Secondary Transmission Filter Installed (Feedback) | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Secondary Transmission Filter Installed (Feedback)

Here's mine installed

This is how it's mounted. I think i will be able to change it without taking anything apart.
2063841_76_full.jpg

this is what you see of the tranny filter once the bumper is back on
2063841_77_full.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aldive said:
Just curious, why did you mount it at an angle?

I wanted it as vertical as possible because I thought it would be less messy to change. Because of the metal lip on the bumper and the location it seemed like mounting it at an angle was the closest I could get it to the way I wanted it.

kert0307 said:
I wanted it as vertical as possible because I thought it would be less messy to change. Because of the metal lip on the bumper and the location it seemed like mounting it at an angle was the closest I could get it to the way I wanted it.

I see; mine is not mounte to the bumper and is verticle.

Attachments

• DSC00671.jpg
    DSC00671.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,590
  • DSC00673.jpg
    DSC00673.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,593

Wow, that's a lot of coolers Al. :thumbsup: What kind of ATF temps does it run?

By the way, where did you get the wrap around cooler on the oil filter?

aldive said:
I see; mine is not mounte to the bumper and is verticle.

Ya, I like the way yours is mounted, but I didn't have any metal laying around here to do it that way (I'm a college student and did it in the parking lot), so it ended up be'n mounted to the bumper. I'm not worried, unless i get in a fender bender....

aldive said:
The ATF runs about 125-135 F on the highway.

where in the flow if things is that trans temp sender? Does it go from the trans to the cooler to the filter with the sender in the filte housing?

I ask because I can see 130f pan temps even before I start the truck here in southern AZ (in summer of course)

~Mark

Thanks for the link; those Cool Collars do indeed appear to work, especially after reading about Al's real world testing.

aldive said:
The ATF runs about 125-135 F on the highway.

Its called a Cool Collar. Take a look at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125508&highlight=cool+collar/

I have been inspired by this thread and installed a temp gage for my transmission. With mine being a different transmission, I would assume that I should expect different readings. But the temperatures are so low, I don't know if I should be worried or not. My transmission runs about 100F on the highway with only the factory cooler. The max I have seen so far is 160 when sitting in traffic on a relatively hot day. I'm guessing I don't need an additional cooler?

A picture of my guage install- I know its dirty in there, but without the bright flash, it cant be seen. :)
mirrors_and_tires_003_Medium_.jpg

I forgot to mention my method:

I cut the line leading to the cooler and installed a brass T with hose barbs on two ends and the sending unit in the side fitting. I ran a ground wire to the T and ran a large wire back to the gauge. I verified the temperatures at the cooler using a HVAC thermometer. My readings from the installed gauge are correct. The power was tapped at the fuse box and illumination was tapped from the radio connections.

mountaineergree said:
I have been inspired by this thread and installed a temp gage for my transmission. With mine being a different transmission, I would assume that I should expect different readings. But the temperatures are so low, I don't know if I should be worried or not. My transmission runs about 100F on the highway with only the factory cooler. The max I have seen so far is 160 when sitting in traffic on a relatively hot day. I'm guessing I don't need an additional cooler?
QUOTE]

How hot is are those days when you hit 160 and where is the sender?

I've been hitting 160F in the pan on our 85-90F days (it hasn't gotten hot yet this year)..

My trans temps seems to be averaging about 70F above ambient temp on the freeway, and 80F above ambient temp in town.

If you read the temp right before the cooler, you will see the hottest temp outside of the transmission (right after the torque converter heats it up).. Some people like to know how hot the fluid is getting.. Others like to know what temp is going through the transmission (pan temp).. The Temp going to cooler can get much higher than pan temp when your driving through town and the converter is not locked up)..

~Mark

Maniak said:
where in the flow if things is that trans temp sender? Does it go from the trans to the cooler to the filter with the sender in the filte housing?

I ask because I can see 130f pan temps even before I start the truck here in southern AZ (in summer of course)

~Mark

Mark, my tranny temp sensor is located after the in radiator cooler and before the factory aux tranny cooler and my B & M cooler.

If you just want to put something small in, you could use an inline cartridge filter like this one:
trnsfltr.jpg

This could also be used for power steering as well. They aren't as easy to replace, since you would have to open the clamps. Some of these have a magnet inside of them, which the spin on filters don't have. They do make magnetic covers for the spin on filters.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BrooklynBay said:
If you just want to put something small in, you could use an inline cartridge filter like this one:
trnsfltr.jpg

This could also be used for power steering as well. They aren't as easy to replace, since you would have to open the clamps. Some of these have a magnet inside of them, which the spin on filters don't have. They do make magnetic covers for the spin on filters.

Hey, just fyi on this. I tried a small cartrige filter on my PS pump and after about two weeks it clogged up and exploded all over the engine compartment. Think there are some details on this very early in the thread.

Never tried it again.

Back