Seriously getting ready for an Expedition.. | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seriously getting ready for an Expedition..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ted ...why don't you just pick up a fridge like mine? WAYYYYYYY cheaper! Around a $100 bucks. Ive had mine for 10 years now, and still works great.;)

only downfall is they only work so good in hot conditions as they only go to 40* below the surrounding temp. Which is fine if running the A/C, but if it's 100* your milk ain't going to be good:(

317Z4E2HEVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-PowerChill-Thermoelectric-Cooler-40-Quart/dp/B00168QW6G

Amp draw is too high with the thermoelectric coolers. It would drain your battery overnight.

Amp draw is too high with the thermoelectric coolers. It would drain your battery overnight.

Not quite...but close. Normally I plug mine into the house a day before I go to get it cold, then I would transfer into the Ex the night before I leave. By the next morning at sunrise, the truck will still start, but much longer then that and yes you will have problems. You just can't let that overnight be 12 hrs or something. 8-10 is fine though.

...That is the first one I started to look at...They have them in stock at my Wally World for $86 plus tx...That would be my first choice over hauling slushy ice boxes for a weekend trip, 2-3 days max in unpredictable desert heat and I wouldn't think twice about running it in other areas of the country any time of year...

...This trip will last for about 2 weeks and I plan on stocking/hauling a bunch meat, Lumpia, and burritos...:D....This is also another reason for the inverter and a fridge for ac/dc as I should be covered with both power sources at all times and the fridge automatically detects both...

only downfall is they only work so good in hot conditions as they only go to 40* below the surrounding temp. Which is fine if running the A/C, but if it's 100* your milk ain't going to be good

...You pretty much answered it all right there...Those very reasons turned me away from all Thermoelectric fridges...The good is you can find them new for $100...

...Normal fridge temps are usually 37*-41* when keeping stuff properly cold...Anything above 80* ambient outside means I would be only hauling luke warm items at best hence it wouldn't take but a couple of days and my food would be spoiled...:(

...The Ranger, being a single cab doesn't have much space to hold the fridge except in the bed...Even with the shell it will get warmer in the bed if the sun is out, and if I open any of the windows, it would be layered with dirt in minutes...

...I could put a thermoelectric fridge on the passenger seat strapped down but that creates a couple problems...The trip being a couple weeks long and gas at a premium I don't plan on running the a/c unless it is about 100* and we would have to be driving during the heat of the day...The last couple trips I've taken on the Mojave road in March, it reached 80* plus the day or two after it either snowed or rained..

...My spotter and her bed have permanently reserved the passenger seat unless she's standing on a passengers lap...

...Just over the past couple years, the few trips I took with other groups other than EF trips, it was generally about 100* each time and I was the only one trying to deal with ice in a cooler...:thumbdwn:

just try'n to help Ted:salute: I know money is tight these days.

I'll even let you borrow mine for a bit if you need. Just collecting dust in the garage. I haven't been using it the last few trip because it takes up to much room in the truck....or it's that 37" round thing back there:rolleyes:

We do use almost every time we take a big road trip though....except last time where we ran out of room in the Volvo to take it....some little kid took priority:rolleyes::p:

...I appreciate it...:biggthump

...Again, if this wasn't a two week trip I would have bought that cooler a month ago...Hopefully others can review everyone's post on all these items in the future here, rather than searching all over like I've been doing for the past few months...;)

...This is probably the most money I have ever spent at one time on what I would normally call frivolous items...This trip these items not only have a value but will have purpose and will definitely get tested and used...

...I can also move these items between the trucks for other trips and since I am getting most of the high dollar stuff used and a good deal, I can sorta justify it unless I really start keeping a tab...:confused:

...:shifty_ey ..I scored my last frivolous item this evening and it should be arriving next week...:D

...Next up is to start getting all this stuff installed and wired up along with getting on what repairs and maintenance items need to be tended to before this trip...All relatively minor items but they do add up..

...It is starting to sink in on all the possible failures we can run into over the span of this trip...I can't wait for it to begin...:bounce:

...I'm just hoping more people would jump in on this trip and spend some time out there with us, even if it is only for a few days...:D

...Oh crop, another frivolous item I forgot...I'm heading off to chat with Zukmam...:burnout:

...Today I had to run around chasing parts for my customers, at least thats what I told them..:p:

...First I pick up the portable fridge...(A size comparison shot..:D)
trasharoo_norcold_004.jpg

...Then I did have to go by and pick up a couple tan Trasharoo's for one of my customers...I did find out that adventureduo.com is actually the trail report site for the owners of the company.

...This got me eager to go test fit my Trasharoo on the Ranger...
trasharoo_norcold_009.jpg

...But wait you say, it covers up the license plate...

