• Register Today It's free!

Sequenctial gearbox

road_scrapper

Reaction score
City, State
Corona
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford sport trac xlt 05
I’ve had my 05 sport trac for a while and I’ve done many car mods to it. (New suspension, new exhaust, rear locking diff, etc). My question is does anyone know if I can change out my automatic trans to a sequential? For those that don’t know what this is, it’s a type of manual gearbox but without a clutch petal and instead of the H pattern for the shift knob it’s restricted to up and down for shifting the gears. So basically you’re bang shifting through the gears

I’ve had my 05 sport trac for a while and I’ve done many car mods to it. (New suspension, new exhaust, rear locking diff, etc). My question is does anyone know if I can change out my automatic trans to a sequential? For those that don’t know what this is, it’s a type of manual gearbox but without a clutch petal and instead of the H pattern for the shift knob it’s restricted to up and down for shifting the gears. So basically you’re bang shifting through the gears
That sounds awesome but I've never remotely heard of anyone doing that in these trucks, I would be very interested to see it done though!

Welcome. If you find the right transmission that works for the same engine bolt pattern(4.6 or 4.0 bell housing), then it's possible. The PCM would require a custom program to delete the trans function, and you'd need floor shift parts to swap in. Is the 05 Sport Trac the 1st gen body? If so, the 2nd gen Explorers came with manual transmissions(the pedals, column and floor shifter parts would bolt right in). You'd be modifying the shifter for the different trans, but the rest would be little trouble.

Back