Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Sector9's 91 explorer

Discussion in 'Offroad Projects' started by sector9, November 5, 2014.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. turboexplorer

turboexplorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Eagle Mountain, UT
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98' XLT 5.0L 4X4
      Sliders are started! :) 50" mounted. Pod lights mounted. Center console underway. Post some pictures!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. sector9

sector9 Active Member

City, State:
      St. George UT
      '91 xlt
      Its been a while since i posted. I got the center console put in, my 50" and pod lights mounted to the roof rack and the sliders are on. The first pictures are where i had my switch's mounted before, I used a factory fuse box behind it for all the wiring.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

Last edited: August 18, 2015
    4. sector9

sector9 Active Member

City, State:
      St. George UT
      '91 xlt
      I changed styles with the new one i wanted more room to wire and a new place for cup holders too. The factory cup holders suck! I found these day star switch holders on amazon the work really well and make it look a lot cleaner. I got cup holders out of and the little mat out of a F-150. I made it so that the middle would come off so i could get to the all the wiring. I doubled up the MDF on the lid to help it not want to slide around and i was able to make the mat recessed in. I don't have any pictures of how i covered it i dropped my phone 2 days after Moab and lost all those pictures and all of the ones i took in Moab, I will have to get the ones [MENTION=88579]turboexplorer[/MENTION] has. The color for the vinyl i used was a little off but was the closest i could find. I will most likely recover it later on as I don't like how some of the corners turned out. But not to bad for the first time trying to cover such an odd shape. I had my wife sew up the edges by the switch's i thought that part turned out really well.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

5. sector9

sector9 Active Member

City, State:
      St. George UT
      '91 xlt
      I forgot here is a picture of how the 50" and pods are mounted. Its hard to see the pods but i have 2 facing out each side of the truck. I will get better pictures later. I really like how the sliders turned out very similar to how [MENTION=88579]turboexplorer[/MENTION] has his.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

6. sector9

sector9 Active Member

City, State:
      St. George UT
      '91 xlt
      Has anybody else had this issue with James Duff coils? I like the ride they give but i have had them on less than a year and they have sagged at least 2-3". I called them and they said they haven't heard of this before, and tried to blame it on me doing the SOA in the rear that made it stink bug and put more weight on the coils. it is pretty much un-drivable how it sits. I can feel the tires wearing away. I think that I'm going to through the 2" spacers back in the front for a quick fix and then decide if i'm going to do new coils or coil overs.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

7. BKennedy

BKennedy Elite Loser Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      I really like the center console. I have been thinking of redoing mine, again.

The SOA causing the front springs to wear out prematurely is far fetched. Maybe they just got a bad batch, it happens. I would go with the spacers until you decide what direction you want to take.

8. turboexplorer

City, State:
      Eagle Mountain, UT
      98' XLT 5.0L 4X4
      Agreed. ^ Lets just jump straight to coilovers though :)

9. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      100% agree with this.

10. sector9

sector9 Active Member

City, State:
      St. George UT
      '91 xlt
      It has been a while since i have posted. I have been a bit busy. Finally got out of our small apartment into a house. Finally have a garage again! I got the spacers put in looks a ton better. The hardest part was getting it aligned again. It had a super bad wobble over 50 mph. I had to buy some new alignment eccentric's to get it to fully align with no wobble or pull. The biggest problem i have is i seem to have bump steer now. I think it has to with my steering linkage not being as close to flat as it should be. But is way better that wearing tires away!
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

11. sector9

sector9 Active Member

City, State:
      St. George UT
      '91 xlt
      Here is a couple of picture of a run up American fork Canyon with [MENTION=88579]turboexplorer[/MENTION]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    12. turboexplorer

City, State:
      Eagle Mountain, UT
      98' XLT 5.0L 4X4
      Well went out snow wheeling with [MENTION=137709]sector9[/MENTION] last weekend and thought I would throw up some pictures in his thread of his rig. It was a blast and we drove about 60 miles west of ours houses for a nice drive out with the families.

20160124_131842.jpg

20160124_132025.jpg

20160124_140918.jpg

20160124_141138.jpg

20160124_141633.jpg

20160124_141908.jpg

13. turboexplorer

City, State:
      Eagle Mountain, UT
      98' XLT 5.0L 4X4
      IMG_20160124_132052.jpg

IMG_20160124_135832.jpg

IMG_20160124_141210.jpg

IMG_20160124_141259_1.jpg

IMG_20160124_143330.jpg

IMG_20160124_143401.jpg

14. mr cribb

mr cribb US Army Retired Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Harviell, MO
      94 Z71,
      Where can I find the diamond clear turn signals? I have googled and find nothing.

15. turboexplorer

City, State:
      Eagle Mountain, UT
      98' XLT 5.0L 4X4
      [MENTION=137709]sector9[/MENTION] Few pictures from a few weeks ago.

20160409_142721.jpg

20160409_143146.jpg

20160409_143158.jpg

20160409_143203.jpg

16. sector9

sector9 Active Member

City, State:
      St. George UT
      '91 xlt
      Wow, Cant believe it has been a year since my last post! I thought i posted pictures of what happened to my B-pillar when i hit the Rock in Turbo's post. Basically i hit the rock and it separated the welds on the B-pillar so there was roughly a 2-3" gap at the top of the doors. I have never seen a B-Pillar separate like that. It wasn't the Softest hit but cant say it was hard enough to cause that. You can see the doors are separated in picture #3 in the above post. So we had to get creative and we pulled my explorer into the garage side way's, then used Turbo's Winch to pull the puller back together from the opposite side. Ran the cable through the right side doors. After it was pulled back re-welded the pillar back together. Turbo probably has some pictures he could add.

