• Register Today It's free!

Secret "X" Uncovered!

2many

Reaction score
City, State
Somerset County, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT AWD SOHC
When walking behind my '99 Explorer tonight I noticed a distinct "X" on the snow covered ground behind the truck. It was about 18" high and 2' from the rear bumper. Puzzled, I first covered one tail light with my hand, then the other. Sure enough, each diagonal of the "X" is cast separately from each tail light. Go out and check for yourself if you doubt me.

I wonder if some Ford engineer planned this one five years ago... ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yup! :p All '98-'01s do it.

Ha ha ha, I guess I shouldn't tell you that we've had it since new and never noticed before. :eek:

BTW, I have the 4.0 SOHC and average 16 MPG.

he has a 5.0 though

Weird....

Thats pretty cool. I think theres another thread on it somewhere around here.

So the tail-lights cast an "X" on the ground? I'll definately have to check it out. The 18" high part is kind of confusing though.

Meaning the "X" letter is 18" tall.

I've noticed it before. Someone told me that some of the Explorers came with back up sensors if you get to close to something and that was part of it. I've got no clue though.

Nah, the backup alarm uses a bunch of little sensors mounted in holes in the rear bumper. And damn Todd, get a tune up on the 5.0. I beat the piss out of mine, and I still get at least 15 on winter blend. :)

:thumbsup: Hmmmmm! Will have to check it out!

CLEAR!!!

Is this true? I have a 98 with one of my tail lights from a 99 sport. Has anyone else tried this? Omg, this will be so cool if it's true.

bump?

(whats bump mean anyways? is it just something to say to make the thread go back to the new threads list or something? everyone always says it when they get no reply..) im such an idiot..

bump?

(whats bump mean anyways? is it just something to say to make the thread go back to the new threads list or something? everyone always says it when they get no reply..) im such an idiot..

Correct, just getting it to the top so it is seen again. Another one people use sometimes is TTT (To the Top)

Any pics of the X?

damn you, you got me all excited..... i cant check cuz there's light posts everywhere around here

can't you check? this is really driving me nuts, if this is true...... omg that's so freakin awesome..

bump

Conspiracy theory?

Looks like whoever said this, wasn't ****tin...

IMG_1921-resize.jpg

Subliminal message, or bizarre coincidence? Well, that's your call.
I think I may have seen something similar by other cars, but I don't know... I usually don't stand behind the car when I'm driving. :p:

That's Awesome! omg. Can we get some more pics from other members? (i was kinda expecting more of a defined X, but who cares now... it's there..) why is one line bigger?

is that just the tail lights or break lights?

That's Awesome! omg. Can we get some more pics from other members? (i was kinda expecting more of a defined X, but who cares now... it's there..) why is one line bigger?

It could be a newer bulb than the other side, or it may have to do with the surface of the driveway not being level and I'm parking at an angle on it, IDK.

Those are the brake lights. It does it with the tails, too, but it (of course) isn't as bright and my camera couldn't catch it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i took a picture, here is what the X is

attachment12.jpg

Back