Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Seven Days Five Trails Who is up for it?

Discussion in 'Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion' started by RockRanger, September 17, 2016.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. zhanx

zhanx Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Up state NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2000 xls
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. RockRanger

RockRanger Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Fresno CA
      86 ranger no more
      Callsign:
      KK6TDL
      I will probably shoot some video and take pictures. It is hard to do when I don't have a passenger willing to get out and do some walking. My 72 year old dad might ride with me for part of the trip but he won't be jumping around on the rocks to take pictures and doesn't want to drive so I can.

4. BKennedy

BKennedy Elite Loser Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      We have been working on Mike's TJ, getting it ready for this run. Seems like every time we fix one thing, we find something else. He had the transmission and transfer cases rebuilt as they both had major issues. The work was done on a tight budget at his Father-In-Law's shop. I think the mechanic was pissed at him or something because he impacted the Rubicon Express skid plate bolts on so tight that my 235 pound impact would not loosen most of them. Ended up using a six foot breaker bar to break them loose. Had to pull the skid plate because, even though the mechanic pulled the transfer case, he must not have noticed the U-joints in the front drive shaft were loose, real loose, I'm talking move side-to-side with your hand loose. We were tracking down a rapid thumping noise that only seemed to be in 4WD. Think we found it. If its not the U-joints, then its something with the front locker. Don't think that is the issue because we pulled the diff cover and everything looks to be in great shape. No chunks, flakes or slivers of metal in the lube.

We pressed out the U-joints and the double cardan CV fell apart. More parts on order.... Also noticed the T-case is leaking fluid at the newly sealed seam between the SYE and the case. Now, Mike has to take it back up so the pissed off mechanic can reseal the case, after we repair the drive shaft.

Last week we replaced both front hubs, brake pads, and rotors. While doing that, noticed that a few of the steering tie rod nuts were loose, causing slop in the steering. The TRE's were still OK, so it must have been driven very little since they were loosened. I am guessing, same mechanic. Still need to flush / bleed the brakes and change out the rear diff fluid.

On the Explorer, I noticed I have gotten quite a bit of play in the steering. Have two bad rod ends in the drag link. Think they wore out prematurely due to the binding I was getting at full passenger-side droop. Ordered two from Ruff Stuff.

I still need to fix the steering, and change out both diff's fluid. Purchased Lube Locker gaskets for both diffs so its not such a pain next time, and the time after that, and the time after that... Not going to mess with the engine main seal leak until we get back. It hasn't dropped the oil level, it just leaks enough to make a mess. Also am waiting for the Sam's Club down here to get two of the Duracell AGM 34/78 series batteries in stock because both of my Optimas go flat in about ten days, while hooked up to trickle chargers. I don't have a SC membership, but found out one can get a 24 hour trial membership. The only draw is the stereo pre-sets on the rear battery, and the ECM on the front. Should not be enough to drain them down.

5. RockRanger

City, State:
      Fresno CA
      86 ranger no more
      Callsign:
      KK6TDL
    6. RockRanger

City, State:
      Fresno CA
      86 ranger no more
      Callsign:
      KK6TDL
      Ten days till we hit the trail. Four rigs confirmed and a few still trying to clear their work schedules so they can make it. Right now Dusy is still closed however I heard a group has been up there all week working on the trail trying to get it cleared. Fingers crossed they do and we can get on Dusy right from the start. Can't wait.

7. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      If the Dusy is open, we will be one of the first groups of the season to run it.

8. Brian1

Brian1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Albuquerque, NM
      1991 XLT
      Callsign:
      KG5BAQ
      I'm back out. Going to hit the Rubicon and some other trails instead I think. Dusy will not be open.

9. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      They are working on it all next week, so it might open up, but it might not. It would have been nice to run into you on the trail. Next time..

10. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      Harbor Freight is having a parking lot sale. I got three of the 12" tool bags for $4 each.

11. RockRanger

City, State:
      Fresno CA
      86 ranger no more
      Callsign:
      KK6TDL
      Less then a week out. Dusy won't be open for this trip but I have made a few changes to the schedule and it will still be an awesome trip. Also planning a second part in early October to run Dusy if it is open.

12. RockRanger

City, State:
      Fresno CA
      86 ranger no more
      Callsign:
      KK6TDL
      New schedule.
      Sunday morning start swamp to swamp lake.
      Monday. Stay st swamp lake. Fish hike or relax.
      Tuesday. Finish swamp and go into brewer. (Resupply if needed)
      Wednesday. Brewer to Coyote. (Resupply if needed. I will be as I am picking my dad up in Shaver to ride with me the rest of the trip.)
      Thursday. Stay at Coyote. Hike fish or relax.
      Friday. Coyote to Strawberry to Mirror. Camp at Mirrior.
      Saturday. Mirror to highway and home.

Tentatively planning a Dusy trip Oct 3-5.

• Like Like x 1