Seriously getting ready for an Expedition.. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seriously getting ready for an Expedition..

...I got a deal from the seller over on Pirate for less then 4WP's pays for them, last summer or spring IIRC...Somewhere around the time you, myself, and your jeep buddy were out at Truckhaven...:scratch:

...It already comes with a bunch of goodies such as switches, wiring, connectors, and fittings that I figured would save me some time..

...I could always swap for a Puma later but I couldn't find any when I was looking..:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well that works, should make life easy installing it in your rig:thumbsup:

Punch in Puma 12v compressor on Ebay and a few vendors will come up with a buy it now price of $230.

Having an air tank is nice. Mine holds 200psi and makes filling tires very quick compared to those without tanks. Sometimes I dont even need to turn the compressor on, I just use the air pressure in the tank. I have basically the same kit as Tbars and it works great.

As far as storage goes I love the Rubbermade Totes 8 Gallon size. I put off road gear like straps, winch controller, tire plug kit and spare fluids and parts in 1 and then all my cooking gear in another. I have each one labeled since they look the same.

As far as tents go I have used a little 2 person backpacking tent for years. It is quick to setup and does not take up much room. I recommend getting a tent with only 2 external poles that hook to the tent for quick and easy setup. Vestibules are nice but sometimes I usually dont even use tent stakes so that makes vestibules not the best thing to have.

(Brian - remember the Colorado run in 2000, just outside of Animas Forks? But I digress...)

Yes I do. I think I even have a picture of it somewhere :D

OK, so an air tank sounds like a good addition. I guess I was always thinking about air tools, and didn't realize it would speed up the filling of tires. (Yeah, I know - miss the obvious...:rolleyes:)

The cool thing is I have room under the bed for a tank, since the tire is now on a swingout!

What are you using for hauling spare gasoline? Jerry cans?

A 2nd battery added would be a nice addition for back up.

Water supply storage?

Do you have a roof basket to carry gear? I use the weather proof luggage bag in the basket for light items to save room inside the rig.

I'll answer for me - Tbars can chime in later...

Fuel - I have 4 Wedco 20L (5 gallon) pre-Carb metal cans. I plan to build a mount on my tire carrier swingout to carry 2 cans, and, when needed, the other two can go in the bed or on the roof (roof rack to come.)

Water - I have a 6 and a 3 gallon Rubbermaid jug. I am seriously considering getting 2 additional military style plastic cans (either LCI or Sceptor). All of which will be carried in the bed or on the roof.

2nd Battery - Planned for in the bed, but not before this expedition.

Ah this is good stuff guys. I have been working on this as well on the explorer but have been needing ideas to complete the package.

We worry so much about how it performs but not on how we can stay with the rigs and keep going.

Sounds great Scott.

I think you & Tbars have shells on your beds, which make adding a roof basket easier to use for extra storage.

$100 basket for the shell
http://www.amazon.com/50x39-Aluminu...RIER-RCR5040A/dp/B003V1CC10/ref=pd_sbs_auto_3

Less than $100 basket for the cab roof
http://www.amazon.com/Komodo-UTVRR-UTV-Roof-Rack/dp/B001EL1M4M/ref=pd_sbs_auto_6

I have been kicking an idea around in my head to use a fuel cell for a boat. Placing this type of cell on the roof (in the basket) for ease of use since not only is it low profile, it is more stable because of the width and less height. The simple primer squeeze bulb connected inline to the fuel line that comes with these boat cells will start a gravity feed of the fuel. The fuel line can be simply placed inside the fuel tank inlet, squeeze the bulb a few times, and let the filling begin. :) Filling the cell might be a little tricky with it on the roof, but I don't think its impossible. There are a variety in sizes of these cells, so whichever best fits your needs is easy to accomplish.

A link to Bass Pro Shops fuel cells and all the accessories for them.

http://www.basspro.com/Boating-Fuel-Tanks/_/N-1z11d3t

That's an interesting idea, Gregg. If you do that, you should find a tank with internal baffles - all that weight sloshing around could be really interesting on a side-hill!

True, but it would be either full or empty, negating the slosh. Centered in the basket at the back end with most likely a small tube cage built around it.

I really like the idea of the dry bags (used for river floating) to store clothing, etc...

For something simple and to aide in feeling human, install a wet wipe dispenser in the bed near the tailgate or hatch. A solar water bag or solar water tank on the roof with a simple on/off hose with a shower head is great for cleaning up, and washing hands.

Also I use the multi spice dispenser when camping. The small burners w/fuel cans are great for instant cooking source and take little storage room. Or a roll of aluminum foil for engine cooking burritos, works too :)

...For those who are unfamiliar with Expedition's and Overlanding, here is a site that will boggle your mind and inspire you on extreme camping...:D
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/

For rock lights what about the tantrum led lights, my brother has them and they work pretty well. Low power draw which could be nice on a trip like that. They also mount with strong magnets so you could leave plenty of lead on them and move them around easily, or use them for work lighting for repairs under the truck at night.

I had the same aux fuse panel in the last mountaineer and liked it a lot, gmanpaint is using it in his rig now.

I have been kicking an idea around in my head to use a fuel cell for a boat. Placing this type of cell on the roof (in the basket) for ease of use since not only is it low profile, it is more stable because of the width and less height. There are a variety in sizes of these cells, so whichever best fits your needs is easy to accomplish.

If you are planning on a roof rack, also consider some of the ATV auxillary fuel cells. Might not be as slick as the "marine cell with fuel line option", but it is another choice. Since the trail appears to have limited off camber portions (from what I've seen so far), the increased COG should not be too much of a concern. . .

Here's a link to one vender (no affiliation) - - sure there are many more out there like it, with better pricing. . . When laid flat, only 3" high.

Link: http://www.justgastanks.com/store/i...id=318&zenid=0d5e56b79cae84765b7a0b13176a85e1

Enjoying the planning and discussion...:popcorn:

Paul
'91 Sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Anyone heard of Whytner fridge's??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370462800796
________________________________________________________________________________

...I stopped by and saw Dave, Yoshin, and Dixie today...:biggthump

...Tomorrow is their annual "Toys for Tot's" run at Cal Poly Pomona between 11-2..

...I picked up 2 of their latest revision upgraded Trasharoo bags...One is a "Tread Lightly" and the other is the "Blueribbon Coalition" bag both in black...Both of these bags have donations going to their respective namesake's...

..They currently have all three of their colors in stock but the before mentioned bags only come in black.. More info on these bags can be found in this thread..;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283643

hella_hid_006.jpg

Back