• Like Like x 1
    17. alfilrey

alfilrey New Member

City, State:
      San Luis Sonora
      1992 Ford Explorer
      I miss my Explorer, I'm currently driving an F150, but I want an Explorer again.

18. sector9

sector9 Active Member

City, State:
      St. George UT
      '91 xlt
      I have never been able to fix the Sagging spring issue. I have still been driving it because i cant just let it sit. It has been aligned 2-3 times in the last year with poor results. The springs have sagged enough that it is back to where it was before i added the Spacers. So After getting sick of wearing away tires, and driving horrible. I Broke down and bought some coil overs and bumps! They are 12" Fox 2.0's and 3" Fox 2.0 Bumps! Getting the rest of it together but will be doing the project relatively soon! Super Excited I will have to work on the rear end so that it can keep up with the front. But we will save that for later!
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    19. WormsExplorer

WormsExplorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, co
      97 Explorer 5.0
      I have to say I really like your Center Console. Giving me Idea's for mine. :)

20. Kirby N.

Kirby N. Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1991 Ranger
      Looks good buddy. Hate to say it, but you need to put a solid front end in that thing already. I am sure its obvious how much better your brothers works with a solid axle. All the work and money you invest in coil overs and such is going to be a waste when you finally put a solid axle in it. I hate to be this guy, but I do speak from experience. I had a nice duff lift that I took off and sold for pennies on the dollar when I put a solid axle in. It will drive better, be stronger and work a lot better off road. Besides, your bro has it really dialed in with his truck.

21. sector9

sector9 Active Member

City, State:
      St. George UT
      '91 xlt
      I don't see it as a waste, just building it in stages. Doing the Coil overs now will only make going to a solid axle in the future cheaper. I will have shock hoops done and the coil overs. I already have the Duff Radius arms, and drop brackets, Gears, etc in to the front end. so I'm not out any more there, and should only need shock tabs and limit strap mount on the axle side that i would lose if and or when I go solid. I know in the end it may have been cheaper to jump straight to solid, When i first built it it was my daily and i didn't have any place or time to build it. The Duff lift was supposed to last for longer than 2 years but I cant say that i would spend that much on a lift from them again. Brackets are all fine but they wont stand behind the worthless springs they put in this kit. They Blamed it on me doing a Spring over in the rear causing the sagging!:banghead: Basically the goal from this portion is to get it Drive-able so i can use it again with out shredding tires!

22. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      I guess you can cut the shock hoops off and move them forward if you need to when and if you decide to go solid. It seems to me the only thing you don't like about your rig right now is the spring sag, so going coil overs will take care of that and improve the ride.

While you are under there, reinforce the cross member where the beam drop brackets mount. Mine cracked, and I saw several others that did the same.

I don't remember; do you have the stock beams? If so, you are limited in travel before things start binding.

23. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      This seems to be a common driver position for us Explorer drivers. Looking out the window to see if that left-rear door is going to make contact.

24. Kirby N.

Kirby N. Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1991 Ranger
      I understand. You are pretty committed to the ttb at this point anyway. I did it twice. On my exploder I did the duff 3.5" be coil lift first. Next phase I added spacers and a spring over and bigger tires. Next phase I added a locker and gears in the front. Then sold it all and went with a solid axle. This had a few configuration changes too.

Then I sold my exploder and got to build a ranger. This time I was very careful to keep the end in mind. I have had a lot less redos on costs and time and I am way happier with it compared to the phased build of my explorer.

Maybe I am too late. Perhaps my advice and experience would have been more useful to you a few years ago. But- to be honest- no one could talk me into a solid axle on the explorer until I figured it out myself. You probably wouldnt have listened a few years ago. I had dudes telling me to swap it and by the time I realized they were right, I was deep into my ttb- close to where you are.

So here's to wheeling and wrenching and learning!

25. turboexplorer

City, State:
      Eagle Mountain, UT
      98' XLT 5.0L 4X4
      We got @sector9 s explorer driving again last weekend. Its been a bit of a long process with doing it only a bit at a time. After kids go to bed and when we could get together to get some work done. It turned out great and very happy with it. It cycles at 17 inches of travel and is bumped and strapped a bit less than that roughly 15 1/2" if usable wheel travel. It can also full steer left and right at full bump without firewall changes.

Changing spring rates this weekend, the TTB requires a lot more spring rate than the solid axle due to the geometry being a class 2 lever I believe. Currently have a 250 upper and a 300 lower. We have to have it 2 1/2" of preload just to get it near ride height (still 1" to 1 1/2" low) So will be swapping springs for 300 upper and 350 lower. This will change his spring rate from 136.3lb per inch to 161.5lb per inch. This should achieve ride height at roughly 1/2-3/4" preload which should be perfect.

Also need to destroke the bumps from 3" to a 2" stroke to avoid bumping them around town and after all that will need to be revalved but will look at needs after we do a few shake down runs and things. The rear already couldn't keep up with the front so this will make it even worse so next on the list will be doing the rear. Even a nice spring and good shock would make a world of difference so will see when that comes.

20180106_132145.jpg

20180106_155756.jpg

20180111_195705.jpg

20180111_195718.jpg

20180112_211025.jpg

20180112_211033.jpg

20180112_222530.jpg

20180112_222536.jpg

20180112_222549.jpg

20180112_222621.jpg

20180112_225855.jpg

20180112_225912.jpg