• Register Today It's free!

shackles fitted!

swampyrbs

Reaction score
City, State
slough england
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer
fitted this morning looks ok kev did a good job on these they fitted like a glove i left wheels on and before undoing old shackles i wedged some wood so spring didnt hit chassis when undone and managed to use bottle jack to lower spring enough to fit?
03122008001.jpg
before
23022009.jpg
25022009001.jpg
after. i may leave the front as it sits slightly lower and looks better than level ,just got to swap tyres to alloys and get front wheels alligned then its job done .thanks again kevin for shackles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice job! They are fantastic quality- I am so impressed!
So how much lift did you get at back and at front mate?

hello h ,36 1/2 rear and 35 1/2 front so after rear settles it may lose half inch or maybe not ill have to see after a week .thats with 265 75 16 with 20mm tread from floor to bottom of wheel arch. wasnt a bad job to do didnt even jack car up just make sure before removing old shackles to block with wood so it dosent hit chassis or youll have to pump jack another 2" or so good luck with yours.rich

looks good i love those tyres

I'm pleased they fitted ok Rich. I'm going to make some standard length ones for mine. I didn't realise they were getting quite thin under all the crud. Thanks for your comments. I enjoyed making them.
Kev.

i cant believe the difference in strength? the one you made are amazingly strong compared to the old ones i took off ,i mean i could literally twist them opposite ways they are that weak its quite scary to know they were on there! thanks again kev top job

ill have to inspect mine over the weekend and may ask for a standerd pair?

ill have to inspect mine over the weekend and may ask for a standerd pair?

You have to take them off really to evaluate the remaining metal and decide on its current condition, as the shackles bolted on will seem rigid and wont flex much- as they are clamped by the bolts top and bottom.
I intend to fit mine the forst chance I get- hope by sunday. I remember my stock ones were in poor condition when I removed them to underseal the car in summer. I guess we can count on roughly the same condition bearing in mind the age of the Ex and the weather in this place!
When I take my stock ones off I will do a short video of the flex in them by squeezing one with one hand and post it here via YOu tube!

Well guys- I have just done my KEV P Shackles, and TT twist, and I am glad to report- complete success- I had an easy time with it for a change!

I started with 33 inches on each corner and now have 34.5 on each corner, thats 4 turns on the TT and I was surprised that its only a poxy 13 mm bolt!
Kevs Shackles are amazing and fitted really well- TOP work in making them so perfectly mate- because of your skill, this job was so easy...you were mm perfect!

Top tip dont use wd 40, get the Pro stuff for 6 quid called- 3in1 proffessional High performance penetrant spray, black and orange can. Its the Bizz!!! I went out a few days ago and sprayed shed loads on everything I had to loosen.

You have to take them off really to evaluate the remaining metal and decide on its current condition, as the shackles bolted on will seem rigid and wont flex much- as they are clamped by the bolts top and bottom.
I intend to fit mine the forst chance I get- hope by sunday. I remember my stock ones were in poor condition when I removed them to underseal the car in summer. I guess we can count on roughly the same condition bearing in mind the age of the Ex and the weather in this place!
When I take my stock ones off I will do a short video of the flex in them by squeezing one with one hand and post it here via YOu tube!

Sorry guys I could not do video, but my stock shackles were rotten- a good few onces of rust pieces like slate shards fell off as I drifted out the old bolts.
I dont think it would have survived a decent off road session and may well have twisted and broken in the end!

Thanks H
I've just made some standard length ones for mine.
I ended up taking the right leaf spring completly off to get the shackle bolt out. While it was off, I painted the leaf, U-bolts and seat. Looks nice now. Just got to do the other side.
Glad you got yours on ok.
Kev.

Nice Job mate!
You will have to post some pics of yours when its all done here- would love to see her!
Thanks again mate.

Today was my first real ride in the Ex after the shackles and TT lift......the wife and I went to see my parents. We both noticed straight away that the ride had improved!!!!
Before the Ex would crash down into a pothole and lurch out- now it seems to ride over them much better- Must have something to do with winding up the Torsion bars 3 turms on each side.....So its all good news!!
Well happy.

rides loads better than stock i agree! i need to raise my front some more as the self leveling light keeps comming on after 10 minutes so i need to get a longer bolt from somewhere .overall im well pleased with results and ride,now i need to do something else to it maybe a decent exhaust or a sports cat or both (dreaming?)

Yeah thats the thing- once you start...its hard to stop doing mods.........I noticed that my left rear tyre has not got much tread left before the wear indicator-of course the wife dont believe me as I have been on about bigger tyres for ages!
But I will start looking around on the net for ideas and see what fits- want a deep tread so I can off road when I want....I know I will have more noise- but thats a trade off I can live with. Thinking grabber or something like it!! Any suggestions guys??

rides loads better than stock i agree! i need to raise my front some more as the self leveling light keeps comming on after 10 minutes so i need to get a longer bolt from somewhere .overall im well pleased with results and ride,now i need to do something else to it maybe a decent exhaust or a sports cat or both (dreaming?)

Be careful mate- I left it at under 2 inches raise at front- I understand it causes excessive wear if you go higher on the driveshafts because of the increased angle!

Be careful mate- I left it at under 2 inches raise at front- I understand it causes excessive wear if you go higher on the driveshafts because of the increased angle!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cheers h but i didnt do the full 2" in the first place as the bolt maxed so still got an inch or so to go on the front! ,rich

Back