Seriously getting ready for an Expedition.. | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seriously getting ready for an Expedition..

..You do realize, there will be another Explorer on this trip that that mat will fit in just perfect..That was actually going to be one of my summer projects..:hammer:

..We do need a picture of your branding iron though..:popcorn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..You do realize, there will be another Explorer on this trip that that mat will fit in just perfect..That was actually going to be one of my summer projects..:hammer:

..We do need a picture of your branding iron though..:popcorn:

Yeah, yeah, I know. A "Brian1" brand wouldnt have looked as "expeditiony" so I had to settle for just Explorer :D

I knew I should have taken a picture of my reverse branding setup while I was doing it. When I cut my battery tray I made a sample of the text first to make sure it would cut right. So I took that test piece, the exact lettering from my battery tray (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=66577&stc=1&d=1322684117), lined all 4 sides underneath the template with double layered aluminum tape to protect the surrounding wood and then traced the letters with a small propane torch. After it was done I just gave the wood a little scrape to get rid of the tape goo and then a very light sand. Sealed it with a clear coat and then applied camp water proofer.

..I got caught choking on my soda and LoL..:D

..When asked what was so funny I replied, "but look, he said..

:bsnicker:
"expeditiony"

..Now thats some pictures I would have liked to seen as it sounded like quite the project just lining all them letters out..

Now thats some pictures I would have liked to seen as it sounded like quite the project just lining all them letters out..

Just went out to the garage and shot 2 pictures for a pseudo reenactment. Note: for this I used Al. foil and not tape (tape is better so it doesnt move and gets a better seal) and I only lined it on 3 sides. It was alot easier than it sounded I guess. Took about a minute from layout to cleanup for the real thing. Also shown was my test piece of wood to see if it would work before I did the real thing.

Now making the template was a whole 'nother story but it was pretty easy too using my cnc plasma cutter and a computer drafting program. I re-purposed the test piece for this project and it worked perfect. It is 1/8" steel.

Attachments

• m_mock brand (2).jpg
    m_mock brand (2).jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 531
  • m_mock brand (1).jpg
    m_mock brand (1).jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 524

...Wow...Thanks a lot for posting that info as I can see that being used in lots of ways...:biggthump

..:scratch: ..That might also be another item that yourself and Rockranger can also start making for other members..No scrap will go un-used..:D

I could use a "Ranger" template...

Might even build something for Ted, too.:eek:

..Are we putting in our orders now to be picked up on trail?..:D

..What..:shifty_ey ..I'm subtle..:bounce:

..Ok..What are you using for poles?..:scratch:

..I know that's the big trick...I've carried a 7x8 tarp for years as they can be used for several reasons including shade..

..I actually bought one of the upgraded thermal type tarps this year..Blue on one side and reflective silver on the other...It will help keep the sun from penetrating thru when using it for an awning..;)

..Ok..What are you using for poles?..:scratch:

Coleman 8-ft collapsable tent poles. They were around $10 each in Wal-Mart's camping section. They had a neat shade tarp that folded up in a small bag for around $10 (Ozark brand maybe?) as well but I already had the tarp. I also got 50' of glow in the dark 3/16" rope from Harbor Freight. I already had some rope but I couldnt resist glow in the dark!

They were around $10 each in Wal-Mart's camping section.

..Seriously..:wtf:

..I was actually waiting to see how you crafted them out of a couple old soda cans, dryer lint, and kite string you had laying around...:D

..any idea of how long that rope glows after sunset?..:popcorn:

..Two weeks from today I hope to be somewhere in the middle of Utah camping and fishin', waiting for everyone to show up down in Moab..:D

..I was seriously thinking about my harbor freight shopping before I leave and was wondering about that cord..Is it a decent enough cord for all around use just in case the glow doesn't last to long or are you just testing it out also?

It seems ok, I would buy it again. I have no idea about the glow in the dark quality, I will be finding that out the first few times I use it. It is 3/16" and has an outer nylon braid and inner cotton/nylon blend (or it could just be cottin) core. I divided the 50' length into 4 sections and it came out perfect for the shade structure.

..Two weeks from today I hope to be somewhere in the middle of Utah camping and fishin', waiting for everyone to show up down in Moab..:D

..I was seriously thinking about my harbor freight shopping before I leave and was wondering about that cord..Is it a decent enough cord for all around use just in case the glow doesn't last to long or are you just testing it out also?

So Tuesday night, we're having fresh fish for dinner?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..Trout and eggs for breakfast in the crisp mountain air...Mmmmm..:bounce:

..I am bringing along a 1 egg skillet to test out on this trip...I figure if I could cook 2 X-Lg eggs in it we could have mcmuffins..:p:

..:scratch:..Trout mcmuffins?

Back