...They also carry weatherproof license plate holders ($20) that attach to these bags and can be used on bumpers and all kinds of applications...(I forgot I had a whole package of these plates to use as a test subject)...You can't really see the clear plastic cover in this pic..
trasharoo_norcold_005.jpg

...The back side of it...On the bottom of the plate holder in this pic you can see an envelope flap which is held closed by a long velcro strip...
trasharoo_norcold_008.jpg

...And a couple installed pics with the license plate holder...
trasharoo_norcold_007.jpg

trasharoo_norcold_006.jpg

So how big is this Trasharoo?

I wonder if I should get one to hang from my spare tire???

Good stuff Ted, what size is that fridge? I'd like to hear a report on it after your trip;)

...It's the Norcold MRFT-60 and I believe it is the 64 qt. size...

...I did find out today the previous owner only used it 4 times in the last 2 yr.s on RV rental trips...Right now my search is to find out if Norcold and Engel share some of the same parts such as power cords, Transit Bags, etc...

...I'm also kicking around the idea of getting a Engel remote thermometer to mount in the cab for it...
http://www.myfishgear.com/engel wireless thermometer

edtherm.jpg

...I did find another writeup on portable fridges and it has info on ARB/Waeco/Engel/Norcold on Expeditionportal...
http://www.expeditionportal.com/equipment/equipment_reviews/fridge/Research/index.php

...I also found a link to the MFRT-60 owners manual and parts list with a complete exploded view...
http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PRODUC...T60/DocumentsForMRFT60/tabid/287/Default.aspx

...Then I stumbled across this for all kinds of expedition goodies idea's...
http://www.adventuretrailers.com/page/accessories/

...Before I forget, I am getting to the point where I need you to post up what all you are loading in yours and your Dad's trucks for this trip...

...My thinking is I still want to pack relatively light..I don't think we need 3 stoves or multiple other items but I would also hate to leave stuff behind...:(

...The new fridge fit's in the Ranger a little bigger than what I originally thought it would...My next concerns for packing for this trip is planning out spots for the spare tire, water, dry goods cooler, and other larger items while trying to pack for ease of use...:scratch:

...I'm not sure if I will be carrying spare fuel for the truck yet and kind of prefer not to..

I have been thinking about this, too. We can certainly share the load...

I haven't talk with my Dad about this yet - one of the things I want to do while I'm out there. The three of us can map out how we are carrying things, then post up. Others can either join in with us, or group themselves similarly.

Quick list:

Shower tent
Shower unit (yes, it has HOT water!)
Porta-pottie
2 stoves (Dad has one, too.)
Assorted cook gear (no Dutch Oven :( )
2 Ice chests (70 qt., 48 qt)
Fuel (1 or 2 20L cans)
Water (2 20L cans - 10 gallons)

...I am planning to haul all the meat and what else is needed in a fridge and hopefully this may lighten your cooler load but ice would be nice...

...So I won't bring my stove but, I will still bring my grill...:D
031908079wh1.jpg

...I can haul some firewood in the trasharoo but one of my other worries is getting to much weight on the rear bumper area...

...Hurry up and get out here dagnabit...:bounce:

...It was mentioned earlier about tables...I have been shopping some ideas...:D

...While I was out running around I saw a couple that I am interested in...
http://www.rei.com/product/765279
attachment.php

...This one I really like...It doesn't come with a stove or utensils but it folds pretty compact for all the storage it has...
http://www.rei.com/product/798433
698532f3-9b1f-495f-9bf3-2f6867bfc0b1.jpg

rei-camp-mini-kitchen.jpg

...I also started doing some updates to the first couple of post...

Pull down your tailgate and you got a table...problem solved:p:

...A few times this last year I actually with my cheapy stove, cooked on the left side of the tailgate and ate on the right side while the stove was cooling down...

...This worked out fine but some little problems were getting in and out of the shell while cooking and the tailgate gets real small while cooking...

rei-camp-mini-kitchen.jpg

...^^^..What I really like about this setup is it has storage:

for the stove
cooking/grilling utensils
plates, bowls, cups
eating utensils
2 fuel tanks
seasonings, etc..

...The pictures show all the bags and pouches but do not show all the hidden and inner storage of the bag...It would be nice to stow just one bag and have most everything in it for cooking/eating/cleaning while having less packages and stuff rolling around...It would also be nice to pull fewer bags out of storage when loading up the trucks to go camping..

...This would work perfect set up right off of the tailgate allowing me to sort out stuff or load/unload stuff while cooking...:biggthump

....I'm already thinking of trying to see how easy it would be to find a hanging shelf and possibly a short lantern holder for it...:scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just ordered a shower tent from Cabela's. I plan to be clean!

Attachments

• shower_tent.jpeg
    shower_tent.jpeg
    18.9 KB · Views: 732

Back