don't post any more neat "trick things" you do; cause I want to do it too :)

Thanks

Look for the old post "Fake Oil Pressure Guage"

:)

Have fun!!

Originally posted by Hank
There was a noticble improvement in shifting and trans performance within 75 miles. Shifting is smooth but very quick, no more slushing into gear

Hank, I noticed exactly the same results, wow.

What do attribute the improvements to?

Thanks....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Couple of things....

You probably added 2-3 fresh quarts of fluid to the system. Unless you did a service at the same time which would give you more fresh fluid.

Secondly any junk floating around/in/through your tranny is now trapped in the filter. Clean fluid is in the system.. It is easier to drink water than it is to drink mud...

If the results are really that dramatic you probably want to consider changing the first filter within the 500-1000 mile range. Cheap insurance.

Also remember that parts and fluids wear out over time. You really do not notice the loss in performance or feel. However, when you replace them you get instant noticable results. Like the reactions people get when they replace their plugged up old air filters with a K&N... The performance is not better, it is just back to where it was...

Double check your clamps after a few hundred miles.

All the best.
hg

Back