Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Servo Covers + Leaking Band Bolt

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by proydine, December 5, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. proydine

proydine New Member

City, State:
      Vancouver, BC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2003 Explorer XLT
      I'm investigating some transmission issues, and I noticed that my servo covers look different from all the ones I see in videos and online. They don't have a raised up reinforcement section, or any logos/stamps that I can see. Based on the VIN sticker and the transmission tag it is a 5R55S from 2002.

Is this a sign that some work has been done on it before?

[​IMG]

I also have this build up of gunk around the OD band adjustment bolt, I'm experiencing a P0741, could this be the result of low fluid from this leak? I haven't got the right setup and tools to drop the pan yet, but I'm planning on buying some new fluid and draining/swapping as much as I can as soon as possible. Do these bolts have an o-ring seal or is there a crush washer on the lock nut?

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. JK080

JK080 Transmission Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      North Ga
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      05 F250 6.0
      the servo cover looks correct for that transmission, the servo and band wont have anything to do with the P0741 code. the issue is the transmission is not engaging the converter clutch. The problem will be with the valve body and or the converter itself.