• Register Today It's free!

Service Engine Soon Light on...

rosadod

Reaction score
City, State
Northern, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Limited
SES light is on. Went to autozone... the code scanned was P1400. They didn't know what it was. Went online and found out it may be caused by an intermittently functioning Tube-Mounted Delta Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE) Sensor. Anyone ever have this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've seen a few vans that I had aluminum DPFEs and what would happen, the heat would get inside the aluminum and just fry it out. See if yours is aluminum...if it is - change it out to a plastic one.

-Drew

I had the same code on my '02 and replaced the DPFE sensor and cleared the code. Shortly afterwards I received a letter from Ford stating that there was a design flaw in the DPFE sensor and that the warranty was being extend for 2 years or 20k miles over the original factory warranty. Well Ford ended up replacing 2 more DPFE sensors under the warranty. When the 4th DPFE sensor failed I complained to the service manager and they looked up the date of manufacture of the one that they took out and the new one they were about to put in to make sure it was one that was made after they corrected the "design flaw". The one that failed was made before and the new one was made after the problem was corrected. So far I have not had the problem again. You may want to check this out.

Does anyone have a part number for this sensor? I have a 2002 4.0 L Explorer XLT, and the service engine light came on a couple of days ago. My car did not pass the emissions test when I went for inspection today. The P1400 code points to the DPFE sensor, but I can't find a part number in Ford online catalog nor can I find the stinkin thing under the hood. Anybody know where I can locate it?

melissa_addison said:
Does anyone have a part number for this sensor? I have a 2002 4.0 L Explorer XLT, and the service engine light came on a couple of days ago. My car did not pass the emissions test when I went for inspection today. The P1400 code points to the DPFE sensor, but I can't find a part number in Ford online catalog nor can I find the stinkin thing under the hood. Anybody know where I can locate it?

Drop an e mail to Torrie at Ford Parts Network ( http://www.fordpartsnetwork.com/ ), they are a site sponsor.

Good luck ........

Just had it replaced on ours a week or two ago. Same code and all. Take it to the dealer, I know they're having trouble with these, might replace it for free.

Thanks to everyone! I have all the information I need now to go to the dealership and get this fixed (maybe for free!) Special thanks to mikephotos for the keyless entry tip! I bought this truck brand new and the dealership never gave me the code. By the time I went back around to get it, they said it would cost me $100! So I've been doing without. I now have my code, and it WORKS! Thanks again to all...
Melissa

Melissa,

You're welcome! If they do not do it for free don't let them do it for anything more than $32 bucks (part + tax). It's so simple to do yourself...

I didn't bother fighting with them to fix it for free cause that would have been more trouble than its worth. Leave the car for the day or at the very least a few hours. However, it they're willing to do it for free and right there...go for it! Good luck with getting it fixed, hopefully it'll solve your SES.

Note: If you do it yourself, don't expect the SES light to go off the first time you start it up (unless you reset it with a scanner/reader). It took 3 times of cold starts/cycles for my to go off (two 1/2 days).

Mike

How do you find out where the problem is or this code you guys are talking about when the SES light comes on please?

One more thing guys i cleaned my air filter and all and someone put it back in for me i drove it for about 2.5km and parked and realized the mass air flow sensor to not be plugged in and this is when the service engine light came on? opinions?

Back