Dismiss Notice

to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews, discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Seven Days Five Trails Who is up for it?

Discussion in 'Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion' started by RockRanger, September 17, 2016.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. R.J.

R.J. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Habra Hts, CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      91 Navajo, 90 Bronco II
      I've been watching ultimate adventure's. I hope you guys film this whole trip and say "falken tires" "falken tires" "my falken tires worked great"

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. RockRanger

RockRanger Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Fresno CA
      86 ranger no more
      Callsign:
      KK6TDL
      I would take some 37" falken Wildpeak mts. My MTRs are down to about 60 percent. I have noticed a drop in the performance. However new tires isn't in the budget this year. Hopefully next year. This was on Rock Creek Road which is a mostly paved access road into Bald Mountain at 6300' today. About 4 feet of snow on average I would say. The spot I listed at the beginning for trailer parking has about 6' of snow across it right now partly due to the snow blowers clearing the road. Wonder how much there is on Dusy at 10,000'. Lots of downed trees all over.

[​IMG]IMG_0719 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
    4. exploregon94

exploregon94 New Member

City, State:
      millcity oregon
      1994 ford explorer
      Looks like a bunch of snow is still on the ground. I'm hoping all this winter weather is over. Up here in Oregon it's been rain/snow mix up until the first week of march. All our hills are completely covered in snow. I'd really like to attend this trails run your putting together. Iv got a Dana44 high pinion with a custom built 3 link suspension. 8.8 disc brake out back. Detroit tru trac up front, grizzly locker in the rear. 5.13 gears on 35s currently. The only skid plate I have right now is a home built one under the transmission to hold the link mounts. Think I should consider pinion shields? I also need to get my sliders done. Plans for a doubler in the works but it's low chance I'll have it in by then.. have you had to winch through any of the trails?

5. RockRanger

RockRanger Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Fresno CA
      86 ranger no more
      Callsign:
      KK6TDL
      Myself or a friend have had to winch or strap on just about every trail in the area at one point. Sometimes you can use a strap but other times a winch is the best option. Plus it just helps keep the group moving if you can self recover. Especially with just a traclock up front it can cause issues. My wife's cj7 has a traclock front and a detriot in the rear. We have reached its limits a few times on the trail. I would say a good skidplate is more important then sliders. You really need both. I have 22 inches of belly clearance and still hit it. As far as ponion shields that is up to you. But I just pulled my rear shaft this morning to get it fixed. The yoke at the pinion is spinning the caps. I have a 1000 mile round trip to death valley planned in three weeks I am getting ready for.

Big thing is MAINTENANCE!!!!! If someone brakes it can take 3 days to get parts and get back on the trail. Some brakedowns you can help.

Post up a few pictures of your rig.

6. exploregon94

exploregon94 New Member

City, State:
      millcity oregon
      1994 ford explorer
      Well I do have a winch, and straps. My winch can be used front or rear since it's on a hitch reciever. My rig has quite a bit of articulation, and maybe even more as of today. I repacked my leafs, took out the overloads and added 2 more to the pack to make 7 each side. Gonna do some test flexing tomorrow, but I'm really hoping it does what I want it to. I keep my rig in pretty tip top shape. Replacing all the hoses before I even think about leaving state since it's about a 14 hour drive down for me. I'll have a hydro assist ram helper here pretty soon as well which will give me a highly needed new steering box. Lol. Lemme see if I can figure out some pictures.

7. exploregon94

exploregon94 New Member

City, State:
      millcity oregon
      1994 ford explorer
      I swear I'll have some uploaded before the end of the millennium. Having to remember how to use technology lol. Need photo bucket, download app. Forgot password, forgot the emails password too. Lol. Now uploading a few to photo bucket. Should have some In a minute or three.

8. exploregon94

exploregon94 New Member

City, State:
      millcity oregon
      1994 ford explorer
      Alright let's see if this works. [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

9. exploregon94

exploregon94 New Member

City, State:
      millcity oregon
      1994 ford explorer
      [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. exploregon94

exploregon94 New Member

City, State:
      millcity oregon
      1994 ford explorer
      The last one was taken today. After my newly put together packs were installed

11. exploregon94

exploregon94 New Member

City, State:
      millcity oregon
      1994 ford explorer
      This snow photo is what it sat at before the springs for redone. Huge difference. Maybe like 3" more lift. [​IMG]