1. Tip... Did you know that if you hold most smartphones sideways you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum?
    Dismiss Notice

for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Sharp CB-2460?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by agzaretzka, July 19, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. agzaretzka

agzaretzka Elite - G-d Bless! Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Kennewick, WA
      Year and Model:
      1991 EB
      I've had this CB radio in my garage for about fifteen years, and know nothing about it (or CB in general). Now that I have an Explorer, I'm wanting to add this CB, assuming it works. So, is this a good model? reliable or problematic? etc.....

I understand the volume, squelch, and channel controls, but what are the ANL (on/off) and DELTA (+/0/-)? (As I said, I have no experience with CBs, except what I have been reading here). It has a little signal power meter on the front; how is that used? Also, on the back, it has an external speaker connector and a PA speaker connector. How do they differ? only in that the external connector disconnects the internal speaker and the PA runs in conjunction with? or ...?

And, anyone know what year(s) this was actually made?

Tomorrow I'll start cleaning it up and see if it works.

Thanks for all the help!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Ray Hutchinson

Ray Hutchinson Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Dana Point, CA
      Year and Model:
      '93 XLT
      agzaretzka,

Sorry, I have never seen or even heard of Sharp making CB radios, but maybe others have. Is it a 23 (old style) or 40 channel (newer) radio, Obviously, a 40 channel radio is more desirable so you can find a channel that isn't too busy that you can use in common with the group or area you're running in. If local custom or group preference is to use one of the channels 24 thru 40, and you only have a 23 channel radio, you're SOL.

AS for the "ANL" that is the Automatic Noise Limiter, a circuit that reduces the intensity of some types of recieved static, especially sharp pulses like spark plug "pop". It doesn't do anything for transmit. Most folks turn the ANL on and leave it on.

The Delta tune is usually a type of fine tuning that allows you to shift the reciever i.f. section slightly up or down in frequency to compensate for a recieved station that is slightly off frequency, or to reduce a frequency specific type of static. You can shift up or down slightly to improve the quality of the recieved signal.

Hope this helps, and let us know if you get it working and/ or have more questions

4. agzaretzka

City, State:
      Kennewick, WA
      Year and Model:
      1991 EB
      Thanks for the info. Its a 40 channel - I would not have bothered if it was older ;)

Seems to be working fine; not being familiar with CBs I don't know if the amount of static I have is close to normal or not. Also tested with external speaker, and PA works too. It fits nicely in the ashtray slot; just need to make some trim for it. Hard part is deciding where to mount the antenna. I know the best is up top, but I'm leaning towards putting it in place of the am/fm antenna. . . .

5. agzaretzka

City, State:
      Kennewick, WA
      Year and Model:
      1991 EB
      Antenna Mounted

I like the look; seems to work ok too....

[​IMG]

6. nbfinsen@aol.com

nbfinsen@aol.com New Member

City, State:
      Bristol, PA
      I used to have an old Sharp CB (they didn't make many, & not for long), one of the best little radios I ever owned. I don't remember mod #, mine had nice easy-grip rubber knobs. Had it in my "big-truck" back in the early 80s, nice rugged l'il radio, "talked" pretty good too. My advice; get you a magnet-mount K-40 antenna (they come pretty well matched right outta the box) & put it in the middle of the front 1/3 of your roof & if the radio doesn't have a "mic gain" (I don't think it does) get an Astatic "Red Devil" pre-amp mic for it, or if it does, get Astatic's noise canceller stock mic for it & use the mic-gain pre-amp in the radio to raise & lower your modulation (voice). If it still works you got a good l'il radio there.